Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG TV - RTE Player won't chromecast

• 03-08-2024 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

I have a new LG TV (LG 50NANO81T6A)

I prefer to use player apps on my phone and then cast to the television, rather than using the apps on the TV. It is much easier to type into the apps on the phone etc.

The TV has built in chromecast and airplay.

The RTE Player app normally works with chromecast, but when i try to chromecast to the new TV, the TV just shows a screensaver for the RTE Player, and does not actually cast the programme. The TV also has its own RTE Player App. That works fine.

Has anybody else had this issue? Is it because the RTE Player app is already on the TV, and it blocks the chromecast from the phone to force you to use the app on the TV?

RTE Player doesn't have an airplay option and when i use screen mirroring, it gives sound, but a blank screen.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

My LG TV saya that RTE Player no longer supports it since 20th Aug.

Not helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 c2r

I long ago gave up on apps on set top boxes and TVs, and just use firesticks instead for iplayer/rteplayer/disney/netflix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CarPark2

That is a strange one. I used the player on the LG TV at the weekend.

What age is your TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭suvigirl

My Samsung TV will not support the rte player since 20th August. Pain in d h.

Yes, as @c2r said, the TV apps are generally fairly sh!te. I had preferred to use the apps on my phone and cast using chromecast, but for some reason on the LG, the RTE player will not cast. I was wondering if it is because they want to force use of the app on the TV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It's a 43UJ630V bought in 2017 or 2018. It needs the Web OS upgraded according to RTE to at least version 4. It is currently version 3, but I cannot get it to upgrade.

It also has dull LED backlights but they can be replaced for not a lot (from China).

This is my third faulty LG - and my last. Both the other two have known faults. One - an LD has a blown HDMI chip, and now a blown power board. The other is an LH510 with a blown MP3378E that drives the backlight LEDs, but causes the TV to fail to come out of shutdown. Chip costs less than €10, and there might be a capacitor gone as well.

I have three working Samsung TVs - the oldest is 2008. All Samsung TVs working faultlessly, but Samsung Apps disappearing as time passes.

So much for smart TVs. The TVs might be smart - but the purchaser not so much to believe the hype.

I agree re smart TVs.
    Really, all you need is chromecast and work everything from your phone, with casting to the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Limerick1973

I had the exact same issue with my new Sony TV. I emailed there support in April and was told they look into it and send me update. I emailed them again June to follow up to see if the problem was still being looked into and I got no reply.

Advertisement