Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭DataDude

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2024/0827/1466914-cso-earnings-and-labour-costs/#:~:text=Preliminary%20figures%20from%20the%20Central,the%20same%20time%20last%20year.

With all the concerning news of late on both rent and house price increases it’s at least some consolation that wages are powering upward also. CSO published today

Just had a look there and in the last 6 years (since 2018):

Average wage increase: 30%
    Average house price increase: 37%
    Average rent increase (new tenancy only): 43%

Can’t help but feel a lot of the dramatisation of things could be cooled if media presented things as:

Real house prices have increased at an average rate of 1.1% annually since 2018 and average rents have increased at 2.1%.

Instead we get upward red arrows and ‘PRICES EXCEED CELTIC TIGER PEAK. UP 8% this quarter’ from Irish Times. Trying to create a sense of panic it feels like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Villa05

Can someone justify an average hourly rate in the Finance and real estate sector of €50.10. The largest increase was the construction sector. Together with health the most unproductive sectors of the economy.

As one poster suggested Finance are not allowed do there job, or can't be trusted do do there job or when they attempt to do there job they crash the entire economy and this is from the highest levels, not the foot soldiers

The battle against inflation appears to be going well, no worries with overheating the economy and rents rising at double (quadruple in Limerick city) the rate of wages is all perfectly sustainable

Meanwhile

The numbers leaving for Australia doubled over the previous year which is interesting considering the strict entry requirements for that country. What could possibly be driving that I wonder

I think the strike action is confined to commercial sites, residential is unaffected for now

I don’t think it’s something that can or needs to be justified. Supply & demand. You can be sure their employers are paying them as little as the market will allow them to.

In terms of the comment on inflation - yes the battle is largely over for now with a fairly high degree of confidence, evidenced by expectations of rate cuts across the world.

On Irish competitiveness/overheating - not much of a concern as the level of wage inflation here is exactly in line with EU averages. Wages are merely catching up with prices in a lagged fashion as was widely predicted, restoring people’s purchasing power - this is a great (and necessary) thing.

Not sure why people are going Australia. Must be for the extremely cheap houses they have over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Less than €6k per SQM, its not that bad, those houses are really nice and were built by one of the best builders in the country at that time Alexander Strain.

I used to rent at Glencairn Gate in D18 and there was people paying this type of money to hear a perpetual 55-60 decibels of the M50, in my opinion, the Glasnevin house is better value considering it has a decent garden also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Blut2

Taking emigration into account doesn't help the figures at all.

Accounting for all of emigration, immigration, IPAS, and natural increase (births over deaths) our population increased by 181,000 last year[1]. That was the 5th highest of any country on the planet - and not per capita, overall. Its completely insane for a country our size.

Theres absolutely no way our housing market, or construction industry, can keep pace with that. Thats approx 70,000 housing units a year being taken off the market just to house the new population.

[1]https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2024/06/10/european-commission-says-irish-population-rose-by-record-35-per-cent-last-year/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Timing belt

you do realise that banking is only a subset of the finance industry. And funds another subset of the finance industry are providing finance for housing developments….so don’t know why you are saying finance aren’t allowed do their job.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭hometruths

I don’t think it’s something that can or needs to be justified. Supply & demand. You can be sure their employers are paying them as little as the market will allow them to.

I totally agree with you that if wages are simply a product of supply and demand in the market place that in itself is justification for the rates.

Presumably this is the case in the finance sector, but it is does not appear to be the case in the construction sector.

Builders are claiming that it is not viable to build an average 3 bed semi because there is no demand from buyers at the price required to sell it to make a profit - i.e the build costs are higher than the market will bear.

A large chunk of that build cost is labour. One would expect the cost of that labour to fall if there is no demand for the product that labour is producing.

Instead the largest increase has been in the construction sector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Finance are not allowed to do their job? sorry what now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

AMECO are population estimates and I dont know how they arrive at their figures.

The CSO has recorded pretty much the same level of growth over the past 2 years, April to April, of 100k per year. 80k migration increase and 20k natural increase.

Either way, it puts us on a path to hit 6 million by 2030.

Post edited by BlueSkyDreams on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

PAYE, PRSI and USC tax take going through the roof too as people move into higher bands.

People aren't taking home 30% more; add in COL increases on top too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,712 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Out of interest, what metric are you using to measure productivity of employees in the finance/health and construction industries?

Post edited by Dav010 on

PRSI is a fixed percentage so it doesn’t need to be indexed to keep pace with inflation. If you have a fixed 4% tax rate on all income. A 30% gross pay rise equates to a 30% net pay rise. Thats how the maths works.

Income tax credits will be up c.20% after the next budget and income tax band cut off up c.25% so there has been a slight increase in effective income tax rates but it’s not massive.

USC is slightly more complex. Likely reduced burden for lower income workers due to the rate reductions and indexation. Increased burden slightly for higher income workers due to non indexation of 70k band.

Overall the tax burden on incomes has gone up slightly but not much, so net incomes will have also risen by pretty close to 30%.

‘Cost of living’ has gone up 21% since June 2018 - net wages have definitely substantially outpaced this.

i.e. people on average have experienced a significant improvement in their net income relative to living costs and therefore have more disposable income (in real terms, so this increase is over and above the 30% increase in nominal terms they’d have experienced if col had been equal to wage inflation).

It’s another example of how hyperbolic media reporting playing into the negative Irish psyche means people have no perception of economic reality.

I don’t think many truly believe there is no demand at current prices. Theres of course some self interested lobbying going on to say otherwise but the evidence doesn’t stack up.

There does seem to be a genuine exception around high rise apartments where supposedly they just cost so much to build that they aren’t economical.

The other two demand side measures (HTB, FHS) aren’t in place due to lack of demand but merely giving a certain cohort (Irish tax paying FTBs) a head start in the race. The houses would still sell, just to different people if they didn’t exist. Pretty much every single new 3 bed semi d in Dublin and surrounding counties is outside scope of any demand side grant and they still sell instantly.

Stepping back from above though, if there’s one sector in the country where we desperately need higher wages to try to entice more workers (either immigrant workers, or new young apprentices) its construction workers! So good to see them doing well after a horrendous decade for the industry.

I don’t think many truly believe there is no demand at current prices. Theres of course some self interested lobbying going on to say otherwise but the evidence doesn’t stack up.

That could very well be the case, and if so I wish the self interested lobbying was called out for what it is more often.

The other two demand side measures (HTB, FHS) aren’t in place due to lack of demand but merely giving a certain cohort (Irish tax paying FTBs) a head start in the race. The houses would still sell, just to different people if they didn’t exist. 

Its the First Home Scheme that I particularly object to, so if the houses will still sell without this support, the viability of developments and hence the security of supply is not really in question.

If the security of supply is not at risk, I really struggle to see any other benefit of the FHS other than a short term political one for the government. Short term political wins have a habit of turning into long term societal losses!

@DataDude actually thinking about it further I think the lack of calling out the self interesting lobbying about the viability of building might well be related to the valid point you made earlier!

It’s another example of how hyperbolic media reporting playing into the negative Irish psyche means people have no perception of economic reality.

It’s a fair point on the FHS. I’m on the fence about whether it’s good or bad, I can see both arguments. As a scheme however, I think it’s primary purpose is pretty clear - given Ireland has some of the highest rental yields in the world and some of the more restrictive lending limits from banks, we are extremely susceptible to the pitfall of

‘Sorry FTBer, I’m not letting you buy this place because you can’t afford the €1,700 mortgage (fixed rate), so instead this 70 year old person is going to buy it cash and rent it to you for €2,500 and increase it by 2% a year for the rest of your life’

FHS primary goal is getting people out of a rent trap and into home ownership (at whatever cost)…because politically, once people own a home. They’re more likely to vote FF/FG - irrespective of how much debt they’re in (actually probably more likely the bigger the debt as they need to protect the economy at all costs then!).

Agreed, but it’s par for the course with any lobby group. Law society, insurance Ireland, vintners association, farmers association…there may at times be small hints of truth buried in the spiel of nonsense…up to public (and politicians) to challenge sensibly.

I see the validity in all this, particularly the political value in converting a renter into a homeowner.

I'd go far as to say that's the primary aim of the scheme, along with the value in soundbites such as "we've helped x000 people buy a home who otherwise would not have been able to do so."

That's the root of my frustration with housing in Ireland. The problems and proposed solutions are political rather than economic or structural.

And that is not going to change anytime soon.

Because nobody who would be willing to ignore the political implications in favour of the economic by definition will never find themsves in a position to do anything about it.

I think you are ill informed if you decide that only political decisions influence something like the house building sector, which has so many moving parts, and which can be influenced by so many factors. To think that way, would indicate that you think political will alone can solve the problem, without economic or societal influence.

Maybe you have some idea of how political will alone is the answer, how do you think politicians could build 100k houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Montys return

What are the opinions on Sinn Feins leasehold scheme for affordable housing?

Genuine critiques now of the premise, let's try and leave political allegiances to one side.

• Advertisement

Genuine, workable, creates a 2nd tier more affordable buying option. Affordability is retained in the home rather than recycled and lost in the private market

Bit of a cave in by SF under pressure from FFG party of home ownersship narrative populism and magic money tree economics.

We need to focus on affordable but profitable rentals as our young people are finding it impossible to start life here and are leaving hence the doubling to over 10,000 that have left for Australia in the last 12 months

Its difficult and costly replacing 10k well educated with 30k whom may not speak our language

I think you misunderstood, apologies if I phrased it badly.

I don't think political will alone is the answer. Quite the contrary.

I think political will is both the cause of most of the current problems, and the political solutions are only exacerbating the problems.

I believe the economic and structural problems in Irish housing are far less significant than the political problems.

If it were possible to remove the politics from the decision making, the situation could be solved much quicker and cheaper to the benefit of all.

Compared to any other proposals I've heard, I like it - as Villa05 says it's a genuine attempt to create a second tier market that's purely focussed on the affordable.

As far as I can see the only drawback from a buyers point of view is it limits your potential for enjoying the upside on capital gains on your property.

For anybody who claims that they wish to buy a house simply to escape the horrific rental market, enjoy security of tenure etc, secure accommodation for old age etc etc it looks like it ticks all those boxes.

Removing those buyers from having to compete with buyers who have one eye on long term financial returns can only be a good thing.

As I've said above I'm instinctively against subsidising house purchases, but from the government/taxpayers point of view in this case the subsidy - the value of the land - has a long term impact on affordability for all. That is surely preferable than taking an equity stake in the house which is both inherently risky and only really benefits the recipient of the subsidy.

The backlash against it is purely political IMO.

It seems reasonable given that it is aimed at those who earn too much to be eligible for social housing, and too little to afford current prices.
    But there are a couple of issues that jump out:

• SF seem incapable of articulating any substantial policies, and the news cycle for this one seems to have run its course, they don’t seem to think that answering questions on details will be important to an electorate. This is one of the reasons their support has tanked, they appear no better than what is there, and may actually do more damage to the housing sector.

• The owner never truly owns their home, the don’t own the land, they aren’t free to sell at market price. That makes the property somewhere in between ownership and renting, and it’s a lot of money for an “owner” to spend without having complete control of it.

• I presume the owner is free to employ their own builder? Maybe not. But if they are, builders will quickly understand that the money which would have been required to buy a site, can now be spent on build. It doesn’t take a degree in economics to know if that is the case, it can be exploited. Maybe the state will employ the builders and the owners pay the State, again, builders will be in a great position to extract the max value for their work.

• The sites will still face the usual planning frustrations, and the owners of these homes may well become the new “upper class” social housers, not everyone will want them next door.

https://bpfi.ie/publications/bpfi-mortgage-approvals-july-2024/

More positive, albeit somewhat confusing news. July sets the new record for FTB mortgage approvals* since 2011 (by a large distance too) and SSB at all time highs also. 3.3k FTBs vs previous high of 3k. Difficult to objectively argue that the trajectory here is anything but extremely positive.

The average approval value also set another new record. Total value of FTBs mortgage approval was €1.01bn in the month. Previous all time high was €926m, and had never been above €870m other than that.

Given the incredibly low levels of stock for sale, you’d wonder what they’re all finding to buy.

*A mortgage approval is defined as a “firm offer” to a customer of a credit facility secured on a specific residential property. A mortgage approval arises when the lender issues a formal offer of mortgage finance to the customer (whether it be in print or some other durable form) for a specific residential property

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭Gary_dunne

I understand the optimistic look at those figures unfortunately mortgage approval is the easy part (not talking about approval in principle). Myself and my partner would be considered in those figures to the region of €736k as we had approval for a self build in writing before the builder pulled out to do another job and couldn't find a new one to do it near the price the first one quoted. Mortgage approval then revoked due to new costings which were above our budget.

Second mortgage approval after we were sale agreed on the property before the seller's own purchase fell through so agreement revoked.

I understand that this is just one (well two) mortgage approvals but neither resulted in us owning a property and I can't imagine we were the only ones where this type of scenario occurred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

This is precisely it, and it's the root of the problem. Building on the level required to house that many people is probably not even possible, and even if it were, why would we want to do that? The situation in the UK is getting to the point there the Green Belt around London is to be used for housing, and this comes from a government that claims to be concerned about the environment.

If I may be indulged in some philosophical language, I will say that this globalist pipedream of infinite growth is going to destroy Europe. Ireland is not the property of people who are currently here. Rather, it is our responsibility to maintain this land for the future. What is happening here is that the country is being turned into a globalist economic hub that has as much identity as a Starbucks outlet.

Thankfully there is excellent data to quantify this as the same source produces both approval and drawdown data. The optimistic view is only negated if the higher number of approvals is being offset by a lower conversion rate to drawdown.

This is not the case.

From 2017 to 2021, actual drawdowns are 83% of the mortgage approvals.

From 2021 to 2024 the equivalent figure is 86%.

So if anything the trend is even more positive than the approval data suggests. Not only are approvals increasing to record levels. Their conversion to actual drawdowns is also increasing.

Always better to go to the data than anecdotes.

As far as I can see the only drawback from a buyers point of view is it limits your potential for enjoying the upside on capital gains on your property

The owner never truly owns their home, the don’t own the land, they aren’t free to sell at market price

This is the whole point of having a 2nd tier market.

There's not much point in the state subsidising affordable housing, if it can be sold at market price and end up on Airbnb a few years later.

Reduces the risk of boom bust housing policies. Look at @DataDude figures posted this morning. Mortgage approvals up 20% by value (if I'm reading it correctly). Would buyers take on this level of risk if there was an alternative less risky product. The scheme is a more prudent approach and in doing so, makes the private market less risky by pulling away demand

The property appreciates at the level of wage inflation. This provides scope for an inflation linked investment product much sought after by pensions. This allows the market to open up to prudent investors rather than speculators that drive boom bust cycles

• Advertisement

That makes the property somewhere in between ownership and renting, and it’s a lot of money for an “owner” to spend without having complete control of it

I'd somewhat agree with this point a buyer may be more likely to sacrifice location and brand new for a 2nd hand down the country.

That's why it should have been focused on rentals. That's where the real damage is being done on consumers

Advertisement