Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Summer2024 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭squonk

Well living 3 miles from the west coast I’m banking on drizzle anyway. It’s been very difficult to ready shift that pattern all summer here. Even relatively settled periods had drizzle setting in over the afternoon at times. I’m kind of done with this now. I’d take the setup we’ve had all summer if it lasted into January & Feb. It’d mean some decent crusty mornings. Those have gotten fairly rare in these parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Dare to dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭joinme

Ireland really got screwed in the weather stakes (depending on your climate preferences)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Dazler97

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Hmmmmmmm 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Robwindstorm

The charts are a disaster for over a year now in particular. Both GFS and ECMWF completely different. Let's see which will be right if any

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭typhoony

Not sure where all the negative comments are coming from, the settled weather hasn't even started and people are calling it a 2 to 3 day event. The charts thankfully are mire optimistic. If we get clear skies then we could get some cooler nights but daytime temperatures look well above normall

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Thunder87

High pressure with a westerly flow (which is what's currently forecast) often leads to low cloud, drizzle and sea mist in the north west unfortunately

Agreed. Looking at yr though it’s showing an easterly component to the winds Sat/Sun which is good however it all backs off southerly/westerly after that. A month ago, first week of the Olympics in fact, a decent spell was promised but all we got here in the west was some dry mornings duty intermittent drizzle in the afternoon/evening for the most part. I certainly wouldn’t have described it as fine and settled. Hence who I’m not expecting much this time either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,137 ✭✭✭pauldry

Settled weather doesn't exist in the West anymore. June 2023 was the last one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭fits

was just thinking here that this is first summer in a while in our house that we didn’t need to take the fans out for a spell of hot nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭squarecircles

GFS12Z is warm humid and later thundery, if only such a set up could have happened 4 to 8 weeks ago,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM 12Z showing HP building but has already pushed it out a number of days. Fairly settled looking model run with calm weather and no great rainfall, getting less as HP builds on the chart below. Temps only around what we got today it would seem.

GFS a bit warmer getting into the low 20's and similarly less rainfall then of late showing up on the rainfall prediction charts.

If this holds up it looks good for the harvest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

It wouldn't take much of a tweak to provide a very decent week though! Temps would surely respond to mid 20s in any sunshine. Gfs obviously best but ecm not half bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭esposito

12Z ECM looks really good towards the end of the run. As JS said above mid 20s very achievable if prolonged sunshine and sea breeze shouldn’t be as impactful as it would in June/ July with warmer seas now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,137 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ya this year so far

May the warmest

June the coldest

July a bit warmer

August a bit warmer again

If some of the forecasts beyond 120 verify September could be warmest of all. However also prone to cool nights so may nor happen.

Settled weather for an extended period, tentative signs of energy from the south not from the west in around 10 days time, most likely of a connective nature. Actually wasn't it around the same time last year we had a thundery breakdown

Yes the 1st 10 days of September was our summer and we got a thundery breakdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭compsys

Christ. What an awful run from the ECM.

A dartboard low plunges over the country on Sunday and then meanders overs us for the rest of the run as it gets stuck between two areas of high pressure.

It's actually so bad it's almost funny.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Yeah poor set of charts, LP becoming dominant, average or a bit higher than average temperatures in general with a few lower than average, cooling off at the end of the run, even seeing low single digits at night but too far away to know for sure and rainfall totals up from the ECM, GFS not showing as much rainfall ( but a lot off the coast ) but has lowered the temperatures to the high teens or around 20C on the warmer days . Those meandering LP systems are a devil to forecast and would expect changeable and frustrating charts over the coming days. Depending on the position of the cut off LP could indeed see thunderstorm type weather coming up on bands from the S or SE but a long way off. Bit of a tussle now between LP and HP.

A whole different set of charts now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

WTF what happened the charts tonight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Do you mean Gerry's charts? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

June 2023 was a very nice summer month to be fair. Broke records.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Charts are all over the place, ECM has had a major wobble as far as showing a settled period of weather, the GFS has been a bit more assured

well going by YR for my location it’s showing fine tomorrow and Saturday with Norman service resuming by Sunday. ME are saying the face as of last night. I so much want to be wrong but I don’t e see a classic settled sunny September over the next while.

We also remember the good parts. Back in 2002 I think it was I was in Donegal for a friends wedding. I remember gorgeous sunny weather but was revived listen that the days leading up were cool and showery, the wedding day itself was full but at least dry and the following few days were lovely. It’s the longest days that stuck in my head.

Yes may into June and 1st half of September was nice but was a wash out mid June onwards till September 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Not quite mid June.

19 stations had their highest mean minimum for June on record. Athenry, Co Galway and Shannon Airport, Co Clare experienced 27 consecutive days with maximum air temperatures > 20.0 °C, ending on Saturday 24 June.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Yes my bad was about 3 days earlier for here in carrick but my god we had about 14 thunderstorm days last summer 7 of which was back to back I couldn't believe it

Mod Note: Really need to stay on topic or the thread gets derailed, all interesting posts but better in the other threads.

• Advertisement

What's the latest charts like ??

Advertisement