Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Talk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I don't intend to mislead anyone and am more than happy to be proven wrong with data.
    I'm basing the statement on Bjorn's video where he drove that far. I'm not the type of person to drive on zero percent, but I am comforted to know theres a few KM there to get to a charger or whatever. I think he said there was something like 3-5kwh available in reserve. The battery is supposed to be 61kwh of usable energy. If you have SMT (I don't) can you post the capacity and the reserve? It is tesla, they change (worsen?) random things very often!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Wolftown

For anyone approaching the end of the bumper to bumper warranty, I'd recommend logging a service request.

I logged one for a charge port flap that wasn't closing flush, and they sent a technician out.

He had a good look around the car and identified a few suspension components that are now being replaced FOC.

The car seems to be driving perfectly so I would never have noticed any issues. Had he not checked everything I'd likely be paying for these parts shortly after the warranty expired.

EDIT to add: the bill for this work would have been around €1200 if outside the warranty period.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

What would you recommend checking @Gumbo ?

Mine is up on Sept 9th but everything seems to be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Would have thought suspension components would be wear and tear items rather than warranty items?

Suspension.
    all bushings, arms, joints, racks and sub axles.

I’d query any little noise or niggle just to get it into the system before warranty expires.

Now these are things you can get your local mechanic to check and then anything found can be highlighted in the app.

Normally speaking yes. But credit where credit is due, Tesla say no. They replace any suspension joints, knuckles, bushings etc while under warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Hard to argue with that as a service.

one could forget musk was at the helm 😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,867 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Anybody with a sentry pro referral code that ye want used? Apologies if not allowed here, was thinking the Tesla referrals thread would be a better place but didn't want to respect that thread and get people's hopes up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭allinthehead

It gives you access to sentry events stored on your car remotely.

Basically when the alarm goes off, you get a notification so you can open app and view the car through the cameras.

But with Sentry Pro, any sentry event sends you a notification, therefore allowing you to log in and view the cameras for each event. It may just be someone walking by but it could be someone hanging around the car waiting for the right time to break in. You could then talk to them through the tesla app :)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

I'd never heard of it. Is this a Tesla thing or 3rd party ? If anyone using and would recommend ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭pah

By a third party

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

This was supposed to be included in the most recent update, but i haven't seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭innrain

Did anybody notice the Air Quality Index, AQI?

https://www.notateslaapp.com/news/2141/first-look-at-teslas-weather-forecast-and-air-quality-index-feature-in-update-2024261

Initially I thought it is taken from a database online but it seems the car is measuring it (?) Quite interesting if it is true. Tesla has access to all this data and can map it in time and space. So far the worst I noticed it was in Blanch this morning 157 but around schools it seems to pick up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I got a message from Tesla the referral program is back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭allinthehead

I wonder does that control the auto air recirculation that appeared with the last update?

☀️

• Advertisement

dunno, think it said back since July 24th

was a link in a message

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭josip

Why does Tesla include air quality measurement hardware in their cars when they no longer see the need to include such basics as USS and indicator stalks?

Post edited by josip on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,353 ✭✭✭markpb

..and we are mostly fine but China and some US states suffer with air quality especially during forest fire season so a worthwhile piece of code to add

Some hardware, usually a laser and optical sensor, is needed to measure the particulate concentration in the air. If that hardware is already included in the aircon systems, why is it needed for the various modes? I'm not aware of any aircon functionality up to now that needs to know the PM2.5/10 concentrations in order to function.

did Tesla not stop with the car based sensors a while back and move to online reports so no hardware in the car itself

Form this 2023 TMC post, it seems like the car measures it. Or at least it did on the Model S.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/particulate-air-quality-inside-the-cabin-measurement.312107/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭sk8board

feels like a big signal that forward-looking sales are flagging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Conar

I

I'm about to cancel an order that was promised for delivery verbally by their sales, and on the app, as late August early September. I feel like a bit of a dope cos I sold our car too early in preparation and now it's pushed back to November. It would have been my 2nd Tesla in the driveway (bit sad I know) but I'm going elsewhere now cos I just can't be dealing with their shite and reckon I'll be squeezed to get a December reg in order to keep the 0.99% (which they "promised" today when they rang) Vs reordering for a 251 but risking the 9% tarrif.

Anyway, bit of a rant but I guess from an Irish perspective at least supply isn't keeping up with sales. I have seen quite a few people on the Facebook group talking about being let down so there's definitely loads of people wanting a Tesla that can't get one in a timely manner.

• Advertisement

Overall car sales are down 8.4%, ICE and EV.
    Mercedes in trouble now for storing cars in fields in Dublin City. Major stock piles.

I was over the long mile road yesterday and Audi appear to be storing cars in the small shopping centre car park there. All arranged in a colour coded fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭sk8board

exactly - the only reason for Tesla to bring back the referral scheme, (which they hated in the end and wanted rid of commercially), is that they need it

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭JOL1

Financial incentives (Finance or Referrals) come at a cost to the provider so of course these will only be used to boost sales…there is no mystery here. Other car manufacturers use incentives in the same way (0% apr finance) … I am not sure why it is usually perceived with a negative tone. Incentives like this do influence those "sitting on the fence" about ordering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Tesla sales are down 15.5%, Audi up 1.6% the EV selection down 25%, Mercedes up 7% EV models down 3.5%, VW EV's down 38%,

EV's are not doing as well as last year, plus any fan boi has one and has taken a hit on its value,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Conar

I agree that the incentives definitely boost sales.

My point above though was they don't currently seem to have enough supply to satisfy demand. I've sourced another car so will be mailing them this evening to get my deposit back. They've lost a return customer through their stupid sales techniques.

Maybe next quarter they expect more cars so worry about selling all the units.

I love my Model 3 and I'll continue happily driving it for another few years at least but unless they've managed to iron out their delivery timelines I'll not be getting another one. I don't have time in my life to sell my car early and rent til one arrives, or wait til last minute and deal with the stress of a quick sale.

Those same ICE/Hybrid fan boys (as you put it) that bought petrol, diesels or hybrids have also taken a hit. New cars depreciating is not breaking news. No idea why people still quote that silly mantra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭ablelocks

we'll be getting solar panels and 10kwh battery soon. Currently have a 232 megane etech and a 171 grand scenic diesel

once we get the solar sorted, I'm considering getting another EV to replace the grand scenic.

From my ltd research so far, if i go for a new car, it's very hard to get past the value of model 3 highlander (wait time wouldn't bother me). Or am I wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,417 ✭✭✭positron

At the moment Model 3 looks best value for money EV proposition (if buying new) - Especially when you consider all the features in the car that will be expensive extra in other cars. The only other value proposition is probably MG, but Tesla software and overall ecosystem is vastly superior.

The downside is that you are supporting Elon's antics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,132 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Depends on what you mean by extras.... it's spartan inside, the fit and finish is still so so between cars , service calls for fit and finish are beyond common.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,417 ✭✭✭positron

Fair point. I was thinking mainly panoramic sunroof and memory seats (and easy entry etc that comes with it). Both extra options on ID4, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭DrPsychia

For me, despite the headlights being worse than the pre-facelift M3, Matrix headlights as standard is a big bonus, which is usually an expensive option in other brands.

I certainly agree there are tradeoffs. For example, Autopilot is undoubtedly inferior to travel assist from VW. The interior, as you said, is rather spartan. Tesla are ahead when it comes to warranties compared to the likes of VW.

Personally I prefer the design of the new model 3 compared to the Seal, which I believe will age badly. The fit and finish of the Seals interior is undoubtedly superior to the M3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭blobert

Question about charging improvements that might be possible with current Tesla architecture:

I was watching this video of CATLs new Shenxing Battery which claims 4C charge rate in an LFP battery.

If you look in the video of it in action (using a 600kw charger) you can see it basically charges at above 250kw for the whole of 10-80% (in fact it peaks at about 537kw).

What I'm wondering is if you stuck one of these into existing Tesla architecture (lets say the new Juniper Model Y and it stays at 400v) does it mean in theory you could do a complete 10-80% charge at the full 250kw output of an existing v2/3 Supercharger?

I'm thinking if that is possible it would be a no brainer for Tesla to use (I believe there is talk they are going to). It would probably mean you could do a 10% - 80% charge of an 80kw Model Y in about 13 mins with existing architecture which would be incredible, not a million miles off half the current time.

It would also mean you could stick with existing chargers for a lot longer. I would imagine Tesla have no interest in replacing all their chargers with 500kw+ ones and if they were able to make use of full 250kw charging that would allow them to have really fast charging with existing infastructure.

I drove about 2500km around Europe in my Model Y this summer and while the infastrucure is light years ahead of Ireland (in France especially) pretty much the max charger power of non Tesla chargers is 300kw. If they've just put a lot of these in at service stations etc I'd imagine that's what will be there for the next 5+ years so it would probably make sense to look to batteries that could max out these chargers as opposed to 500Kw+ charging ones which there will be essentially no chargers capable of doing.

Anyway let me know if what I'm suggesting is likely to work with Teslas or if there is some technical issue I've not thought of.

Incidently even with my current LR Model Y and doing some long journeys of about 1000km in a day I found that I needed to stop more than the car did. But if Juniper or future models could get the 10-80% charge time down to closer to 10 mins I think then long range trips would be no slower than ICE for most people. And if they could do that with existing Tesla superchargers 400v architecture that would be an easy win for Tesla.

Highland fit and finish kicks prior Model 3 iterations, the biggest M3 drawback is last of indicator stalks

Nah the model 3 face-lift is the previous model with bits. Tesla aren't wining any design awards for looks never have mostly function over form.

And considerably cheaper than the competition. €8k cheaper than the Seal for example. It comes down to personal taste on minimalist interior or the traditional button fest of other cars.

Fit and finish is on par with its Chinese cousins, Kia, BYD, Hyundai etc Issues with all of the above with regards quality too.

• Advertisement

Disagree, the Koreans and Chinese are better put together tbh.

10 years ago no. Tesla even after vehicle 3 in their arsenal still can't get panels or mechanisms right. I personally know various people who've had drop ins or ranger call outs for shakey noises or squeaky nonsense. Very focused on weight and materials and efficiency only recently thinking about the drivers comfort and cabin experience outside of software. That would be more accurate.

I’ve had eNiro go back because of leaking boot seals and rear passenger seals. ID4 with spontaneous door opening and sunroof leaking.

I’ve seen BYD Seals with paint flaking off the bumpers, BYD Atto with plastics flaking off the stalks.

Audi with failing rear motors and drive units. Porsche Taycans failing.

These issues are present across the industry unfortunately. You can be luck or unlucky it would seem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭zg3409

The big issue would be warranty and warranty risk. Charging batteries fast is great in demo videos and great when battery has had a full 1 hour to be preheated to ideal temperature. In reality it's a higher risk it may fail after many years.

To also sustain charging rates it's likely wiring between charge port and batteries would need to be upgraded, the batteries themselves may need to be designed to take higher power. The battery cooling system may need to be upgraded to offer better more even cooling. Some of these issues are reduced of the 400 volt battery is changed to 800volt as only half the current flows so thinner wires needed and wires heat less. The cooling issues still persist.

Tesla could probably charge existing cars quicker, but it does increase risks of warranty claims.

A slight limitation of existing superchargers may also be grid limits and power sharing among chargers. If every car takes 250kW for 20+ minutes then it's likely site limits might reduce everyone's rate as presumably the supply to each site is rated that not every car will be drawing maximum power at the same time for a long time.

I've had 3 Teslas, a 2015, 2022 and 2024 build, the improvement from 2015 to 2022 was significant but the improvement from 2022 to 2024 new model 3 is also significant, nearly all plastic inners gone - now it's carpeted or soft material, all round laminated glass now, very solid doors, a much comfier and solid seat. Visually it may look similar from the outside and has the same motor and battery as previous generation but there is nothing repeated from inside the cabin, everything is new, I wasn't expecting such a change being honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I've had 2016, 2017 and 2022 teslas, the jump in quality from the 2014 I test drove to the 2016 facelift I bought was a big jump, there was another big jump in 2022 in the 3, and the highland (which I drove to belfast to test drive last year!) is another jump ahead. The quality is improving a lot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement