Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself?) Any update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭volchitsa

And that does not contradict anything I said so I've no idea what your point is.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I doubt anyone wanting to sign up to discuss current affairs would mind a small annual fee to do so, people signing up to troll and make things unbearable are less likely to join.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,594 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Lads, any kind of mandatory fee would absolutely crater the amount of people using the site.

I kinda agree broadly with what Tony Eh has had to say. The site isn't that bad really and a lot of those who complain the loudest only represent a certain part of the userbase.

It's not perfect, it is in decline, but IMO this has nothing really to do with moderation. Most users on the site never interact with the mods or accumulate warnings etc. Messageboards are on the way out and there's no interest from those running the show in dedicating any effort to the site: that's it really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Twitter has a subscription model for blue check users and they seem to be infested with trolls. I think the sub model would kill off the site for good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,184 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

the nature of the S and S forum is completely different though to CA. Subbing to have a private/sensitive place to discuss tantric sex is a bit different to needing to pay to have an opinion on an upcoming general election etc.

better to implement hardcoded limits to who can post in CA so you can’t just reg new troll accounts every few minutes or keep a backlog of sleeper accounts with no post count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭MacDanger

This pretty much sums up my opinion on the matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

The idea of a subscription was always that it would be a voluntary contribution. There was added benefits to being a subscriber, but if you weren't a subscriber, you wouldn't notice. You might get an extra star in your field, or instead of "registered user" it would say "subscriber" or a handle of your choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

This thread is getting closed at 5pm today, so no. There's no chance I'll explain the rationale behind a post from two days ago, and after an Admin asked us all to move along and wrap up the conversation.

And is that not already the case? I had always supposed that having multiple accounts was a no-no. Was that naive of me?

What about closing an account and then opening a new one - I see that's been suggested earlier. Again, I would have thought that was, if not actually banned, then at least frowned upon?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

LOL. The reality is that the poster cannot possibly disprove such a claim - it's fact-free abuse. You're happy to concur because it's a poster you disagree with, that's all.

Either this sort of personal abuse is allowed or it is not. A poster who is the object of such abuse should not have to disprove it for it to be sanctionable. And the idea that only mods can get irritated and post such abuse while other posters would get banned for the same behaviour is ridiculous on a site that claims to apply the same rules to all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

This, and plenty of other QOL issues that are too numerous to mention, should have been flagged before the changeover happened. I genuinely cannot believe that either a) someone missed the fact that we should have retained all of these little things that simply worked and made the site a better place to be or b) saw they were being shelved and just said "ahhhh, it'll be grand".

Pain in the neck finding your own posts now at times.

Can't see the top thanked posts in the past day or two.

Can't multi-quote properly.

Can't part quote someone without a load of hoopla.

Can't see how many users etc. are online……..I presume this info is available to admins etc, surely you can see the numbers have fallen off a cliff since vanilla changeover? The changeover period was beset by issues and went on for too long. I'd say there's a huge cohort of people who just never bothered logging back n after that debacle.

I don't think the modding in general is an issue. I DO think there is an overly cautious approach to certain topics, especially when they are fresh/new. People want to talk about stuff now, that's the way of the modern world. Once upon a time, Boards was one of the first places to find out about certain events….now you're not allowed to discuss them half the time.

This was all begun as a response to the MCD nonsense, and signaled the start of the decline of the site. If you add in the fact that times are a changing and message boards are on the way out, the disastrous vanilla debacle………..is it any wonder she's on her last legs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It makes little difference - moderators may be unpaid volunteers (and kudos to them for this) but they are still representatives of the site. Substitute charity for business - if a charity shop had volunteers that routinely insulted people who came in the door or insulted those who donated goods, it wouldn't be long till they were asked to leave.

As for subs, a voluntary sub could be a workable model. It could cause some potential for misunderstanding but might overall be to the benefit of the site and contributors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,646 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If a player bad mouths the volunteer coaches of a sports team because they were dropped or whatever, they can expect short shrift in return.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Flip your scenario though, if the charity shop customers regularly abused the volunteers they wouldn't be long being asked not to return.

And if a customer demanded that shop volunteers and whoever manages them be removed that customer would be to told to jog on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Mandatory subs to access CA will not work, it will drive trolls to other areas of the site where its free and then the entire process here starts again with people looking for more changes. One of the main things wrong with the site compared to years ago is the lack of people reporting posts. I have seen numerous times people complain about others in feedback etc but in the majority or cases they didnt report the post and only after mentioning same in feedback did they eventually go back and report the post.

