Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bus gates on Bachelors Walk and Aston Quay

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That's not universally true. Some bunching does happen due to car traffic but the majority of bus routes through the city centre are on dedicated bus lanes. Bunching is happening because there are too many bus stops and buses are impeding each other.

You can't blame the private car for traffic and delays on Dame St. That's entirely caused by buses and insufficient capacity through college green. The complete absence of a pedestrian underpass at either side of OCB and CG is a huge contributor to congestion and removing the private car hasn't and won't change that. DCCs decision to give such short phases of lights in the city core is another strong contributor to congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭alentejo

Full agree with this. The center of Dublin is like Peak Bus. Also way too many traffic lights in Dublin. In addition, tightening to some turns makes it extremely tricky for some buses to make left / right turns allowing in some instances a single bus getting thru a single traffic light phase.

While buses are going to be the solutions to Dublin's public needs over the next 10 to 20 years, I do feel that the sheer number of buses trans versing thru narrow city center streets is not ideal and doesn't really add to the attraction of Dublin city center.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Yep it's definitely in a van drivers interest to have less cars on the road but I think the volume of car users will always stay the same, they'll get shifted around every so often like with this latest plan. Traffic has never returned to pre covid levels in my opinion due to wfh and if we could somehow persuade mammy and daddy to stop driving all their kids to school the roads would be a dream. I get to enjoy two months of pure bliss during the summer when the primary schools close!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I agree, Double Decker buses aren't ideal. Though at least they are going EV now, so quieter and less polluting.

It is telling that Amsterdam has only 160 city buses while Dublin has about 1,200!!

Of course Amsterdam has 5 Metro lines and 15 tram lines, that is why they don't need so many buses and it very much shows on the more attractive street space. Though the space is mostly used for cycling, walking and urban space, rather then cars.

Long term, I think we should aim to replicate Amsterdam, though obviously that will take decades, in the meantime we have to make the most of the buses with schemes like this, until we can build Metrolink, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Yeah but there's two company's running buses in Amsterdam GVB the same company that runs the trams and some bus routes. But RNet runs most of the buses that run into the suburbs. So it's a different setup to here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

GVB operates all city buses in the Amsterdam Metropolitian Area, which has 2.4 million people.

R-Net isn't a company, it is a network of public transport companies who operate across the Randstad. It actually includes GVB.

The Randstad is an area that covers multiple cities, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague, Utricht. 8.4 million people. It isn't just the suburbs of Amsterdam!

R-Net is more like a brand, like Transport for Ireland, an umbrella for multiple companies operating over a large area.

Other R-Net companies do operate services from other nearby cities to Amsterdam, but they are more like BE/GAI commuter services from the likes of Maynooth to Dublin and I didn't include those buses in my 1,200 figure for Dublin.

BTW, small correction, it seems that GVB has 233 buses, though some of those include longer distance commuter routes too which would overlap with BE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Be interesting to hear what things are like this morning. Haven't been able to persuade myself to leave the house yet in this rain but looking at Google maps, the traffic on the M50 looks to be at peak morning traffic levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,819 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

: (

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,555 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Before bus gates:

50-55 minutes driving

55-65 minutes by bus

After bus gates (this morning):

?? Minutes driving

72 minutes by bus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

😏 I suppose now that we've removed through traffic from the city now, traffic will be much better and bus journeys faster. Or will they stay just the same because they have failed to address the key problems the bus network suffers from: too many bus routes, too many bus stops, too long dwell time and inappropriate traffic signalling.

The private car cannot currently be blamed for congestion on Dame St or George's St - there it is almost entirely the result of buses and taxis trying to negotiate a a pedestrian and vehicle bottleneck at college Green and especially in the evenings, wholly inappropriate numbers of taxis.

The private car does cause congestion but the policies of DCC had made operating one in the city so awkward and difficult with routes so circuitous that only necessary journeys were made in the city anyway severely limiting congestion by this type of traffic. The study about through traffic was flawed due to a limited definition of the centre, where traffic through to destinations most would consider city to be classified as through.

This change to traffic will not be successful in shortening journey times in this specific instance since it fails to address the main problem, right turning bus movements onto OCB from bachelor walk and the segregation of pedestrians from major junctions. The private car had such low priority here already that completely removing them will offer very little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Are you comparing like with like? Today was a wet morning and I'm sure a lot more people were in cars / buses to avoid the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭alentejo

In an ideal world, it should not matter if it is raining and you use public transport, wet or dry, your journey should be the same in duration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,035 ✭✭✭Daith

Tbf, BusConnects is trying to change some of the routes so they're not all sent down the same streets. So it's not like there isn't a plan, though the effectiveness of that is to be determined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

In the real world, though, rain tends to push some people who ordinarily walk or cycle onto the bus, and some people who ordinarily bus it into their cars. The traffic is always worse when it rains, that is a simple fact of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,310 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Even an entirely traffic isolated bus system would suffer from stop dwell times increasing as people try to leave umbrellas up til the last second etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It was also Tuesday, which is a far heavier traffic day than Monday. Mondays and Fridays are still the most common WFH days, so traffic was always going to be heavier today than yesterday.

Also wet roads and reduced visibility requires slower and more careful driving and higher chances of accidents, which leads to longer journey times on wet days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

If only. Still plans to run every spine via O'Connell Bridge in some capacity rather than spreading them out across the entirety of the river.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,555 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

No hence, the 55-65 minutes (this is the average it has always taken when Ive taken the bus). This was just today, so will see if any improvement for the rest of the week.

Also, just to clarify, the time above doesnt include the 10 minutes walk to the bus stop and waiting 10 minutes for an actual bus to turn up (3 phantom buses never appeared).

In that 20 minutes driving, Id have completed about 30% of my journey.

Additionally, I dont mind getting the bus. Its the frustration at figuring out if the bus will arrive or not and if it does, will it be full = will I get into work or time or not.

Strangely I've heard mixed reports today with some people saying the journey was very quick and others slower than usual. Not sure what would cause the variance in reporting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,388 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Just cycled through it. I can't effing believe this has had nationwide coverage for what feels like months now over a few meters of road and a turn. We are not a serious county.

Someone described it as the biggest change in city centre infrastructure since the Luas Cross City, which depressingly is probably true.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭cgcsb

So can we have the change 24hrs now and push the diversion back to jervis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Is the left turn to O'Connell street gone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,819 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

But that's the point. Spreading them out takes away the bus connectivity of bus connects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

There's still connectivity in other areas. A couple spines can be rerouted to run down Church Street and across Father Matthew Bridge and they would still have interchange potential with every other spine (barring the H-spine, but that thing is so disconnected from the rest of the network as it is anyway…)

Not really, all spines could connect without every single one connecting at the same location.

This evening there's heavy traffic inbound on Aaran Quay, and almost all of it seems to be turning right onto fr Mathew bridge. The quays east of that seem to be just about completely car free. South quays look mostly clear too

• Registered Users Posts: 7 biker16

Burgh quay to aston quay..seen a few private cars try go straight ahead and 1 delivery van as well...guy in a highviz pointed them left or right...im not sure if they obliged as i was turning left onto dolier street then westmoreland to use fleet street for access onto aston quay for deliverys.

Seems to be working to purpose at the moment...

Negatives would be instead of using a public road to go straight ahead im driving through temple bar a high pedestrian area full of tourists and there was quite a few of us along with the odd private car....

also to get onto aston quay you have to turn onto bedford street and there was a car and van parked on kerb blocking it...will happen all the time there and eventually truck wont be able to turn and everyone will be jammed back to westmoreland...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Advertisement