Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I would have no problem watching someone play football, supporting them however is totally different. I completely agree with @Seathrun66 I'd rather see him nowhere near our club as I couldn't bring myself to cheer him on.

In a different vein, if Red Bull ever take 100% control of us and change the badge or name etc I'd be done with the club, I couldn't bring myself to support that either.

Hopefully the deal has fallen through and we move onto someone else.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Some tweets in the last hour saying Solomon's move isn't certain as the two clubs haven't agreed financial details and there's some difference between them. Don't know if there's anything to it, but could be a convenient way of backing out of the deal without alienating a section of the fan base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Yeah, i phrased that wrong, i didn't mean people have to support him as an individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Ajax now making a move for Solomon and apparently we made a bid for Hamer of £13m which obviously was rejected and we're not going to improve our offer. The board are starting to really tick me off. Paraag "I do contracts in my sleep" is running out of time to back up his talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

As an opening offer is it so bad though? They paid £15m last Summer when they were PL and so he’ll hardly have increased much in value as they’ve dropped a division. Hopefully it means the player has their head turned and a second offer will succeed. Nice also to see Chris Wilder so wound up. Losing his Player of the Year three weeks into the season not enjoyable. And to Leeds of all sides.

And I’m loving the Danny Ings rumour. 32 now but could still do a job, not used so regularly by WHU recently, mainly as a sub so scoring rate down. Though Burnley could nip in ahead of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Granite Head

The Athletic saying Solomon loan to Leeds to be confirmed tomorrow.

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, Muirean Bradley, All Together Now, Bonny Prince Billy, Phosphorescent, Ride, Dirt Birds, Katel Keinig, Melts, Tommy Tiernan, The Libertines, The Last Dinner Party, St. Vincent, Los Bitchos, Iron & Wine x2, John Grant, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Public Service Broadcasting, Fat Dog, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, MJ Lenderman, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Vampire Weekend, Fontaines DC, Villagers, Confidence Man, Amble

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Sallai also rumoured again. Billings also mentioned as a loan from Bournemouth, but so has Aarons. Billings is in the first team squad, and we can’t have more than 2 loanees over 23 from the same club, so all a bit strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Solomon has only played 24 games in 2 years and a lot of those were off the bench. When he does play he can change games. But injury wise he has not a great record.

If it was an opening offer for Hamer it would have merit but according to Adam Pope there is no prospect of going back with a second bid. Obviously this could be a game of bluff, we'll wait and see but I think Popey has some credibility here in making such a statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Apparently Hamer of Sheffield utd has agreed personal terms, 13m bid knocked back but you'd think it would get done now

Get Solomon done also and we look fair set …could still be a couple more before Friday

Manor Solomon signing confirmed by the club on social media.

Solomon confirmed on loan for the season. Good man Paraag, never doubted you for a second! Now I'll await the signing of Hamer and Aarons and all will be good again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

£18M is the asking for Hamer……

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

It reminds me of when we retained Kiko. We can do better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

He's the player we really need. Perfect for the 10 role. I'd be very confident in winning the league if we can get him in and cover in full back position.

• Advertisement

A headline that breaks yer heart. Supposedly a second bid going in but possibly a third required, and some last minute brinkmanship.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/dont-know-what-theyre-thinking-chris-wilder-hits-out-at-leeds-united-after-ps13m-gustavo-hamer-bid-4759394

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Carl Zeiss Jena Vs Bayer Leverkusen on German TV. Pokal game. Camera pans in behind Leverkusen goal and there's a massive LUFC flag!

Looks like Japanese international midfielder Tanaka is on his way from Fortuna Düsseldorf. £3m. Announcement tomorrow.

Post edited by Seathrun66 on

£10m? Everything I've seen is that his release clause is being activated, and it's only €3m. I know nothing about him, but probably worth taking a punt at that price.

Yeah, you’re completely right. My mistake. Edited now.

• Advertisement

Isaac Schmidt from St Gallen being linked now. Looks like a LB. Private jet arrived from Dusseldorf into LBA around 11am for Tanaka, it looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Granite Head

Ao Tanaka on the way according to The Athletic - €3.5m.

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, Muirean Bradley, All Together Now, Bonny Prince Billy, Phosphorescent, Ride, Dirt Birds, Katel Keinig, Melts, Tommy Tiernan, The Libertines, The Last Dinner Party, St. Vincent, Los Bitchos, Iron & Wine x2, John Grant, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Public Service Broadcasting, Fat Dog, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, MJ Lenderman, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Vampire Weekend, Fontaines DC, Villagers, Confidence Man, Amble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Would like see striker come in but doesn't look like it with piroe and bamford staying.

Bamford still injured, joined by James for Saturday.

Yeah, just saw James out of the Wales squad alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Tanaka announced.

Looks like Cooper's move to Hull is off, Derby being suggested as a possible alternative for him. Pity that, I'm going over tomorrow and was hoping that the fans would have a proper chance to say goodbye to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Neewollah

I think Coops has had a few goodbye's at this stage :)

So to summarise our transfer window (I'm assuming at this stage that we may get in the LB from St Gallen but nobody else), focussing only on those who would have been in our first team squad this season (and excluding any loanees who didn't return):

Out: Gray, Cree, Kamara, Rutter, Cresswell, Shackleton, Klaesson for a total sum of around £120m

In: Rodon, Bogle, Rothwell, Ramazani, Solomon, Tanaka, Cairns for a total sum of around £24m

It really highlights once again the struggles of a team in the Championship. Not even the most optimistic of fans could say we have replaced like with like. What we have done is certainly balance the books from a financial fair play point of view. We have also brought in some potential, especially in the form of Ramazani and Solomon, who could play a big part this season. But it's going to be a case of hoping these players step up this season, in the way that Archie, Cree and Georginio stepped up last year. It would have been nice to have one marquee signing but at this stage this looks like our lot.

As for tomorrow, I would prefer to keep Aaronson at 10 and give Ramazani a run on the wing for the injured James but I suspect that Farke will push Aaronson out wide and put Piroe at 10 unfortunately.

• Advertisement

It's not even PSR, although that helps. It's the accumulated transfer debts that had to be wiped off, so that £120M will put a big hole in that, and give us breathing space for PSR. Isaac Schmidt will be a pity if we don't get him, scored a cracker last night, and then went off injured. Has a bit of the Berardi's about him, not quite as psychotic in the tackle😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Isaac Schmidt confirmed, and thats our lot. No Sallai or Hamer is pretty underwhelming

Yeah we got bodies in to beef up the first team squad so there is some cover now but time will tell if it has been shrewd business or not. Let's hope Farke can get a good tune out of them.

The one consolation is that those around us haven't really added to their squads in a big way and a number look a lot weaker than the squad they started the season with.

So, what's everyone's first 11?

Lost 4 first teamers from last season added a potential 8 with the signings plus Arronson/Wober, could be said Summerville's goals and Rutter's trickery haven't been replaced but they played their part in a miserable end of season failure so something different could be the way to go

Would have liked to have seen a striker in on loan think I read Danny Ings name during the week, Joseph for all his running I think could disappoint in the goals column, Bamford is a busted flush and Piroe not seen as a front player so pinning it all on Joseph is a big ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Summerville, Gnonto and Rutter just became predictable and easy to counteract. No plan b. For example Summerville always tried to go right instead of going to the wing and crossing the ball. Became easy to defend against. "Thank you, i'll take that."

It didn't help that there was no proven number 10 to play off. We still have no proven number 10.

For me, Gray is the biggest loss in the window. He got the team moving.

Post edited by 10000maniacs on

Given that most of the signings are unknown qualities it has to be our current best 11 for me. I'm hoping a few of the new lads become starters obviously but given the price we paid for them you would have to think what we have is better. Solomon is probably the one exception to that. If he can stay fit he could be a real asset this year and could replace any of the 3 behind Joseph. Maybe Tanaka will push Gruev for a place once he settles in.

Meslier

Bogle, Rodon, Struijk, Firpo

Ampadu, Gruev

James, Aaronson, Gnonto

Joseph

Gnonto signed up til 2028. Excellent news I think.

• Advertisement

Surprised at Gnonto signing a new deal, especially since Summerville left. In fairness, he has always looked happy when he's playing, and he is not as petulant to the refs as he was. He is going to take some fouls this season, I reckon.

Thats my worry, we just bought a load of subs.

I'd like to see how ampadu gets on beside struijk instead of rodon. Gruev and Tanaka, gnonto at 10 and Ramazani instead of James.

Tanaka is supposed to be very good. Solomon very good as well, if he can stay fit. Schmidt pretty versatile, he can play left or right back and gets forward well. Scored a beauty for St Gallen on Thursday night, and is leaving a club in the Europa/Mickey Mouse league/conference/whatever you are having. Ramazani is the interesting one, super skilful but suspect temperament. Rothwell much more forward playing CM, and good free taker.

What they do bring is a different look to our subs bench. Last year we were changing like for like every time - Gnonto/James/Summerville/Anthony - all doing the same thing, the same way. At least we can try and change it up this time, from what I can see. I thought the criticism levelled at Farke was very unfair, as he had players that wouldn't have been his first choice. I think Piroe was never going to fit last year, and was something of a panic buy. Maybe he'll get more from his this year with a different set up.

TEam for today

Mes

Bogle rodon struijk firpo

Ampadu gruev

Solomon Aaronson Gnonto

Joseph

Happy with that team. Be interesting to see who starts on the right and left up front as any of the three could play any of the positions.

I thought solomon would be the super sub on 65 minutes instead of starting.

• Advertisement

Gnonto on the right, Solomon on the left, Aaronson in the middle

Pretty poor all round. Gnonto needs to start developing awareness of his position- 3 offsides in 5 minutes. Referee isn’t great either, Rodon clearly barged in the air.

Diabolical this, can only see Hull scoring

knew that would do the trick 😊

great finish, Joseph.

great assisst from Solomon

• Advertisement
Advertisement