Users and mods should essentially work in harmony, the posters are the ones involved in the topics so 99% of the time they are the first to see any of the posts but dont report them, if people reported the posts in the first instance instead of replying to them alot of the issues would be cleared up. Mods alot of the time can only spare time to look at reported posts instead of reading page after page of a topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No need to flip it - try to run any business or charity or sports club where the 'staff' are rude and it will struggle.

I think one of the reasons posts may not be getting reported is a perception nothing happens, due to the lack of visible mod activity on the thread. The poster may have been sanctioned, or not, you don't know. For long time in CA the only visible sign of activity might be a message "Poster X threadbanned".
    Other than that… posts deleted and stuff done by DM.

Multiple posters have flagged recent posts in this thread in CA, it has been 3 days and nothing has happened to content which under multiple boards rules is completely unacceptable.
    I am not mentioning the poster here, but I am bringing it up as an example of why people perceive they are wasting time reporting posts.

I know the CA mods have a lot of their plate, and do trojan work but it is not an isolated incident that egregious posts are left in situ for long time despite being reported.

Have a look at the posts from 25th August 6pm or so on this thread, last page.

There's similar comment on this Help Desk thread, also reported, comments still there.
    Look at 10th August 5pm.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058363766/doesnt-boards-have-a-policy-about-hate-speech#latest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Context matters.

I'm from a family business and have managed in retail, I couldn't tell you how any customers I've been "rude" to over the years but it was nearly always customers we could do without and who were ruining the experience for others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,124 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

@odyssey06

OK I tend not to get time to Mod in CA but I know I have the permissions to do so, I will get a few minutes to go through reported posts and look after them to give the main CA guys a dig out. I seen the posts you have refereed to and will take them into acocunt when I get about 20 mins or so this afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If a mod is acting on a reported post, they should leave the post in place, delete the inappropriate content, and leave a brief statement of mod action in the post.

In this way, reporters can easily see if mod action was actually taken. Original reported post remaining as is implies no mod action.

The only reasonable exception should be if nuking a rereg troll, where all posts are normally deleted.

If you are prepared to do the mod work, that should include leaving a mod comment when action is taken.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,187 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think there should be a general boards feedback thread here too (which doesn't get closed) as well as mod announcements thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,184 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

OK I tend not to get time to Mod in CA but I know I have the permissions to do so

I hope to see more of this, it's as though CA in particular has fallen into this trap of eg. 'beasty etc. normally handle this forum so I'll let them keep at it' for the sake of consistency or whatever, but some of the posts in feedback lately indicate that eg. beasty etc. may be rightly taking more time off from the site lately whether from IRL or burnout so it's good of people with the permissions to come and step in, IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Shoog

The point is - if you think a mod is breaking the rules in a private post - then report them like any other board member should be reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,853 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Several times on this thread, we've seen posters mention a specific lack of modding on various threads, mods have reacted and said they'd look in to it and have often come back to say action was or would be taken.

This in itself shows that a big big issue is reports aren't being seen or acted upon. If that is happening, there definitely isn't time for determining context on any given thread. This will lead to frustration and more accusations of bias as somethings are missed and more are actioned.

Sufficient mod numbers is the biggest hurdle to a functioning site. Something we've probably all known for the mast 3 years. I'd like Boards to update why it's been something they haven't managed to get a handle on in that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Back and forth shouldn't be tolerated in such a thread either.

Questions are fine but people losing their tempers over suggestions or statements made by other users has tanked this thread.

Same goes for smarmy one liners designed to cause arguments, if that's your contribution to feedback you should be sitting out the thread for a day or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

One minor suggestion, maybe it's worth rotating mods in from other forums. Just so long term mods don't face burnout and have more support..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,397 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Mother of God is that trolling or genuine hate speech?

That should have attracted an accumulation of warnings (even of it was to random posts) thrown on until a permanent site ban was triggered.

Or just implanted by a mod/cmod/admin as it was mentioned earlier in the thread it's possible to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,397 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Advertisement

This is probably not the place to discuss it in specific terms… and this thread's closure is imminent.

I mentioned it obliquely (and deliberately didn't link to the specific posts or name the poster) to reinforce perception that reporting posts is a waste of time in CA (at times).

I don't have confidence that all reports are being eyeballed within even 72 hours, whether that is lack of mods or technical issues in the reporting tools I don't know.
    Not just in CA. One of the current most active threads in the Dublin City forum based on all previous moderation on the forum should not be there.

I would suggest to mods\admins reading this thread, if they get a chance, to report posts as a test in their forum and verify that the reports show up.

Given the new requirements coming in, mandatory for social media sites for hate speech etc, something will have to give with CA… more mods… closed overnight (!) … some process for escalating posts of concern wrt to the legislation that is subject to sanction if abused.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement