Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

Just on American exceptionalism and how they view their place in the world, I was thinking recently about when Saoirse Ronan was on Stephen Colbert and they were talking about accents. Colbert said he thinks he doesn't have an accent. Not taking a dig at Colbert but it is an example of how some Americans view America that they assume that the general American accent is the default accent of the whole world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,615 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not sure if that's how I'd interpret it… I've seen "don't have an accent" used to mean doesn't have a strong accent of that region \ country as opposed to any accent at all.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Interesting to see that Kamala Harris has dramatically shifted the perception of her in recent weeks

Now at a net unfavourability of +1.6 , having been out at +16.8 at the end of June.

Trump has been pretty steady at roughly +10 net unfavourable over the last 6/8 months with very little change.

Biden is ou tat +18 Net unfavourable so Harris doesn't seem to be taking a hit from that at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

It’s why Trump does what Trump does- he knows his audience inside and out - he’s not talking to us- his talking to a very specific audience with a very specific mindset. I’d say we give certain Americans a lot more credit than they really deserve

Interesting thanks for posting.
    I guess if Trump keeps doing what he’s doing he’s going to get those same results again and again - looks promising for the election, unless you’re a Trump voter of course 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

You are kidding right….

This thread is home to THE MOST ill informed posters on this topic.

Go back to when the thread was discussing "cheap fakes" the week before the debacle that was the Biden debate performance…which was unusually scheduled for June, with no audience and no media and see for yourself how deluded posters are…

Or look what happened to the poster who suggested Biden would be replaced a few months back.

This thread is a complete echo chamber where anyone with an alternate opinion is ostracized.

I love reading this thread for that reason, every now and again someone will pop on here and suggest that maybe Biden isn't up to the job given the state of his health, or maybe Harris's popularity is a media construct (using unrelenting positive media spin and supportive polls, backed up by an army of so called fact checkers), and they usually get abused by the rabid cultists on here who have been posting on this topic for nearly 8 years…they believe everything they are told by a clearly partizan media infrastructure that in the last two months alone have buried the assassination attempt and amplified Harris's apparent likability (from one of the most unpopular VPs, in an unpopular administration).

Posters on here suggested a month ago Trump would pull out of the election and no one challenged them.

IF this thread is evidence of anything it is evidence of how completely clueless Irish people are when it comes to US politics….looking down on people who don't agree with us is an Irish past time, you should understand that about us…we can get very nasty toward people who do not run with the herd.

It's worth remembering, Ireland is the only place, including America, where Joe Biden received any visible positive public affection in large numbers, he was getting abused everywhere he went in the US….no wonder he loved it here…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,135 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Go back to when the thread was discussing "cheap fakes" the week before the debacle that was the Biden debate performance…

Are you lost this thread was created July 21st.

I don't think Harris has been in the race for 8 years

Biden hasn't even been racing against Trump for 8 years.

I think you're lost. But tell us how you really feel about how well informed and clueless others are. No sense of irony there.

looking down on people who don't agree with us is an Irish past time, you should understand that about us…we can get very nasty toward people who do not run with the herd.

Or sense of irony here, reading your post back to yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Maybe his MAGA cap slipped down and blinded him?

"Rabid cultists" indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,388 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Harris has been largely unknown for the last four years - gave very few speeches or interviews (and wasn't allowed to by the Democrats). Being centre stage has really helped her.

• Advertisement

and wasn't allowed to by the Democrats

Where do you asspull that from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Presidential would be the exact opposite to how trump acted before during and after his tenure, the areas I mentioned that Harris has to shine would be those that show if she is presidential or not. Still have a section of the population that would be dems or independent that need serious convincing to vote for a female potus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,136 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

So RFK supposedly cut off a whale's head with a chainsaw and drove it home on the roof of his car years back according to his daughter.

And Trump is to reportedly name RFK in his transition team.

Totally not weird at all.

We're about 2 weeks away from finding out environmentalist RFK is not dolphin-safe, yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Rfk and Tulsi endorsements within days is a huge boost for Trump

The anger in the media demonstrates that, great to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,615 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sadly the whale is the more intelligent one in this scenario.

I think people who fell for RFK's environmentalist charade need to reflect on where they get their ideas from.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The "huge boost,"

No no I'm sure that brainworm roadkill guy and 'im not a republican but i wanna be Trump's VP' tulsi both had significant bases of support that wouldn't have supported Trump anyway without their selling out to him this week, just you wait… any day now we're gonna see the boost, just buckle up your cowboy boots…

The problem is neither person endorsing Trump, 'officially' or not this week, comes as a surprise to anyone. Gabbard has been fawning over Trump for months/years, going as far this summer as to preen herself as a potential VP pick of his. RFK Jr, much the same thing, seen in leaked footage in strategy calls with Trump weeks ago, and it's been indicated for a long time that RFK's stunt election run essentially played a similar role for Trump's campaign that Kanye was meant to in 2020 (which also flopped).

There is not likely to be any more 'boost' left to give to the race from either of the 2 chancers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,054 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Also important to note, their "endorsement" also comes with a caveat, because neither "endorsed" him until they were effectively added to Trump's team. Gabbard is now a member of Trump's campaign team, and RFK Jr has been promised a role in Trump's administration if he gets in.

I think there's some sort of Latin term for when you do something for mutual benefit.... Quid Pro.... something....

Now that's both weird and really sad,

Trump is such a narcissist that he's blowing campaign money to run ads in the Mar a Lago district simply because he likes to see his own ads on the television there. Nevermind that the area is more than likely going to vote for him in the general election. A total waste of donors money.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/trump-campaign-reportedly-wasting-money-in-florida-because-hell-be-mad-if-no-ads-on-tv-at-mar-a-lago/

A 5-figure ad spend may not sound like a lot (and Lincoln Project does it all the time in the same market, for the same reason of knowing it drives Trump insane) but that's money he's not spending picking up any more votes where he needs it, such as in Georgia, where he lost by 11,780 votes in 2020.

Real tortoise and hare stuff, while hare lazes about at his house, rolls around in his golf cart and admiring himself on TV, team tortoise is hitting the road on the "Ground Force One" bus tour.

https://www.startribune.com/tim-walz-heads-to-georgia-this-week-to-campaign-with-kamala-harris/601131654

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/kamala-harris-tim-walz-georgia-convention-momentum-rcna168039

Female POTUS? Let’s throw in Female Ethnic background POTUS for good measure. And in the midst of our discussion we see the real problem - one candidate has to “prove” to well many people I’d argue, that she’s up to the job, is the correct gender for the job and the correct ethnicity for the job.

The other gombeen, will try and tear her down- that’s essentially his “job”- thats the 2024 presidential election in a nutshell.

For Harris to convince her voters and persuade a section of the undecided she needs to act and speak presidential- but she has an amount of barriers and prejudice to overcome even before addressing the idiot Trump.

Trump on the other hand needs to do everything legitimate but mostly underhanded he can to illustrate that she’s not presidential 😀

And after writing that I’ve really now realised how fcked up that country is - I need a lie down 🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,054 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Debate rules seemingly agreed for ABC debate on Sept.10th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The only downside for Harris with that system is that, she'll use up some of her time rebutting the lie Trump has just told, each time.

Until the Harris camp confirms this I'll assume this is just Trump's latest attempt to control the narrative. Is there any indication for example they have agreed to debate him with the muted mics where he can just interrupt her during her responses with the audience at home being none the wiser for example.

I don't think she's going to spend much time playing Defense, if the convention was any indication. Rather I think she's going to invest her time going on the Offense and forcing him onto the Defense, eg. "say Donald you know a lot about planes since you flew with Jeffrey Epstein 7 times," calling him 'weird' etc. and doing other things she know will cause him to unravel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭chooseusername

She just needs to stick to the first lie, and stick to rebutting just that one, again and again.

RFK's sister Kerry

Daddy was the attorney general of the United States, the chief law enforcement officer. Donald Trump raped E. Jean Carroll, has 34 felony actions. He has contempt for the poor and suffering, for ethics, democracy, and healing. His cruel sneering at human rights for suffering people in America and around the world, the cause that was so loved passionately by my father Robert Kennedy. So I’m frankly outraged and disgusted by Bobby’s, my brother’s gaudy and obscene embrace of Donald Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

She doesn't have to do anything for her voters except turn up and not completely screw up as they are as you said her voters, she just needs to convince the people that I already mentioned.

Could you see Trump or Vance try this?

Advertisement