Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General gaming discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I would too but Sony hasn't really made a new IP recently, except Concord, but it just felt like an overwatch clone rather than something new. If they wanted to do something new they could do like Nintendo and make that new idea and support it with a well known IP. And they've basically done this recently with God of War.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Would love a Jak and Daxter like the first game. Honestly think that was Naughty Dogs best game they ever made and I really didn't gel with the darker sequels (or Jak 2's infuriating difficulty).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I still prefer rhe og GoWs, angry Kratos > Dad Kratos. But I realise that is because I don't have kids so I can't really relate to the whole parenting situation. Whereas og Kratos was a game character, kill, kill, kill, fun fun. I still love the recent ones, but they're veering into boring territory imo. Same with Spiderman giving me stupid side missions about the frailty of humanity... I get some people like that, but I want my entertainment to not remind me of real life. Its why I play, to get away from real life.

Problem with new ips is people shyte on them from a height even without playing because it's not a current version of whatever rose tinted game they want. For the faults they had, I'll take another Forspoken, Immortals of Aveum and others over yet another remake/rerelease. The entirety of the universe to make games, and people just want to try and recapture their youth with remakes... I'm personally sick of them, and I'm only waiting for the low level effort of Soul Reaver to ruin it completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I know it's not recent at this stage, but Horizon (gameplay and character criticisms aside) is a beautiful game world and concept that was a fairly bog-standard idea but one that was realised wonderfully and felt fresh. The fact it's even getting a Lego game which will also release on Switch is crazy.

I'm not saying we need to see Duplo Ghost of Tsushima any time soon, but they definitely have IP and concepts that they're not using well, and instead spend too much time and money on live service, timed exclusivity and "If you buy the game on PS5, you get Spider-Man in the game too!" nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Ravenid

Atomic Heart's soundtrack had no right to go as hard as it did. Bumped it up to a 7.5/10 from 5/10 for me just because of the soundtrack.

None of those IPs did enough to stand out. It's hard for a new IP to gain mind share without being a game changer or just having a lot of luck, which is why I think supporting them with a well known IP attached is a good idea. Although those two you mentioned I'm not sure what to do there as whole decent enough games they just weren't remarkable enough. Saying that I find Horizon is just the most generic game ever but it's selling point was the great visuals and visuals do sell.

Saying that, I'm totally with you on wanting another chronically stupid action game like God of war 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

We kinda got it with Stellar Blade, stupid action fun, just with bewbs and less visceral violence. More of that please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Returnal is a new IP.

And now I want a Duplo Ghost of Tsushima.

Not that I played them but we're going into a second season of Twisted Metal and have they announced any game they could use the publicity for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The Habenera sequence near the end of the game with the poppy remix of it was the peak of the game. That was great.

• Advertisement

I'd definitely love a button-mashing, gore-filled game along the lines of the old GoW games. But I also prefer both the combat of the newer games (which the Valhalla DLC really put a great emphasis on), and Kratos' character in the newer games.

I enjoyed the story of the previous games and Kratos in them, but they also really ran out of road and were in danger of him becoming a parody of himself. Every cutscene was just Kratos shouting "I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE! DO NOT STAND IN MY WAY!" at someone. Which is fine, but unlike the people Kratos kills, it gets old. Kratos as a character only started to become interesting to me towards the end of GoW3, where he starts to actually develop as a character past just "AARRGGHHHH I WANT BLOODY REVENGE!!!!"

I also don't have kids, but I could absolutely emphatise with Kratos' story and character in the newer games. I don't see things like that as being a prerequisite. Games without stories or with minimal stories are still great, but when a game puts the effort into actually making a character and story interesting it can make you invested in the game more than just gameplay can alone.

Basically, give me a game that f*cking makes me feel something, whether that's the excitement of the gameplay or investment in the characters/story. Otherwise I may as well be scrolling tiktok or watching The Big Bang Theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I see where that article is coming from even if it seems a bit stupid. The Astro Bot stuff is weird cause it's a callback to this specific era of Sony (at least it seems to be based on all the Ape Escape stuff I'm seeing) and so it ends up being a thing where the representation reminds you of the original's absence.

It's like borderline postmodern or something. We don't make these games anymore but here's a pastiche of them all strewn together in a nostalgic styling

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think Astro Bot is an incredible series that just feels great to play in a way few platformers do… but I do feel somewhat uneasy about the corporate nostalgia factor that it has leaned into. I think the new game sounds more expansive in some of its callbacks that Playroom was, but I also reckon this review makes a fair point:

It’s a credit to Astro Bot’s developers that the game mostly feels like a loving homage and knowledgeable history lesson (there are some deep-cut cameos). But there is no denying it’s also fundamentally an exercise in corporate myth-making. For the player, the game succeeds as a dazzlingly beautiful and exquisitely paced 3-D platformer. For Sony’s executives, it succeeds according to a different rationale: making you want to play more PlayStation games.

There is a sorta 'let's celebrate the brand' vibe that permeates certain aspects of modern pop culture - the MCU in particular (the new Deadpool sounds particularly egregious in that regard), and standalone examples like Ready Player One (the movie) and that Space Jam film from a few years back. Again, it's possible to make a good enough film / game to overcome that - Astro Bot very much sounds like it has - but there is that sense of 'corporate approved fun' you can't quite escape in some of these projects, even if they dazzle you elsewhere.

Arguably Smash Bros is the best example of it done right, as that just feels like as thorough and affectionate a homage as you can get, with every character and cameo feeling thought through and affectionate rather than cynical. Playable character movesets and even the minor 'support' characters feel like they've been handcrafted to be as true to the original as feasible in such a chaotic mash-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I mean Tamoor's take there isn't going to change the mind of someone who feels like Astro Bot is itself also somewhat a product of industry cynicism.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

To be clear, I think it's rare but possible for a project born primarily from commercial incentives or cynical corporate motivation to end up as something better. I'd say Barbie came from the most cynical possible place, but Greta Gerwig managed to transform it into a worthwhile (and very funny) piece of art, even if it can't fully escape Hasbro's wider 'brand motivations'

Astro Bot Rescue Mission was less 'let's celebrate Playstation' than its successor, so I think that's an angle that's come later to the series. And I think that Team Asobi are brilliant, inventive artists that'll make great games regardless - there's even an argument that it suits Playroom thematically as being an illustration of how hardware has evolved over the years. But I don't think it's at all unfair to note and/or criticise the branding aspect of the project. Certainly, with Playroom, there was a definite 'isn't Playstation great' vibe to proceedings… as deeply satisfying as it was to use Astro's boosters to hit the eject button on a PS3 diorama.

• Advertisement

I am getting a whiff of that corporate cynicism from astro as well. I don't know why it works for Nintendo and not here. In smash it does feel like a celebration of history. It's full of deep cut trophies but each trophy has a blurb attached to explain it's history. The Mario games have call backs to its past as well but they are usually playable or secrets and it helps that people like Takashi Tezuka that were there from the early days are still involved.

Astro they just feel like ready player one cameos or the background references in the Mario movie, just walk on deep cuts that add nothing by their inclusion only to satiate the biggest nerds because they got the reference.

To put it in context I thought it was great to see the ape escape characters in the game but then I saw said character do the fortnite floss dance. I just feel that anyone with real affection and attachment to those characters would make more of their inclusion and wouldn't have them do the floss dance.

Also the game has legend of Dragoon references and anyone that has played legend of Dragoon has no nostalgia for that game.

Caveat here, I'm going by what I saw online and I doubt niggles about deep cut cameos have any bearing on how good the game is.

I'll link to it rather than quote it for those who want to go in blind, but DF's John Linneman does point out some of the homages and cameos go a lot deeper than just costumes - using core gameplay mechanics from other games in clever and playful ways.

I agree, Sony are definitely tying Playstation's history into the very core of AstroBot, both in the game and marketing materials. I just think it's a fine line between Sony wanting to evoke certain feelings to make you want to play more PS games (as per the article), and this just being a celebration of those games (and in many ways, just gaming) in fun ways. It comes back to the earlier points about memory lane vs graveyard, and how you yourself choose to view/approach the game.

Totally possible for Team Asobi to be coming at this from a genuine, affectionate place and for Sony / PS executives to be coming at it from a more cynical or calculated one. Definitely not mutually exclusive!

I don't think it's going to have much impact on my enjoyment of the game, anyway - might even add to it if I'm running around in a Prince of all Cosmos outfit. Just was a minor concern of mine when playing the otherwise superb Playroom, and will definitely be something I'll be aware of here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭recyclops

I thought the astro demo on the ps5 was a stroke of genius ( my favourite thing on the console) and the nostalgia trip and using the new consoles parts as worlds was brilliant. But it worked as a tech demo and worked really well.

I dont think they need to do it for the full game, the movement, use of tech they have should sell the game itself. Really looking forward to playing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭jj880

Should be finishing up with Astro just in time for Plucky Squire 👍

And remember its free with PlayStation plus Extra

The Borderlands movie must have them worried about the games. I was on the PS store and they're selling the collection of every single Borderlands game for €37 and Borderlands 3 is 90% off for €7.

I only liked 2 and Tales was fun.

Getting as many movie hype sales asap after the movie tanked its budget? Think I read somewhere numbers playing the games online have more than doubled in the last month.

Or maybe get people playing the game to forget about the movie? 😂. We watched. It was bad. And not comedy bad. Just bad.

I'd say it's more trying to ramp up excitement for Borderlands 4 now that the first trailer was released, and maybe trying to get it back in people's heads that Borderlands is about the games, not the movie.

BL2 was definitely my favourite overall, but I also really enjoyed the gameplay of BL3, it felt a lot smoother and some good QoL improvements. The level design of BL3 was pretty awful though, and they unfortunately ramped up the worst aspects of the stories and characters. As hit and miss as it was in BL2, it was far more miss in BL3.

To celebrate Eurogamer's anniversary, here is their list of the 100 best video games to play right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭recyclops

Considering the point of the list it's actually not too bad, stardew should be higher and I've never managed to get into outer wilds despite numerous attempts

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

I look forward to seeing Deus Ex at No.1

Wait…what?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Did no one read the blurb at the start of that list? A lot of your questions/complaints would be answered if you did.

Id have preferred if it was just a lost of newer stuff but then they throw Mario world in there which seemed very odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭thereiver

concord had bland or ugly weird game character design if you want to release a hero shooter it has to be at least as good as apex legends or overwatch or have some kind of special selling point .there are already good hero shooters out there and free games like fortnite .it takes time to learn a hero shooter with each characters special powers and weapons and it has to look great .gamers like characters that look powerful or sexy.concord looks like a hero shooter designed by ai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ooooofff rough take by Days Gone director. Let it go man!

Looking at his twitter hes not letting it go and getting plenty of replies. Arguing with all comers. Most comments regarding Astro but a few saying the Days Gone dev team had no love for him at all. Apparently didn't want to make a sequel with him involved. I suspect the whole post could disappear soon. Hes getting roasted.

He has a legacy you can’t escape in this **** thread, for one 😂

They put in a Days Gone cameo… so of course they put in an Ace Combat cameo too!

Are Team Asobi reading boards dot ie? ☺️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Ace Combat. We all know who will be happy with that then 😉

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Retr0 right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

I wondered who on earth that was meant to be. Didn't think it would be so niche. Thanks for the clarification

The character’s a bit generic so not the most obvious, but some of the cuts are a lot deeper than Ace Combat.

Ape Escape as well although I saw that they really did a lot with Ape Escape in this game and 4 of the devs worked on those games.

Just makes me more jealous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

The Ape level is brilliant. Makes me want a new shiny Ape Escape game

A few hours into Lies of P. I'm liking it. It's Souls but easier so far and I don't mean that as an insult.

I can't time parries at all in Souls or Elden Ring but it's quite straightforward in this and satisfying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Cordell

It depends on play style, I favor dodge over parry so for me it was harder. Some boss fights are hard, I struggled more with Nameless Puppet than with Radahn in Shadow of the Erdtree

The parry window is a bit more open because it's emulating the Sekiro system of parrying and deflecting, same way the game has the rally system from Bloodborne to get health back.

It's a game that definitely draws from all the FromSoftware games, but it actually manages to blend them together really well and add some things of its own to make the game its own thing. Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Luna84

Started Crackdown 3 yesterday and collecting all the damn orbs. You need them to increase your climbing abilities so a very important part of the game but all it does is increase your play time as you are going out of your way to climb and jump to get them. Besides that I am enjoying it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement