Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 DCM Mentored Novices Thread

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I'm similar. I've starting using electrolyte tablets in a drink now (Zero tabs) and in the 2 days before a long run or the marathon I would make sure I'm getting in a good amount of water with the tablet in it (makes it taste much better to me). This way you should be well hydrated on the morning of the run. This means sipping water will keep you topped up rather than putting a litre of 2 of water into yourself on the morning of a run which for me would be torture and very uncomfortable for running around with.

TBH 4 Gels out on course is about my max however 3 cliff bloks = 1 gel so I mix those into the nutrition plan to get myself to the required carb intake. Sometimes you do need to force the last 1 or 2 in however with time I've found that I can tell whether I need those final ones or whether I'm ok to just have another few of the bloks/sweets to carry me across the line.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

No. Just water.

I do buy salt/electrolyte sweets for between my gels. Not sure if they do much but haven't hit the wall since I started using them AND gels every 35 mins.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I love these. The lemon version is delicious 😊

But, just my luck, they are a bit fizzy, and because I've got a stupid sensitive tummy, I had to give them up as they were giving me reflux as I run. So, I bought salt capsules from Decathlon, down the hatch at water stations, problem sorted. I think 2 over 4 hours is the recommended dose.

Like Pawwed Rig, it took me 4 marathons to get my nutrition right... a combo of gels, salt tabs, water, and nice, chewy bars from Aldi... Munchy Bars, is that what they're called? Experimented quite a lot until I found these, but I must also try fig rolls which I love... I like the idea of looking forward to the carb intake, especially after several gels.

One more thing to think about... caffeine.. via gels, jellies, or shots. For me, based on what the rather limited research says, one about 5k in, and another at about 28k ish. But definitely not to be tried for the first time on the big day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Hi there, just wondering how big a portion of white rice (do you weigh it?)

Also would brown rice be better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4 TOYO

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!) No this is my 1st marathon

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do) No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. I'm doing the Novice Supreme Marathon Training Program | Hal Higdon (on week 22 of 30 week program) up to 38/39kms per week at this stage.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    • I want to run the entire marathon no stopping accept for the bathroom if needed :)
    • Dream time would be 4:30 but probably more likely to be closer to the 5hrs

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    • I train 4 times a week
    • 1 x S&C (Class just recently finished so I'm frantically looking for a replacement)
    • 20km Pace 4:46/km Time 2h 15m
    • 11.30km Pace 6:32/km Time 1h 13m
    • 4.8km Pace 6.18/km Time 30m

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    • Lots!! Fear I'm not fuelling enough and I don't take in water during my runs but before and after.
    • Heard horror stories of bathroom episodes during the run.
    • Reading here I'm now worried I've not done any practice organised races Halfs etc
    • Fear of creating long term damage - I don't carry any weight but my knees are creaking now and letting me know I'm putting them to the test. Going to physio now once a month for the last 3mths. I wear Asics and Brooks running shoes - alternate.
    • Fear of injury - I have two left feet!!

Why are you running this marathon?
    • My Mum and Father in Law passed in the last 12+mths and I'm doing it for the Irish Heart foundation in their memory and as a tribute to them while raising funds for a wonderful charity.
    I'm 52 and it's also been on my bucket list and I think it's now or never!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Trevorfromtheshoppingcentre

I don’t weight it, I just have an extra scoop of rice with dinner the night before my long run or longish threshold session. Sometimes it looks like too much rice but I’m burning extra calories with the extra mileage and better to be getting most of my calories from carbohydrates.

I don’t know if brown rice would be better or not. I would normally have always eaten brown rice before this training block. It’s easier to stomach large portions of white rice though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭CWF

I've read that white rice is better pre run because it is easier to digest, less fibre etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

well done on another good week. Legs feeling tired is normal - make sure to take your rest and recovery days. Glad to hear that you feel the training is paying off. Hope your schedule works out for you this week.

Isn;t it a great feeling when you repeatedly run your longest run ever?!!

In terms of carrying things - I use a flip belt to carry my gels and jellies. Decathalon and sports shops do running belts. The group that I run with - we plan out our route in advance and arrange for people to stash water along the way to top up our water and take a little breather. I try to hydrate well the day or two before hand and sip at water on my long run. I pop an electrolyte tablet in my water bottle at the start and have another one wrapped in tinfoil in my belt to top up.

Make sure you are properly hydrated during the week and check the colour of your wee - it should be a straw-like colour - any darker and you need to hydrate more.

• Advertisement

Well done. My miscalculations always result in me running longer than planned! 😄

Love running new routes!

Did you locate the source of the blood? Toenail? Blister? Chapped skin?

Keep an eye on that knee….

I can understand people's schedules can be busy over the summer months and make it more difficult to get all the runs in - will this still be the case going forward?

Hitting your step goal in the morning is a great (and allowably smug) feeling!

Water - there will be a number of water stations along the marathon route - I think every 3M/5km. Usually small water bottles to carry along with you. Stay well hydrated during the week - pee should be a straw like colour. Also hydrate well in the hours after your long run. For your long run, sip at your water - if you gulp up or take on larger quantities at once it will slosh around in your tummy - hate that feeling - but sipping it I find easier on my stomach.

For Gels - they recommend every 30 mins but I find that's too much for me who is 4:30+ I tend to take a gel every 7km / 45mins which probably isn't enough but manageable for me. It really is trial and error for everyone and what the long runs and practice races are for - seeing what type of gels/fuelling suits you and when and how.

It seems complicated at times this marathon business!!! 😁

Welcome on board. How has your training gone so far this summer? What distance are you up to on your long run?

How long have you been running? As the mileage increases I would recommend carrying water or scheduling water stops, even just for a sip. Also consider how to fuel your body to cover the distance and start practicing on your longer runs.

Take a bit of time if you can to have a read over this thread - plenty of tips and tricks and also your fellow novices have posted some very good updates.

Your "why" for the marathon is very strong - sorry for your losses and a very worthwhile cause to raise funds for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,070 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Think I've found the problem, a toenail growing a little sideways, hopefully that solves it.

Yeah I should be able to commit more moving into September, my HH plan has updated though and sometimes only has me running twice during the week with the long run on Sunday, not sure why that has happened, maybe he knows I have the runners knee and IT band Syndrome 😆

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

GELS  

I probably should have put this post together a few weeks ago but the weeks are really flying by!

Naturally enough there have been a few questions on taking gels in your LSR (long slow run) and on race day so hopefully I can provide you with some information from my limited use of gels. I never used gels before training for the marathon last year so I understand that it can seem a bit daunting and overwhelming.

Basically; when you run your body uses two sources of fuel to feed your muscles: fat and carbohydrates. While fat is widely available it’s slower to break down into usable energy which means it's not particularily effective as a fuel source when running a marathon. And God knows I'm carrying some excess that could be used 😁

So instead, your body relies on carbohydrates as its primary fuel source. As a general rule the faster you run, the more your fuel will come from carbohydrates. But your body can only store a limited amount of carbohydrates in our muscles, known as glycogen; at half marathon pace this is about 90 minutes (1.5 hours) of running and at marathon pace about 120 minutes (2 hours) of running. This means the average runner will be running low on glycogen stores about halfway through their marathon. You are all just over half marathon just on your long runs now in training so this is when you will need to start considering how you are going to fuel your body during your run. Energy gels can replenish your depleted carbohydrate stores when running. An energy gel contain about 25g of carbohydrates per gel, in the form of simple sugars which is an accessible energy source for your body to process. One gel provides about 30/45 minutes of running. 

The perfect time to take an energy gels depends on you and your body. I’m afraid it really is trial and error, it can take a number of long runs or even a number of marathons to perfect this - I don't think I've even cracked it for myself. Every runner absorbs and processes carbohydrates at different rates; some can feel the effect within 3 minutes while for others it might take up to 15 minutes. As your body diverts blood away from your stomach towards your active muscles, your absorption rate slows, or sometimes your stomach shuts down completely; this is most common cause for unwanted toilets stops during a run. Eeekk! Now this doesn't happen to everyone - but if it does happen to you, it just means your body is under a bit of pressure.

The most important rule is to take the gel before you need it, not as you feel yourself starting to crash or hitting that "wall". Practise with energy gels throughout your training to ensure you know when and which energy gels to take. As your digestion process slows during your run, it’s important not to overload your stomach. Wait around 45 minutes / 5 miles between gels to ensure you don’t intake too much simple sugar at once and sip on the gel rather than wolfing it down. Consider alternating between caffeine and non-caffeine energy gels too to ensure you don’t take on too much caffeine. While energy gels are hugely beneficial and convenient for marathon runners - there’s no doubt about it - but they’re not to everyone’s taste. Although usually water-based they vary in consistency from viscous and thick to thinner but with a stronger taste. I'd really recommend trying a few different brands and types to find the right consistency and flavour that works for you. 

Also remember to carry water with you especially when getting used to taking the gels, it will be easier on your stomach. 

I personally take hi5 aqua gels. They are more liquidy, less sticky although they are a bit more bulky, they take up more space in my running belt.  I take one every 7 or 8km - I think that generally works for me.  I also bring fruit pastilles or jelly babies with me – sometimes I want something more solid to have. I did find during the marathon last year that I couldn’t face into my last scheduled gel around 21 miles, I got a small pack of haribo from a spectator but it was a struggle to open the pack in the rain!  So this year I’m going to make sure I bring along something more solid to get me through the last few miles. When my longest races were half marathons I would have used cliff blocs so I might get a pack of those to try out again. I think 3 blocs = 1 gel.

So take the coming weeks to have a go at taking gels to see if they work for you. What ever gels you find work for you in training - make sure that are the ones you use on race day v- nothing new on race day. Don't be tempted to buy gels at the expo the day before - unless they are the type you've been using anyway. Practice carrying them in your pockets or running belt. Lastly - and this comes off the back of a podcast I listened to this morning and also witnessing it last weekend at a race - don't litter with your gel wrappers. Put them in your nearest bin or put it back in your pocket or belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4 TOYO

Thanks a lot Sunny! Training is going to schedule…swopping around the runs as I need to for other life events but not missing any scheduled.

I ran Park Runs in the past (5k's only) but fell out of that habit after some major surgery some a couple of years ago all ok to do it now. My longest run is 20k so far to become 24.1 tomorrow and it grows from there. I'm running for the DCM since April 1st (more fool me :))

I'll be away in France for the upcoming ones in blue text so looking out now for running routes for where I'll be on holidays, green is run, red is to come :)

Will definitely read up on the water intake and fueling, at the moment I'm using jelly babies and jelly beans, a few every 5k or so, seems to be working ok. I've bought some gels but they don't appeal I don't know why, I haven't even tried them might need to give them a go!

Advertisement