Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Higher Executive Officer 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭skidmarkoner

An online proctored exam is a timed assessment via an online platform in which the candidates’ desktop activity, webcam video, and audio are monitored. 

It's standard for these types of assessments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,692 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Same question - no software is used, it is done through the browser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭lucat

Apparently it's about a month from the date they announce the stage 1 OOM.

There is no way to exit out of the tests once they're started, so you can't check emails or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Aabbccdd

I read through all the terms and conditions on these exams and they do have permission to perform a screen record as such while doing your exam. They can only see their exam screen and if you exit out or click to another browser, they will only see a blank screen because of GDPR. So they would review how many blank screens someone had as it obviously meant they were clicking off. But calculators and that would be perfectly fine. I was surprised but I suppose they have to make sure everyone is doing it correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Totally Red

So you don't get to know if you passed until your batch number is met is that correct ? So batch 1 could know if they passed for 2 months before batch 3 let's say ..

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭EduKate

Fritztelly is correct, the company used for the HEO tests can't see other sites or tabs you might view - they'd require dedicated software/app for that (like lockdown browser or proctorio).

The standard of proctoring used for these is laughable compared to universities. Even the webcam wasn't on for the duration of the tests - it was only on for the room scans and at the very end.

Universities, or any institution with decent proctoring, will require you to download and use a special locked-down browser/app that will monitor everything you do.

Someome previously said there was no way to check emails during the test. That isn't true, you could open another tab or browser and view them without any issue at all.

I suspect they'll move to a more stringent form of proctoring in the future to counteract people using chatgpt.

Post edited by EduKate on

Well you know you have passed the tests already because they told you in the initial email with the OOM. But you won't know what batch you're in until they call you- that is if they need to call a second or third or fourth batch etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 StokesDrift

I suspect they'll just go back to in-person tests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 truespark

How many typically in first batch for Dublin shortlisting?

I think it’s usually 300-400 going off previous competitions

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mr.Jim

So folks with Ooms in the 1200s to 1500s aren't likely to get a call?

never say never. I can only go off what I’ve heard and seen from doing & knowing people who have done previous comps. In the 2022 one I think a lot of people were eliminated during shortlisting. I would say nearly 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 didn’t make it. But this comp could be different so nobody should lose heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 LinWhi

last comp I didn’t get called but was in the 1400’s in 2020 comp and got called, failed by 4 marks at the end but made it to presentation and interview so you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭skidmarkoner

Wasn't the 2020 comp shorter aswell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 LinWhi

I’m not sure how many were called for that comp. Who knows how many will be called this time so there’s always a chance. PAS will never say at this stage even if we ask.

Passed the two week mark since stage 1 results now! Hoping for the next two weeks for results on shortlisting 🤞🏼

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭furrybones

Seems like a lifetime ago since stage 1 results were issued.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭gestappo

Do you think they'll just give results, or alert us that we have now entered Stage 2 Shortlisting?

I really hope they will give results & are currently shortlisting. I’d be raging if we were only advised shortlisting was starting!! 🤣 but I think they would have to notify you if you are up for shortlisting so they will probably send the notification to the first batch and tell them they’re going forward.. such a long process🫣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 jevans1990

I checked my publicjobs messages from 2022 the HEO competition then took 4 weeks from the tests results to notification of results of shortlisting. Never received a notification to say shortlisting started just the results and it was only people in batch 1 who received those results. People on further batches had to wait until later that year or the next year.

Kinda rough on the poor folks who had to sit waiting for batch 3 or 4

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Australia33

Based on previous comps that anyone has done, how many roughly for rural counties in a batch? Top 20?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jevans1990

Not sure on the batch numbers but they have released the HEO numbers assigned by county for 2020 and 2022. https://www.publicjobs.ie/restapi/documents/Panel_Assignments_HEO_2020_2022.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Australia33

Thank you. It looks like there were very, very few taken off the panels for my county.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sambo_forever

update from publicjobs yesterday, no dates yet scheduled for stage 3 interviews, so sounds like they're going slow through stage 2 shortlisting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

HI folks, would anyone have the booklet for current competition handy by any chance please? I'm sure it's on the thread but haven't been able to find it. Thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SiobhanR086

anyone know when the stage two results will be out?

Post edited by SiobhanR086 on

• Registered Users Posts: 30 SheevPalps

sambo_forever , did you receive a message with that update?

I've heard nothing yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭jaffa20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭furrybones

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Thanks folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Camango

I assume it's a response to an email they sent to PAS…

I don't really understand why people do that because (a) it's not gonna make the process move any faster and (b) PAS is not gonna respond with any info that hasn't already been disclosed to all relevant candidates.

I mean, if you had a genuine query i.e. "why did everybody get results except me" then yeah, fair enough… but asking for updates… really?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sambo_forever

It was from an email to PAS, but not looking for an update actually. I was informing them I would be unavailable for certain dates should they schedule stage 3 during them and I be lucky enough to be shortlisted past stage 2.

If we are honest with ourselves, we have to admit that sometimes our assumptions and preconceived notions are wrong, and therefore, our interpretation of events is incorrect. This causes us to overreact, to take things personally, or to judge people unfairly.

I'll be in Asia for a chunk of next month I would tell them but I'd imagine interviews won't be running till may or something.

Worse case I facetime them from luang prabang half cut on the 1 euro pints lo. 😆 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lovefreeman

Mr. Jim, that should go smoothly enough 🤣🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭MaryKaye79

i can imagine the eye rolling, did they reply?

Lads, for your sake, please be aware that this stage in the process is solely about filtering of mass numbers of candidates- it's essentially digital crowd control. I'm sorry to be so blunt but this means that you as an individual, with your specific circumstances, don't matter for PAS. You are just a number, and you're doing yourself no favours by not being aware of this- in fact you may be lowering your chances of being invited to interview in the first place. I know it seems that you are being considerate by telling them you'll be on holiday next month or whatever, but believe me when I say that they don't care. It's not their problem or responsibility if you are not available.

For example, I know someone who's young child was having major surgery on the day his interview was scheduled, and they were very reluctant to allow him to reschedule, although they did in the end. But that's the kind of situation they will consider when you ask to reschedule, not whether or not you'll be away.

Obviously I'm not trying to put you off requesting if the time comes and you really can't be there, but I don't want you unintentionally making it less likely you'll be invited to interview either because they already know you can't make it, or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Flaker

Being off at a particular time won't affect your chances of being called for an interview but I'm not sure why people are contacting PAS about this when they don't even know if they are getting called. Its a bit presumptuous lol.

PAS do try and work around someone's schedule if they can. They aren't going to penalise someone just because they have a holiday booked. That's just untrue and you shouldn't be posting something like that and panicking people.

• Advertisement

You're probably right that for online interviews it won't make a difference, so maybe my advice is more appropriate to pre-Covid times, but my main point is that PAS do not accommodate schedule changes unless they're truly serious, like in the example I gave above. I personally don't see the point in risking your chances of being called for interview, so to me it makes sense not to rock the boat without even knowing if you'll be called or not.

I know PAS are not supposed to factor things like this into the decision to call to interview, but who knows what really goes on; the process is not transparent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭countyireland12345

From what I have seen on here, if you cannot take the interview date they give you, for whatever reason, you are removed from that interview batch and placed into the next batch, to be given another random slot. So by not taking the initial slot, you are delaying your interview slot, and if successful, your place on the panel, placement, etc. by months.

I agree that once you've a date set for interview, it would be very difficult to get them.to change it. But when you do get called for interview, they ask if there are any dates you are not available and they do try and work around that. So telling them you aren't available at this point is not going to affect your chances of being called.

In all probability, they will just ignore stuff like this until they know who they are going to call for interview. As you said, we are just data at this stage. Again, why would you be bothered contacting PAS with when you aren't available for interview if you don't even know you will be called for interview. Talk about jumping the gun 😄

Yeah but telling them you aren't available NOW makes no difference to anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭countyireland12345

I didn't say it did. PAS will take no notice of that and rightfully so.

I never said you did. I was just reinforcing my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭JJfd

This thread is becoming toxic you all just need to wait until the next stage if any of us get called in short listings and go from there.

Lol 😆 who cares it's that person's business.

I'm off on the lash in Asia next month so if I pass fantastic I'll be swan faced out there.

Good luck everyone and be nice to each other.

I agree, I think the process is sometimes too long and people are anxious because they would really love the positions,

Fair play to everyone for even going for it because it’s a tough time financially for people and realistically we all want this only to allow for us to live more comfortably and provide for everyone at home and that’s admirable.

I hope you all are successful and get the opportunity to move up in your career and to ease the burden today’s economy puts on us all and for all the various other reasons you individually have :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Archermit

While I was impressed with how well I did in the OOM (16 in Dublin), I am honestly not confident enough in my form to get my hopes too high. But at this point, I just wish they would let us know lol

My money is on tomorrow, afternoon time for results😂 well done though, fabulous result

• Advertisement
Advertisement