Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,136 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Are you solely responding to that one poster then? Was there context to their statement that you are leaving out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The very reason that Trump continues to see such support is the very reason why he will struggle to attract new support. People are well aware of who Trump is. They have made their minds up. 9 years he has been playing the same gig. He didn't even stop campaigning when he did become POTUS. So there is nothing new there.

He does carry a very large, and very committed, level of support. A level of support that I would bet almost no one else could have continued with given everything that he has done. But the flip side is that he will always find it difficult to break through. He didn't do it, in terms of the popular vote, in 2016 when he had the benefits of the newcomer. He lost again om 2020, this time the EC went against him as well.

He is losing support with women because of his almost glee with getting Roe v Wade overturned. How to win that support back. Soften his message on abortion. But that carries the real risk of losing the very support he has now.

He carries a lot of support because he 'says it like it is'. But that puts many off and is now faced with not only a woman but a minority. Can he successfully land the hits against Harris whilst not alienating those who don't already support him? The last few weeks would suggest not.

He had the incumbency in 2020, traditionally a massive benefit, but still lost. But he is running on the basis of his experience of being POTUS, which immediately brings people back to why they didn't vote for him in 2020. Is there anything he has done since that election to make those people think they should give him another go?

Anyone who has paid any attention to US politics since 2015 will know that you can never write off Trump. At every stage where one would think he was done, he managed to rise again. He has been prematurely written off way too many times. So I don't think anyone thinks that Harris has this won. Or that anyone will go into the election night thinking that they know what is going to happen. Based on 2020, it is more likely that we will still be questioning who will be POTUS well into January 2025.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,474 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Yeah, the 'is/ought' dichotomy that has plagued philosophers for centuries, writ large on the global political stage.

Just because Trump is close to winning this election, doesn't mean he ought to be.

On all reasonable grounds for selecting a world leader, Trump fails on every one of them. And yet, he's still a coin flip from winning the election.

Usually when what 'is' is so significantly divergent from what 'ought' to be, it indicates a need for systemic change (of course, 'ought' is subjective)

I personally think there are a huge amount of things that are wrong with the US democratic system that have led to the situation where we are left with a demagogue being so close to clinching power again.

eg: The first past the post 2 party system means the political system is inherently crippled by two dominant political forces who are both hugely corruptable an almost impossible to replace

The funding model for US politics that allows billionaires and corporations to funnel money into their preferred candidates anonymously and with few if any actual limitations

The dissolving system of checks and balances, SCOTUS being corrupted by nakedly political appointments, who are making these kinds of interventions in the political system (citizens united, giving the POTUS immunity to prosecution, hanging chads in Florida, and the potential that they'll be the casting votes in the upcoming election if any race is challenged up to the SCOTUS)

The media being so polarised, with local media being owned by a tiny mumber of conglomorates that have polarised the US population and caused an extremely partisan hostile and uninformed electorate across the most consequential 'battleground states'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,135 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I guess it’s just so much easier for you to shout that people you disagree with here “dont have the mental capacity” to believe your vapid arguments such as “Trump is more experienced” because “he was the president”

I don’t think you need much more oxygen here. This is like your recently shuttered feedback thread where you felt that you were free to name call other posters in lieu of remaining civil. Who lacks mental capacity then?

Trump has a lot of experience “being president” I guess, sure he is the most impeached one term president in history, under his experience he ran up the largest one term deficit in human history and buddied up to the Taliban and dictators and played a ton of golf. But Harris, pfft, she was just the vice president of a normal administration, a senator and a career prosecutor with no scandals to her name. Close call.

I’v no intention of entering a “bickering” completion with you- but thanks for the offer anyway.

I’ve no intention of bickering with you either I just note it’s strange you feel free to declare everyone you disagree with “lacks the mental capacity” to agree with you. It’s very transparent low effort posting. Your mask is off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The only reason you can't write off trump is because he keeps running and taking centre stage for the GOP in a 2-party system where only a few states effectively come into play.

From a record perspective, he hasn't overseen an election "win" since 2016.

The most extraordinary aspect for me is how Trump has held the reins for so long as candidate without any viable alternative getting a look in- it’s the illusion of democracy only - “land of the free” it is not. It’s quite a fearful paranoid place right now

• Advertisement

and that win was not with the popular vote.

Right now the only way he has a shot is voter roll and turnout shenanigans in several states. In reality the GOP are worried he might actually lose both Florida and Texas - Florida where he is worried about high turnout because of an abortion ballot initiative, and Texas because in 2020 the state nearly turned blue over one county, Harris County (ironic naming). Texas is currently in a massive voter roll purge, over a million purged. Reportedly in GA people say on Reddit for example that they’ve been purged from the rolls more than once this year and keep having to reregister to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

Not having been president before is the usual before becoming president. It can't really be an issue if it is usually expected that at least 1 of the candidates have not held the position before and frequently neither will have that experience. Generally people look for experience in politics and law for the presidency which she has ample of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Yes, yes you would think it's more. But for some inexplicable reason, people keep "both-siding" them, or attacking Harris for "inexperience", or for whats happening in the Middle East (even though Trump would be categorically worse) or her gender or her race or holding Trump over Harris for doing interviews with handpicked, softball journalists who aren't miked up.

THEY ARE NOT ON THE SAME LEVEL AS EACH OTHER.

And I can see why @Akrasia is getting the thanks they are for that post pointing out Trump's flaws. It's a brilliant, beautiful, succinct post and makes it that friggin' simple. If I could thank it twice, I could.

Honest to God man, if YOU were running for president, you would have my vote over Trump.

Character HAS to be important in that job. You are a role model to millions.

At this stage I would encourage people to vote for ANYONE that wasn't that duplicitous moron.

Maybe if the "devils advocates" could just take a step back and look at the big picture, and then used that energy they're using to offer up "both sides" of the debate, maybe, JUST MAYBE, her lead would grow in the polls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭swampgas

Another factor is how desperate and underhanded the GOP is at state level, being prepared to undermine the whole electoral system if they don't see themselves winning legitimately. I expect that voter suppression will be rampant, and that legal strategies to ignore the vote and put forward their own slate of electors are already in place. It's not just Trump trying to win here, it's a very corrupt GOP at state level trying to rig the election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 810 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

There’s no question Harris is the “better” candidate when compared to Trump - but morality doesn’t appear to be a significant factor in this election - well as significant as it should be given Trumps ever expanding list of crimes and misdemeanours.

This 4% of undecided voters- what in all that’s holy will persuade them given all that’s known about Trump? What does Harris have to do to convince them? That’s the secret sauce and I’m not sure does anyone have the answer- that’s why this election is so riveting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,136 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Have you ever tuned into Fox news? They've been bombarded with indoctrination for decades, social media has increased that exponentially. This situation hasn't happened purely organically, it's been heavily cultivated. It's not exclusive to "one side", and it's certainly not exclusive to just the US. Extreme candidates have been gaining traction everywhere.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I'm pretty sure that the potential Trump/Biden match up was the first time in US History that both candidates had been President before.

So at least one and quite a lot of the time BOTH of the candidates will have no previous experience of "being President" so I don't think it's really a thing.

Incumbency definitely has value most of the time, but Trump is only the 2nd candidate in history to have previously been President and not be an incumbent so there's no historical reference to gauge its value.

What we do know is that last time out "incumbency" was actually damaging to Trump as people did not like what he had done as President.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,612 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

…Ah well there was the mayhem of 1912.

Democratic Governor Woodrow Wilson of New Jersey unseated incumbent Republican President William Howard Taft while defeating former President Theodore Roosevelt (who ran under the banner of the new Progressive/"Bull Moose" Party)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1912_United_States_presidential_election

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Yvonne007

The fact that Kamala is the Dems pick is equally as telling.

She was incredibly unpopular and has been only parachuted in as nominee because the president was so inept.

Kamala shouldn't be within an ass' roar of being their canditate but they painted themselves into a corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,454 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Exactly, and how could people form a solid opinion of her? She was a Vice President and VP's are largely absent from the political stage. They operate as a stand in for the President, should the need arise.

That's the norm.

She's far from a "joke" however. Which is, as you say, just another baseless MAGA slur in a long line of slurs. And let's be honest, as a faction that's their biggest attribute, if not their only attribute.

Either way, nothing is done and dusted as far as the election is concerned. But the thing is, I don't see anyone actually saying that it is. Not on the Dem's side anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

She got all the nominations from the DNC and the polls would indicate that the voters are happy enough. It is true that Biden was the first choice to be the candidate, but circumstances changed and the person who the DNC felt was a good pick for VP, and thus potentially to become POTUS, put her hand up to be nominated.

She was voted in as a senator, the AG for California.

Not sure where this idea that is she is deeply unpopular has come from.

Her last campaign run is where I am getting my idea from.

She did pick up all the nominations this time, because they had no other option really at this late stage.

the suppression efforts, hopefully, appear to be backfiring as voter registrations eclipse the 2020 numbers, in some groups it’s tripling 🤯

• Subscribers Posts: 41,743 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

She wasn't "deeply unpopular" by any means, she was just less popular than Joe Boden, for many obvious reasons.

Putting your name in for your parties nomination is generally the standard way of climbing the political ladder anyway, nothing new here at all.

Her run for the 2020 election doesn't tally with her being popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,548 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Pretty select data point you're using, she received all the democratic nominations for the current run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,612 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not at all, crowded Democratic field, shows the candidates they could have put forward.
    Especially if you have a few candidates competing for the centrist Democratic votes.
    It might show she is less popular than other candidates, that doesn't mean she is unpopular.

If she was so unpopular, how was she elected to the Senate.

If she was so unpopular, why was she put on the ticket at all.

Your claims don't add up.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Yes, she did. Because, and I repeat, they painted themselves into a corner by allowing Biden to stay in so long. The fact they allowed him to have that disasterous debate performance was bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I think you're understanding how well received Harris has been. She's only been running for just over a month.

Advertisement