Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself?) Any update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Shoog

Your opinions are consistently right of centre. I have never seen your express an opinion which could be remotely described as left of centre.

That's what it would take to consider you a centrist - a tiny modicum of balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I do think there's a certain irony that you've implied the site is filled with trotskyists but you draw the line at people viewing you as right wing….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

So you've observed every post I've ever made on this site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Shoog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭thomas 123

will this be revised then @Necro ?

it’s gas it was thanked a number of times - it really shows that nobody reads anything 😂

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yeah I'll edit in that I posted in relation to this thread…. because it still stands about this thread😂 I don't think I even posted in the other one you brought up.

• Administrators Posts: 54,009 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This is not the thread to discuss whether a specific poster is or is not centrist / right wing / left wing. Drop it please.

yeah t’was a general bit of feedback with an example that’s all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,184 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

How dare the mod be biased against antisemitism and islamaphobia?

Wait - what will be the bias then?

What is even the bias now???

Mod - Thread closed

Multiple mod warnings routinely ignored and the thread has, predictably, become another generic immigrant bashing thread

Very concise as you wanted, where is the bias?

We have an active immigrant bashing thread if you want to continue with that:

Overheal you are intentionally being a bit silly here - you know that’s not the point being made but to be honest I couldn’t be bothered spelling it out for you any further.

Let’s leave it at that as we are dragging this thread off topic now.

And obviously The stabbings and murders in Germany, while potentially related to immigration in some way , are not really anything to do with Irelands refugee policy… as you know. But nice to see your own bias showing and assuming all conversation around every potentially immigrant crime should be tossed into one corner of the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Ahwell

As mentioned earlier there will be new legally binding rules for social media platforms brought in this February. The owners of these platforms, which I assume includes boards.ie, will then ultimately be responsible for the content that appears on their site. Coimisúin na Mean will have the power to fine those companies for breaching the new rules.

It remains to be seen what effect this will have on Boards. It may be minimal, but it may not be. Will the sites chronic lake of mods bear up. In any case, it will no longer be "mod-bias" preventing you from expressing certain views, it will now also be the law.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,752 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I don't believe any views which would fall foul of these new laws are in any way allowable currently on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Ahwell

I wouldn't be so sure. A real issue could be how long it takes to take down certain types of posts. I think everyone accepts that there is not enough mods and there is constantly a large volume of reported posts for the few active ones there are to wade through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Ok, back on track.

My sum up:

1: Make life easier for the mod team, to encourage more mods.

How?

Mod beers! (joke!*)

But seriously, cleaner site charter, with links in the charters for definitions of words people may be unfamiliar with, (sealioning, trolling etc).

Work with forum mods and cmods to tailor specific fora charters.

Personally, I'd get rid of the DRP, have bans time limited to a week if possible. It's too much of a headache, and I don't really see the point in it. But if people want it kept, fine, but there should be a paid employee that should be dealing with it, not the volunteers, so it can be dealt with in a timely manner.

Get more mods. Stop looking for Goldilocks mods and start PM'ing heavy users that aren't total bolloxes (I am pretty sure I would be in classed in that category, before people accuse me of wanting to be a mod again).

Stop being so lenient with time-sinks/sealions/low level trolls. Your mods are your most precious commodities. Treat them and their time like it.

2: Get Odhran, or whoever the boss is these days to publicly state their vision for what they want boards to be. What is the mission statement? What's the purpose of this site?

3: Bring back netiquette. I know I ran foul over the last 24 hours. My posting was not of the standard this site should strive to be, so I apologise for that. But I hope the owners/admin can remember, this is the boards.ie playground, and boards.ie decide how users should play in it. If the users don't like it, tough. Move on.

4: Update this and have mods freely direct users who are posting below the standard to it:

https://web.archive.org/web/20141001203637/http%3A//m.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq

5: Make a US Politics Forum. Maybe it will die on it's arse, but it would be nice to have a forum where the following threads could be posted together (for example)

• Strike Force 5 (Daily Show, Late show, Late night talk show thread)
    • Project 2025 - whats it all about?
    • The Trump Thread
    • The Harris Presidency Thread **cough cough**
    • The US election thread
    • US political Youtubers thread - They could even have their own they're so popular these days.
    • US politics YLYL meme thread (You always win)
    • etc. etc.

6: Once the site is beginning to get sorted, bring back a voluntary subscription fee. I don't know if it's possible with Vanilla to have a subscriber only forum, but the biggest pains in the arse fora to mod could be hidden from non-subscribers.

7: Put out a monthly HQ bulletin. Just let us know that someone gives a hoot about the site and the community. The silence from the owner and management is absolutely deafening at the moment. It can be about the development of the site, any community news people want to share, congrats to winners of monthly tournaments etc, etc.

I still haven't admitted defeat with boards.ie

I think the enemy is at the gates, and it's sh*t or get off the pot time.

Hopefully, we'll know what direction boards is going in so we can make up our mind about whether it's worth sticking around or not.

*Not a joke. Mod beers really were the heart of the community and allowed the place to flourish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,124 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

If it is" immigrant bashing" why not merge it with the other one ?

Surely there should not be any thread that is bashing any group of people indiscriminately, fullstop ?

As Ahwell has said above and others of us have said from the outset of this thread , Boards will be liable for its content going forward by law . Anyone that thinks there is not harmful content being posted regularly needs to read some of the hottest threads on a bank holiday weekend !

Or maybe we should all just go off enjoy our weekends and leave them at it ? Now that's a thought ;)

Its pretty obvious that a group of posters do not accept moderation here and want to speak unfettered . That has never been the case with Boards before and certainly won't be happening here with an owner who wants as little investment as possible , so won't want to be paying large fines, lets be clear .

I think the last few pages make it pretty clear what has been happening with the various CA threads and reduced number of moderators able to consistently moderate a baiting, trolling , whinging group who will never be happy until Boards allows them to say whatever they want freely, with input only to ban those they disagree with .

...Claiming mod bias when posters on both sides of the debate have had warnings and bans .

...Posters insulting others , all while claiming they have been villified and then rushing to report , on a feedback thread ??

The same posters who accuse others for reporting ...

Fwiw I still think we need more mods on CA or close / merge any contentious threads so they can be watched more closely .

I am not into the US threads generally so would support a separation of US threads to their own sub forum .

Any potentially divisive or polarising threads should have stricter rules ( politics forum level ?) for posting to avoid misinformation being disseminated eg accurate and verifiable back up or statements which can be examined . Anybody repeating misinformation should get an automatic threadban .

Threadbans with escalating time limits as suggested by a few may reduce DRP but there are repeated offenders who may need more .

Mods posting statements and warnings on thread if not deleting posts does seem to be making an impact already . It is time consuming though for them so is there an option to get Vanilla to apply something like the card system again ?

And we all need to support our volunteer mods, on all sides . No point decrying the lack of mods if posters question every move they make and persecute individual mods for their privately held opinions . That is the most disingenuous trend that is on this thread by posters who I think feel they would benefit from free rein to behave how they please by driving mods away . We have seen this in action already on a few occasions .

Not saying posters should not have the right to question or complain but the way its happening now is not good either for posters or mods ..could DRP be done privately and posted to archive once resolved ?

Boards will and would be definitely gone already if it weren't for these individuals volunteering their valuable time , so I think everybody should get behind them .

An update within the next month / 6 weeks would be good ?

And regular updates , on a specific thread stickied / reserved as per JP Liz VI , so we can see any progression over time .

Edited to remove quotation marks at op request .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,930 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I remember back when it was just After Hours and there was a politics forum there was an over zealous moderator who just banned everyone who didn't have hold their views it got to a tipping point where the site admins or someone in power removed them from modding the forum and that user closes their account (no doubt is probably back on here), that was back when the biased moderation issue was recognized and dealt with, shame we can't go back to those days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,124 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Del

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭uptherebels

You mean an individual mod, not moderators as a group. You do understand the difference?

Read the full context - it’s about 4 pages back max.

The grandstanding is torturous 😂

(edit - in relation to my quoted comment which you have purposefully misquoted out of context to support the rest of your post. I note you also didn’t quote my original comment for reasons hopefully to do with site usability and not in an effort not to get called out)

Post edited by thomas 123 on

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't think that happened. Sounds like more nonsense.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 7,914 ✭✭✭growleaves

This web site shouldn't be saved because it is net-bad. The discussions are not good ones and the effect it has on people is not good. Most regular posters would be better as people and happier by spending less time on the internet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

I find these discussions addictive. However I will try to log on less and less, if I can.

I also find the internet in general addicting.

It's designed that way in fairness. Not really your fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,397 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

There isn't a problem with moderation in AH at all, I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Many of the good posters like a German state head and woopsie are gone. And lesser by still noteworthy ones.

All that's left is an us and them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement