Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Band Aid 30 was comparatively a flop; and singles make even less money now than they did ten years ago so I wouldn't have much expectations for it.

The Range has the Halloween stuff out in full now, which likely means the Christmas stuff is on the container ships from China to follow.

Only got about 20% of the way in to building that Lego set until I hit some critical parts needs, so will do a Bricklink order over the weekend for the obvious bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

I can confirm that The Range has already started to put Christmas stock out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Tell you what, can see the difference in the traffic already with schools starting back last week. Even leaving at 6.20am this morning it took me nearly an hour to get to the office, was doing the same journey in 30 minutes 2 weeks ago.

A lot darker this morning too when I woke up… the darker days are on the horizon big time, noticed it at training last thursday how dark it had gotten for 8.15 when we were finishing up. We'll be back training on floodlit astros in a couple of weeks I reckon.

Noticed the autumn TV schedule is starting up soon too, seeing shows coming back now that summer is over & schools are back. Just 3 weeks to the 100 day mark so expecting things to start moving at a fair old lick now.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I can't imagine having such a treck to work. In the new house now I've 4 options, a 20 minute shortcut walk if it's fine, a 30 min walk if it's after been raining, drive 9 mins or else get the bus which is a ten min walk and a couple of mins on it. I don't think we appreciate it enough that we don't have such a commute outside of Dublin.

Post edited by Smell the glove on

When all the schools and colleges are back its not unusual for the drive home to take me 2 hours. Albeit on certain days. Can see myself reverting to using the train on those days to be honest.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Santa and his elves might be busy getting Oasis tickets

Probably the most anticipated reunion in my lifetime anyway (born 1989).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Don’t see it at all. It’s been done numerous times and nothing can out do the original.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Seen oasis in 96 when they were at the height of their powers and they were a good watch. Seen them in 00 when they were blown off the stage by Supergrass and seen them headline Witnness in 02 and they were absolute garbage. Gave up after then because they were just trading off past glories. Good that people who weren't around 20 years ago get to see them and best of luck to anyone going but I'd imagine I'll be sitting this one out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I'm sure tickets for Oasis will sell out instantly but I don't get it. They have a few good hits and I guess the reunion is nostalgic for a certain generation but I think the Gallagher brothers are absolute ignoramuses. I won't be spending my money on tickets.

Hoping for a few Malahide announcements for next summer though. Handy location for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭BK5

First record I ever bought or was bought for me really as I was only 12 the Christmas it was released and it's still in my top 5 Christmas songs of all time.

Yeah if Coldplay is an indication of demand than its going to be so stressful but ill go in for the battle. Saw both solo but never together. Id be happy if that was my only summer gig of 2025, Mania is going to take a lot out of my bank account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

I queued overnight as a young teen outside HMV on graton street to get tickets to Oasis. I have been at most of their Irish gigs. I will be glued to ticketmaster when/if the tickets go live, knowing I have very little chance of getting them and an 8 hour flight to book to see them.

Have seen them live 14 times, was there for the first tivoli gig (still have the purple & orange t-shirt to prove it) and saw them in Manchester too just as live forever was released as a single, safe to say I'll be doing everything I can to see them again this time.

There's no way they'll be as tight as they were in 96 in cork and Loch Lomond but it'll bring me right back to my early 20's and I cant wait, just hope I manage to wangle tickets now.

Well its official, 2 dates announced for Dublin so far, 16th & 17th August. There's 4 more nights in Dublin allowed for allegedly, i.e. a total of 6 nights.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I was thinking seeing as Dublin are the last 2 dates of the tour that they may have allowed for extra gigs here. Nice one!

Still reckon tickets for that will be a total mare. It'll make coldplay look like a local church raffle.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Probably lol. I won't be hugely put out if I don't get tickets but it would be a nice trip down memory lane 😊 A lot will depend on the price of them too.

• Advertisement

The perfect dog toy doesn’t exist…..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Got some nice Christmas bits in the Carraig Donn sale, some only available in-store, but worth a look.

Online, the candle holders are worth a look. I've also bought a few sets of these glasses :https://www.carraigdonn.com/collections/killarney-crystal/products/jewel-glass-gin-glasses

https://www.carraigdonn.com/collections/gift-home-sale

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Tippman24

Do the Residents Associations in the general vicinity of Croke Park get tickets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I wonder how many dads and granddads will end up buying them by mistake on Christmas eve 😉

• Advertisement

Added to the collection!

I think these are going to be big this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

My little one has few which we picked up over our travels over the years. Nothing super special bar the price.

Is the BT bag a life bag?

• Advertisement

There's a mad crazy on social media for them at the moment in Selfridges.

It is, they range from €2.00 for small, €3.00 for medium and €4.00 for large.

They are charging 15c for paper bags.

I mainly got the bag for life to bring to Aldi to embarrass my mother.

You can't be having BT notions in Aldi freshpopcorn, your poor mother 🤣

John Lewis just released their top Christmas toys, and it’s a festive mix of chaos and joy! From LEGO sets destined to scatter across your floor to a wooden deluxe kitchen playset that costs an eye-watering £250, this year’s list is sure to keep you busy. So here are the FULL top toys:

Connetix Magnetic Tiles Rainbow Motion Pack – £45

LEGO Sleigh – £39.99

Barbie Mysteries The Great Horse Chase Ultimate Stable Playset – £69.99

Play-Doh Rainbow Swirl Ice Cream Playset – £20.99

My 1st Record Player – £27.99

Hexbug HEX BOTS Wall Crawler Gecko – £29.99

Melissa & Doug Wooden Vending Machine Toy – £63.99

Bonnie Bear – £32.99

Wooden Deluxe Play Kitchen – £250

Squish-a-Longs 14 Pack – £14.99

Alan Wright, Toys and Books Buyer, says: “We know how important it is to bring people together during the festive period and this factored heavily into our decision-making when pulling together this year’s Top Toys. Whether that’s by building toys together as a family or role-playing with friends, each of the toys encourage social play in a unique way no matter the age.”

And there you have it—John Lewis’s top ten toys for Christmas 2024 which has quite a price range from £14.99 up to £250. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭pigtail33

All looking quite retro and not a battery or plug to be seen (apart from maybe the record player). I wonder will they be the top 10 bought toys by the end of the season.

Sent a pic of the Lego Sleigh to my son and he instantly asked me where to get it, he's 22 and still loves Lego.

Beautiful weather here today, typical back to school weather! Hard to believe when looking outside, that Hallowe'en is only two months away.

They've been playing an ad on Q102 recently for Caffrey's Furniture and the start of it reminds me of the Dunnes Christmas ad music. It gets me every time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

The sleigh is gorgeous, we got it last year!

It's probably just me but I hate the idea of "domestic" toys for kids. Realistically it's girls that will get the kitchen, the ironing board, the hoover etc. without going on a big rant, it just really irks me. So yeah the kitchen would definitely not be bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Went for a swim today and the water was the nicest it’s been all year, hopefully we will get a few weeks of nice weather now. In other and far more important news our youngest got her masters results this week and finished with a first, then she had an interview yesterday and got a job offer today. We are absolutely over the moon, she’s looking at us as if to say why are we more excited than her? You have to be a parent to understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

That was my lad with his LC results and college offer!!😂

First world problems but really am nervous about the Oasis sale tomorrow

I'm a very experienced ticket buyer but this is another level on demand. I thought the Garth Brooks and Ally Pally Darts demand was crazy

• Advertisement

From what I’ve seen online tonight the presale went well. A lot of people got tickets and very little complaints about not getting tickets.

It’s September this weekend, which is unusual seeing as it was June yesterday and 2019 last week.

One of the girls in work today said see you all in September when she finished today and initially I thought she was on leave until I realised….

This year… wow it’s gonzo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Madd002

I thought that too, the jingle then he starts talking, workmates thought I was mad saying it, but I love xmas so definitely got the gist of it.

Joined the queue straight from the waiting room and 450k ahead of me… there goes any chance of a ticket for me anyway.

OH tried and there was 480k ahead of him and then the system went down. Mental.

**** Oasis and the bandwagoners

Sorry for an offence

The same 22 year old who now loves Lego was given a kitchen from Santy when he was about 6, I think it was a Little Tykes one. One of my pals had to q for ages in IKEA a few years ago to secure their kids kitchen for one of his son's also.

I do agree with you that predominantly toy kitchens would be bought for girls though.

My kids are now 22 and 30 and they still get presents from Santy 😊🎅

• Advertisement

Ours too, they are 29 and 24 and still love opening their presents on Christmas morning 🎄.

Advertisement