Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself?) Any update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,124 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

No I just continued writing . I often do ,( that is why there is an edit button and usually one can see if it done after a reply because of the time factor .) What you quoted there is exactly the same as it was , just another paragraph which was even more general.

You really jumped on it straight away , didn't you , when I wasn't even talking about you or your posts,on that or the other thread , just in general and how " bashing " is the reason it was shut .

Meant to be 'discussing' , not 'bashing ' on the site . That was the point .

I wasn't getting at you personally , unlike your reply to me .

I will however remove the quotation marks or edit that post if I can if it upsets you because that was not my intention , and maybe you might edit out some of the personal stuff in your post about me ?

Goodnight .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

This thread has become the kind of thread that plagues CA - a back and forth of bad faith posting, strawmen, and petty insults, crying out for moderation to shut that nonsense down and get it back on track, but the moderation never arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,086 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Precisely. This thread has been a classic example of how a very small number of posters can dominate the site. It gives a bad impression of the site and is not typical of elsewhere on Boards. To give too much credence to them would drive many more members away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,853 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

@Spear @Boards.ie: Mike @Boards.ie: Odhran @Beasty

Well, I started this thread a month ago and can say that, on the one hand, I haven't gotten what I wanted from starting it which was some focused, proactive responses from Boards itself.

On The other hand, it has been a very revealing discussion. Safe to say the accusations of wanting echo chambers are equally felt as being justified by people on every side of the debate.

1 - Can we get a considered response from a suitable Boards representative as to the state of the site.

2 - Can we get a considered response from Boards as to the what they feel are the views expressed in this and the last feedback thread.

3 - I have argued here, and elsewhere that there are debates happening in society, which should be able to happen here, that doesn't mean no rules, or anything goes, but that it can happen and people can be held to account for their views. Maybe that can't happen everywhere on here, but maybe there can be a corner where it can.

4 - I said here a couple days ago that one thing the thread has done has given me an insight in to the pestering that is happening mods behind the scenes. There has to be a solution to mitigate against this whether that be DRP, limited PM's per month to mods or I don't know what.

5 - There is enough interest and quality around here still to have a decent discussion site, hopefully Boards plans will find a way to be able to prioritize positives rather than just focus on the negatives of moderation etc.

6 - More than myself have suggested a subscription service again, if site users can see a positive road map, I think there are possibilities for community funding to help support the site.

If Boards can't engage in a practical manner in terms of communication, threads like this are going to continue to appear and serve as a venting space because there is no other option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,330 ✭✭✭plodder

Couple of random comments

Several years ago I was involved in a debate that "ranged" across multiple threads, when there should have been just a single thread on the topic. People on one side of the debate weaponised the rules by reporting posts that they said should be discussed on one of the other threads but were off-topic on this one. Of course, they gave a free pass to supposedly off-topic posts on their own side. It's just a tactic to exploit rules that are always going to be patchily enforced, to get other views shutdown. Fewer rules the better imo, if mods want an easier life.

While the "Don't be a dick principle" is vague and subject to ideological capture, like what I think happened to the thread I started here a couple of days ago, I know of one poster who was driven off another site, by some really vile, personal abuse, that I know would never be tolerated here. So, it does have some value.

I also don't get the obsession with shutting threads down because they are going round in circles. Some debates will never be resolved. Some people think they are arguing in good faith, but they aren't and never will. If a thread annoys you, then why not just ignore it?

• Advertisement

While the "Don't be a dick principle" is vague and subject to ideological capture, like what I think happened to the thread I started here a couple of days ago, I know of one poster who was driven off another site, by some really vile, personal abuse, that I know would never be tolerated here. So, it does have some value.

With respect to this point above, any chance we could get to a place where this 'don't be a d*ck' philosophy to enact moderation is applied only in cases where it is genuinely warranted.

I feel it has been used more and more in recent years to just remove awkward rather than genuinely d*ckish content. It's always going to be subjective, I get that, but let's try to have some form of consistency and treat adults like adults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

One notable aspect of this thread and the previous one, is how Boards fits in well with the general behaviour of 'institutions'. There's a strong tendency not to accept criticism, to deflect and justify decisions. Circle the wagons and defend the institution at all costs. Even when it's obvious for all to see, even those within, that certain practices and people within are doing damage to said institutions.

Look, you're always going to have accusations of circling the wagons when those who complain don't get outcomes but they are happy with.

But the people complaining also need to understand and respect that they may be wrong, or in the minority or not on the same wavelength as the institution, or people within it.

What you're saying does happen, but also it is accused of having happened time and again just because someone didn't get the outcome they demanded.

Both sides need to be open minded in this respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

A small subscription for the year which will deter reregs if they have to pay to troll.

Update the charter to give more clarity on being uncivil or acting the dick.

CA threads seem to take up most of dispute resolution and take a long time to resolve, get in mods from other areas to speed up the process.

Stop closing threads where a few posters are derailing it, deal with them and not punish everyone else.

Hold Mods to the standards that are expected of normal posters.

Try recruit more Mods for CA to make things better for everyone.

Instead of threadbans, do a 3 day ban, then 5 and your gone or something to that affect.

I lost my temper one night to someone trolling, it was out of character and I was wrong and deservedly punished, it was a thread I enjoyed posting in and that was gone by one mistake, if someone does something that warrants three bans then they deserve to go.

Was it Feargal Quinn used to say 'The Customer is King'.

There are and have been many regular customers of Boards giving direct testimony that there are problems with how threads on the site are managed.

This who care a whit about the site and those who manage it dismiss these concerns at their peril. Ears need to be open.

Any successful institution adapts and finds a way to encompass not only the loyal unquestioning customers but also those who have difficulties with it.

When institutions don't learn & change, they lose customers and fade.

• Advertisement

This is not a reflection on you personally but that type of attitude is usually expressed when some people don't get what they want. There's sound and justified criticism and then there's criticism because things aren't just how somebody else would like them to be. I also would take issue with expressions like "obvious for all to see". I'm sorry but you cannot speak for all on any topic based on only the non-representative few posting in a thread.

Nothing has ever been perfect and nothing will ever be perfect. Likewise, no one outlet is going to meet the expectations or aspirations of everybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Except for a notable exception.

We're not customers.

What are you paying for the privilege of posting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

The thing is, your blanket proposal to get rid of moderators and admins that you and a handful of other posters want to get rid of doesn't mean everyone agrees with you. If anything it just comes across as a silly demand. I think a fair few posters would benefit more from changing their own posting style tbh.

And I would caution Boards not to jump in to address issues raised, and raised ad nauseum, by what is a tiny percentage of users, at the risk of driving the majority away from the site.

Of course all opinions matter but if they are not held by the majority they cannot be to the detriment of the whole.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Personally I have to say I agree with this, alot of the issues come down to how posters are posting, be it aggresive/aggitated or whatever. Then when it goes against them they are the most heard person on the site because they have to play the victim everywhere. Its as simple as this, as a mod we have rules for our areas ad we will mod them within those rules. Sometimes if we are unsure we will consult our co-mods and come to a decision. Not every decision we make will be right but at least we can hold our hands up and say that in DRP and that also means going forward there is more clarity after we get things wrong.

Yeah, but which customer?

Furze99 or Tell me how?

Absolutely I think Boards needs to listen to the users, their lack of engagement to this point suggests that isn't necessarily the case, but let's give them the benefit of the doubt and going forward everything will be awesome and wonderful. But even then, it doesn't mean they have tojump when just 1 or 2 or whatever number of posters tell them to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,646 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And as I've mentioned on the thread already, the key "customer feedback" not aired here is that from posters who've left the site.

That needs to be borne in mind as a "known unknown".

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Well we are in fact more than just customers: what's the saying "If you're not paying for the product, then you're the product"

We invest out time and thoughts here and the site simply wouldn't exist without this investment of our time & effort. There is a value to be put on this.

Looked at another way, I run a small business and if I treated my customers in the manner some moderators treat users here, I wouldn't be long in the game.

That's real feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

tbf, the "moderation never arrives" is still a gripe we have not only in CA, but across the entire site…

Turning this place into an Irish version of Something Awful by implementing a cost probably isn't the solution; and if anything will further accelerate the downward spiral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,466 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Turning this place into an Irish version of Something Awful by implementing a cost probably isn't the solution; and if anything will further accelerate the downward spiral.

Mmmmmm. Absolutely nothing would clear this place faster than asking people to pay just to post their nonsense on a message board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,184 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

you ran a business for a profit incentive. Mods are unpaid volunteers. I don’t think the analogy carries over to this well.

I think there can be a middle ground.

I personally wouldn't mind paying given hiw much I use it (used to use it to be fair).

Can understand the hesitation from a new user's perspective.

It's not rocket science, money is needed to fund it, it has to come from somewhere, where can that be?

If it stayed as is, but if the subscription gave you access to Current Affairs only, would that work? There'd still be the rest of boards to play in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,184 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

unworkable. Doesn’t solve the “echo chamber” complaints and trolls who get banned for breaking the rules will pull the “but I’m a paying customer” schtick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,466 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Look, few people are going to be willing to pay to post on a message board, no matter how much they use it. Traffic will come to a virtual standstill if a mandatory sub was implemented.

Perhaps a voluntary sub can be looked into. But if it's made compulsory, then Boards days really will be numbered.

Thing is, I'm of the opinion that there's actually little wrong with this place. Apart from the trolling issues and WUM's that bring it down. Some people keep saying that it's dead or on it's last legs, but I don't see that at all.

Are there technical issues with the site? Sure. But there's nothing that can't be worked around. Do certain posters have constant issues with the mods? Again, sure. But, frankly, that's more down to them than it is the mods. Boards has its problems, but I don't know of a discussion forum that doesn't and I used quite a few of them over the decades.

For the majority of users the place works, in general. Otherwise, we wouldn't be here. Some of us every day.

@Flaneur OBrien

If it stayed as is, but if the subscription gave you access to Current Affairs only, would that work? There'd still be the rest of boards to play in.

I can't see that as a goer, TBH.

We had it with the Sex and Sexuality forum before. You only had access if you were a mod or subscriber. If you got banned, tough. If it's listed as an extra benefit of subscription and not the only reason for subscription, it's fine as an extra benefit can be removed at any time.

Re the "echo chamber complaints"? I honestly couldn't care less. It will stop trolls on the "night shift" from re-regging and taking up the mods time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Any chance you'd explain what you think the poster in question needs to do to prove that he's not a narcissist? Other than stop posting, I suppose.

Secondly, even if that is true, this is not a psychotherapy site. Either he breaks the rules and should be sanctioned, and will end up banned from everywhere, or he isn't breaking the rules, in which case it's really not up to the moderator to call him names.

Can other posters respond in the same way (without being sanctioned) when they get frustrated, or is handing out personal abuse one of the perks of being a mod?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,646 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I suspect in that case the rereg trolls might hijack a thread in one of the other forums instead.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Shoog

A moderator is free to post a a private poster, there is no rule against it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement