Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation of towns

• 25-08-2024 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone

I am in a position where I want to sell-up - I have been living in rural Connacht for 25+ years and now due to circumstances (widowed untimely) I want to start afresh somewhere else. I have no ties to any county except Wicklow (which is too expensive to buy in) Also as I have been so remote I am looking for a town location but not a city. Has anyone any recommendations of good towns to live in, something with a bit of life, cafes, art scene, half decent shops etc - I don't mind rural towns, but would like somewhere with good public transport links, maybe mainline trains or busses -

Thanks in advance

Pretzill

my budget is up to 250k and I am happy with a small home.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭65535

How about Gorey - near enough to Wicklow and in the east coast also good transport links.

Gorey house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Thanks I must check it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭herbalplants

What about Co. Kerry? Kenmare might fit the bill.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-10-bothar-sheen-glanerought-kenmare-co-kerry/5822192

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Castletroy/Monaleen area of limerick city. Close to university, hunt museum, belltable, art gallery etc etc but town feel about the area and excellent bus service including every half hour to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I second this, but Gorey is getting very pricey precisely because it's a good location. With a budget of 250k, the OP would struggle to find anything in the town itself. There are properties nearby that could be had for that price, however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭65535

Yeah, but within budget this one looks good - Kilmuckeridge

wexford gorey

Thanks again- wow a lot of house for that price! Will check out Castletroy too - I have plenty of time to do a recce and have a visit to these towns - much appreciated keep them coming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Hi,

SSo sorry to hear of the bereavement of your wife. Unsure of what your experience with the market is. I have recently purchased my first house about 3 years ago.

€250k is not a lot when you consider what is affordable, furnishing and hidden repair costs. I got screwed for a working heating system and and leaking oil tank. Do not cheap out on the surveyor. You may need new carpets or insulation.

I would also suggest you look on Dublin Sligo train line after Maynooth. Many shops are going on line because of rent and rates, cost of business (wastage) and ease of management. So really anything can be delived to your door. If another lockdown should ever happen, you would have more freedom in rural Ireland.

IIf you have no ties in Ireland maybe moving overseas might be the way to go. I suugest researching Andrew Henderson on Nomad Capitalist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

It's a nice house, but that is categorically NOT Gorey. The EAs around here often tag the nearby towns as being Gorey. That town is a fair bit further down south, and it doesn't have the same facilities, but that may not be a problem for the OP.

By the way, it's worth mentioning that the Dublin to Wexford train is infamously slow. It's two hours to Gorey from Connolly, so the bus is a faster (albeit less comfortable) option.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The Bus service is far from excellent but it is better then it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Pick a city or large town then look at towns sounding them

Waterford, Kilkenny, Carlow.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/tarasholm-ballyshunnock-kilmacthomas-waterford/4823948

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There are parts of Wicklow that you could afford on that budget. Sorry to hear about your spouse:(

There are lots of lovely small towns and villages around the country.

Have you more requirements? like near the sea etc?

I think I would move ot West Cork for the sheer beauty

West Cork is beautiful but again too expensive for me - l would love to be near the sea but I realise it is also where house prices are more expensive. I just want to move from what has become a very remote life to something a little bit busier with more people, art scene, cafes etc - my budget isn't brilliant but I am also not in a position to get a mortgage or at least I don't want to have to be - the other thing I have to consider is Healthcare, access to GPs, hospitals etc

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, really appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I know from experience it's very hard to move from rural where you are not overlooked to somewhere with people beside you and behind you.

I still miss leaving bring able to leave the front door open and sit in the front garden and not be observed.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rowantree18

Would you consider Northern Ireland? The value to be had is incredible compared to the 26. I've 2 friends who (separately) moved up recently. Both to seaside areas between Belfast and Carrickfergus. There are some lovely areas there and basically they are Belfast suburbs with good connections into the city which is gorgeous, bustling and full of interesting museums etc.

There aren't really any issues in terms of it technically being the UK. Both commute to Dublin 1 or 2 days a week on the train for work. The other days wfh. They're both very close to lovely places in Antrim, not far from the Mournes. One bought an ex council house in a beautiful setting for 70k sterling, would sell for about 135k now, the other bought a brand new a rated house for 200k. One of the locations is more Unionist but he's had absolutely no issues - people are just getting on with their lives, they both consider themselves to be in Ireland and just get on with it. Both had despaired of home ownership and are happy out. Other parts of the north would be even cheaper.

Yes there are beautiful parts of NI and I have some family there - I have been checking out a few houses in different areas today - prices seem to be going up everyday in the Eastern Counties, Wexford is creeping up fast, as is Waterford so I don't know how realistic I am being. I have to drive everywhere where I live I would welcome somewhere that doesn't always involve needing the car.

I also have this romantic vision of a house in mu head - a semi detached cottage that isn't in an estate but off a street in a town, with a small manageable front and back garden :) - I think I am probably going to have to remove the tinted spectacles

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭mykrodot

I was in a similar situation last year (house buying, not bereavement) with a budget of €250K….. not a lot of money these days. West Cork would be out of the question. Anywhere near the coast is at a premium. I wanted to be near the sea but affordability was an issue. Near the end I was in almost panic mode as I could see prices going up and up and up…………and this was LAST year!

There are a huge amount of international buyers and investors also looking at anything in Ireland that is near the coast, particularly Cork , Kerry and Connemara. I finally got a nice 3 bed semi, in a 12 house estate in a small town. I am 15 mins from Tralee, 15 mins from Killarney and its perfect. I swim most days and the closest beaches are both 20 minutes away, well worth the drive for the scenery alone! I feel lucky I was to get this house as the garden is decent…. 2 shops, 2 pubs, a butcher in the town but Lidl, Aldi etc about 15 minutes from me.

I would be stressed out trying to find a house this year!

My daughter lives in Limerick and I go up there regularly . Limerick is great, a lovely city with great connectivity, transport links and Shannon airport closeby (but personally I felt it was too far from the sea to buy there).

Good luck OP, its a difficult time to be buying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭C3PO

Wexford town has a great buzz these days with lots of cool pubs and cafes. Your budget will get you a nice (albeit small) house in the centre of the town.
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-43-william-street-lower-wexford-town-co-wexford/5664863

nice, but with an asking price of €245 it will go for more than €250 I'd say. I bought last year for €250K and the original asking price was €230K ….. a year ago…. in Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

Had you asked a week earlier it could have been just what you're after, went sale agreed after about a week on the market.

It's actually on city boundary but in a really quiet and mature neighbourhood away from hustle and bustle and yet close enough to all amenities. Don't give up, they are out there.

Use your mighty arms to slay the fierce enemy that is selfish desire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭C3PO

You’re probably right! I spent 9 months last year looking at houses around Wexford last year and the prices have increased significantly even since then. Ended up buying a lovely little house in Enniscorthy, in the nicest part of the town and within walking distance of everything. After installing a new fireplace and stove, new carpets, a complete repaint and fully furnished, I would still have a little change from the OPs budget. Definitely the right call for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

Just for measure, this bungalow is in the same area and while it's slightly above your price range, it has been on the market for at least a year. (if not more)

Use your mighty arms to slay the fierce enemy that is selfish desire

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rowantree18

Also - moving forward, if you decide against NI (although the prices really are good) I'd try as hard as I could to go East Coast. I'm in Wicklow and the weather really is genuinely sunnier, milder, drier and less stormy. It makes a huge difference to outdoor life.

sounds lovely, lucky you! Yes I paid 250K but the have spent another 30K approx on kitchen repaint, new en-suite, repainting inside and outside, new fencing in garden, stair carpet etc. Best money I spent was on the wall insulation (SEAI grant) snug as a bug now. But the money spent on these above basics (no new furniture, no new kitchens) is mad now!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭factnee

This is in Kealkill which is just outside Bantry

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-3-mountain-view-kealkill-bantry-co-cork/5645612

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I second this. I think NI is so much better value.

Living the life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Shauna677

Would a two bed apartment entice you to move to Cobh?

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/apartment-1-whitepoint-moorings-cobh-co-cork/5757906

just 20 mins drive to Cork city and the commuter train from city does a regularly service back and forth. Cobh is a lovely heritage town with a very busy tourist season. You will be within easy reach of Cork University Hospital and several other hospitals Incl The Bons, Mater Privare and The Mercy.

What is the nicest part of Enniscorthy? It is a town I have completely overlooked

The Cobh apartment is really lovely - great spot- I haven't discounted apartments, though I am a dog owner and can't bear the idea of management fees but some apartments are really nicely laid out which appeals to me - Cobh is gorgeous

Thanks everyone

• Advertisement
Advertisement