Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The job for Harris all the time, is to get the Democratic vote out. The numbers are there if they can all be got to vote. Undecided now, moving to her side will be a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

”Apathetic”- yes I think you’re correct- but “swing” voters, yes.

Who knows the real statistics of how a presidential debate influences voters/ but the polls one week later should help tell the tale one way or another - let’s put it this way, if either candidate does sh01te at this debate for whatever reason, it will impact them negatively

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,929 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Trump setting the bar low for Harris is a really dumb move, because if she easily meets the bar and actually surpasses it, it makes him look poor in comparison. You would think he might have learned from his swipes at Biden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,389 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Just as important to Harris is voters who are unlikely to vote, but would vote Democrat if pushed or vote anyone who shows interest in them.

Sky News went to a park last week in one of the Swing States, some interviewed didn't even know who was running.

The pertinent question though, is their enough time for the grass roots to mobilise and get them voting.

It's a coin toss at the moment who takes the White House, this is reflected in the betting exchanges.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Sky News went to a park last week in one of the Swing States, some interviewed didn't even know who was running.

That really is quite staggering - I get not being interested or not having an opinion , but how could you not even know who the candidates were?

• Advertisement

Indeed- anyone who says X is a shoe in is talking nonsense- Trump may fail to capitalise simply because he’s using the same tactics he did 8 years ago and they’re just no longer working- but a pithy little motto against Harris or a derogatory nickname will certainly do damage- as I write that, it just shows how fcked up America really is.

Harris could fail on everything from a successful hate campaign that she’s not fit to be president down to her gender, ethnicity and apathetic voters on the day- there’s no point in shying away from it, there are some Americans out there, no idea how many, that just will not vote for either a female or ethnic president - I wonder has research been done on that but they’re definately factors at play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

There is stuff some people know about that is not on my radar, and there is stuff on my radar that some people have never heard of. Thats people. There are some people who consume zero news. Actively turn off the news when it comes on, and only read the sports pages of the red tops, if that.

Social Media records what people like and displays relevant content to them. If a person has never mentioned Trump or the election in a comment, or liked a picture of Harris, they end up in the opposite of an echo chamber, where they don't hear about that particular subject at all.

I'm sure my knowledge or lack there of on a wide range of things would stagger some people. I didn't know what Taylor Swift even looked like until recently for example.

It is staggering.

But to be fair understandable to a degree.

Everything is politized over there, from top to bottom, from schools to the presidency and everything in between.

And everything now is conducted at 120 miles per hour, vote for me the other person is evil and will destroy you.

For your own sanity checking out is probably the best thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Brexit Vote Leave, with it's relatively unlimited budget, put a huge amount of resources into this demographic. The people who've never voted, have no interest or knowledge of politics, many not even registered as voters.

It's why the amount of money raised it important. Theoretically it allows you to fund activists who can go to these sort of places and get people voting and, merely by showing interest in these voters you can get them to vote the way you suggest. Though there'll always be a counter temptation to use the excess funds on bigger TV and newspaper ads which are 'safer', but really only reach the usual voters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,852 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

a few friends of mine, in their 40's would honestly have no idea who the leaders of FF or FG are, and don't care. I could imagine a large % of the population of the US have no interest either in their own elections

The Republicans at state level don't bother with this vote.

Instead they have a better tactic, supress it.

Minimal amounts of polling stations which leads to people unable to get there and if they do hours long queues just to vote.

A lot of these people would be in lower paid jobs where taken a day off to vote wouldn't be possible, and even if they had a day off would they want to spend it in line. You can't blame them.

The cost of getting this vote isn't just about knocking on doors, it's the cost associated with getting people to polling stations.

It really takes a small army with a huge amount of cash, the target is tiny but can be consequential.

I just don't think the time is on the side of Democrats to do, even allowing for record numbers of volunteers and cash.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Allied to that , in a lot of GOP controlled States they have implemented laws to make if difficult to help people vote - Like you can't put on a free bus service to help people get the the polling stations etc.

it’s the “little” things alright - there were huge efforts to get the ethnic vote going for Obama if I remember correctly and it obviously paid off -a group notorious for not voting or indeed registering to vote- I assume the same structures are in place this time?

It’s definitely a given that regardless of how “good” Harris does at the polls, these structures still need to be in place come election day - you would wonder though- females, ethnic minorities- they’re given a candidate with both qualities and still there’s doubt that they’ll vote for her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,548 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Taken in 2021, definitely not a plant

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭scottser

What are Trump's policies?

1. Establish an autocracy and jail any opposition
    2. Demolish any climate action initiatives
    3. Revoke workers rights, demolish unions
    4. Revoke rights and supports for gay and trans people
    5. Make women subservient to men
    6. Kill NATO and force Ukranian surrender
    7. Turn Gaza into a holiday resort

Seriously, this election is set up that anyone would literally prefer a monkey in a suit to Trump. But yeh, lol your head off there, lol boy.

Don't expect a coherent reply, same person just reregs, posts this craq, and then gets banned. And repeat ad nauseam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

8. Eliminate the department of education. For reasons.

And Department of Justice. Not being bitter or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,736 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Oh, I don't think Convicted Felon Trump and his flying monkeys want to eliminate the DoJ. Just weaponize it worse than it was under that John Goodman look-alike and CFTrump endorser Barr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,221 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Dont forget about getting rid of the IRS cus taxes = bad and if you nuke social security, the DoE etc who needs taxes anyway…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Maybe Trumps dream is to utter the line, "Roads?! Where we're going, we don't need roads"

And then hop into a golf cart on his way to the next hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,141 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

basically ways which you turn America into a sweatshop for the billionaire class

More like the baby Sinclair in Dinosaurs.....

And I'll never miss an opportunity to post this clip of the current vice president grilling him on exactly what you pointed out above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,141 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

the newest weird MAGA trope is to insinuate they don’t know what Harris’ policies are when just last week we had the ‘centerists’ complaining about the very specific corporate tax rates she’s proposed and about her anti price gouging plan, nevermind the banger speech she just gave at the ratings buster DNC about codifying roe and building 3 million affordable homes in her first term, among other things.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/free-kamala-kellyanne-conway-claims-sexists-in-campaign-staff-dont-trust-harris-to-talk-policy/

expect a rash of “new” users pretending they’ve never heard of these policies because they have their orders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,736 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Cory Booker trying to not bust out laughing at Barr is epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

Anyone who posts to this thread, or even just reads it, is more informed about American politics than a significant portion of American voters. The ignorance of some Americans about their own government is staggering. I saw on CNN or MSNBC that one voter blames Biden for the overturning of Roe v Wade because as president he should have done something to stop the Supreme Court. A lot of Americans think that the president has direct control over the inflation rate and he could set the rate to whatever figure he wants. There was a guest on the Pod Save America podcast recently who wrote a new politics book. He said he once asked his sister who she is voting for governor, and her reply was "what's a governor".

I don't know if swing voters generally have a better understanding of politics but I would hope so.

There's a whole bunch of underlying issues in there.

The whole "The president caused inflation" and things like that is partly due to the fact that they are told that the US is awesome and rules the world , so at a fundamental level a large swathe of Americans struggle to understand how the US could possibly be influenced by global issues and also can't grasp that the President cant fix these global issues simply by clicking their fingers.

And that's before you get into their complete misunderstanding of how their system of Governance works.

Advertisement