Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

1176177178179180182»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I don't see the need to have them on products you'd only have in the fridge particularly milk. They should only be on drinks where you might drop the cap outdoors.

Controversial opinion: I find grown adults who drink bottles of pop and packets of crisps, how will I put it, a bit juvenile. And I don't get how people can eat meals with a drink that is basically liquid sugar. Yuck, I feel ill at the the thought of it. I grew out of all that naturally without even trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Cordell

And real tan is even worse, it increases the risk of getting melanoma and it ages the skin prematurely. White skin is beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Greyfox

With no cap theirs a small chance milk could get contaminated. I agree with your second paragraph

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭highpitcheric

well look at you sniffing wine and discussing textures like a big boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,913 ✭✭✭growleaves

We should bring back duels.

"Sir, you have misgendered me. I demand satisfaction. Choose your weapon."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Not controversial at all

Everyone should work at least six months in a customer service position. That education will last you a lifetime. For the rest of your life you will treat people with respect.

When I was a barman the ordinary working people were sound to me. The extremely rich people in the town (like the owner of the cement works) were nice and kind. The worst customers were the middle class new money, own a few flats around town jumped up snobs who treated me like dirt. What business acumen did they show to get their wealth? None, they just married a smart builder and these "ladies who leisure" do not even work.

We do not need military service but a lot of people sure do need 6 months working retail! Looking back that was a lousy, minimum wage, mopping toilets, serving drunks job but I learned a life lesson and so can others

• Registered Users Posts: 18,865 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Those Godfather films - Jayus they are so long drawn out and boring. Well shot with some good bits in them admittedly (De Niro in particular). But overall they really drag, it is a real slog.

For example, Godfather II was on RTE recently. Honestly, I fell asleep watching it!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

A few people I know visited Ireland over the summer, one thing that they separately remarked on was how the young girls looked identical with fake tan, clothing etc.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

While it may increase the risk of melanoma, I disagree it looks trashy. In fact, if done right, on the right natural tone of skin, it can actually look quite good and healthy. Most Irish people can't make it look right but very many people in mainland Europe can. French, Spanish, Italian, Greek, Estonian, Belgian and Czech are just some of the nationalities I've meet who can tan very well.

Fan tan is trashy almost by default. Real tan is not.

My CO for today is that 95% of people (mostly women) who get work done on their face (lips, eyes, cheeks etc) are worse looking for it and look unnatural . It's rare that it actually improves things. I put this down to the types of people who get it done in the first place. Most don't need it. Pure misguided vanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,473 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

On the point about women getting work done: I think you'd be surprised at the number of people who git it done but get it so subtlety that you wouldn't know. A few people close to me in their late 30s and early 40s have told me they get botox. I would never have known, and still couldn't tell when they told me.

So while it might be true to say that when you can see someone has had work done from a glance passing them in the street, 95% of the time it's awful. But the issue is you don't know who has just had a small (dare I say tasteful?) bit of work done which just smoothes out some wrinkles as they appear.

• Advertisement

That's a fair point. I guess a more accurate statement would be 100% of people I meet for the first time and can tell they've had work done looks trashy. I agree that some degree of subtle work can be done tastefully.

There are also cases of people with very large noses, sticky out ears or mole removal that if you know them it's obvious, but is still an improvement after.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,879 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's like everything else - if you can see the puppet strings, the illusion is worse than the reality.

Thinking about it, I have a schoolfriend who's ears stuck out. He was a good looking guy and a sound man and nobody even slagged him about it. It was too on the nose to slag him. A few years after school he got it sorted and it was a great job. Nobody would notice unless they knew him before. Also know a woman who had a double mastectomy after breast cancer and she got herself a pair of implants that suit her. She's slight and the breasts are small to suit her. Great job.

So there are probably plenty of people like that with ears and noses like yous said. But if I see someone with obvious duck lips and cheek fillers, it's always bad. There must be a point in the consultation where they ask if the customer wants it to be a subtle enhancement or if they really want everyone to know they had work done.

I didn't say real tan it looks trashy, I said it's harmful, and it's not worth it.

Nothing controversial about yours, almost any work done including hair dye looks unnatural. Lip filler jobs never look good, not on anyone, no matter how little. Lip filler is only for OF workers.

I se what you're saying but I think how you treat other people is probably more innate than that. I think you took that from your customer service experience but you were probably inclined to do it anyway. I worked customer facing jobs as young lad too and I think some people would enjoy punching down, as they might see it, all the same if they had actually done it. "It was sh1t for me when I did it so it will be sh1t for you too", that kind of attitude.

Some people are just really awkward around being served and it comes across as rudeness. I worked in a very rural golf club and some of the rudeness was just people who weren't used to service. They would have been happier getting it for themselves than ordering through a waiter. Didn't make any small talk or eye contact or anything to make it go smoother and just sort of grunted. It was frustrating at the time but in hindsight, it was mostly awkwardness on their part.

Not to take from the occasional d1ck who you'd also meet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,931 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

When I worked in financial services, some of the nicest customers were from the less affluent areas. Most people were sound enough but there was a small minority that were arrogant, condescending and rude. They tended to be middle class people in creative-type jobs. They didn’t even try to disguise their contempt for the “squares in suits”.

Eh, you directly quoted someone who's only point was that fake tan is trashy and followed it with the words "A real tan is worse".

[img]https://i.ibb.co/V3LWD6V/fake-tan.jpg[/img]

Maybe your intention was not to say a real tan is trashy, but you did say a real tan is trashy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Yes, my intention was to say it's worse because it's harmful, which is worse than trashy. Orange fake tan won't kill you, but melanoma will.

Yes it is, as in any skin color is beautiful as it is and there is no need to change it. If you read something else between the lines then that's your problem, there was nothing there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Tanning is the body's natural defence to the harful effects of the sun.

It's purpose is not for the effect of how others might judge it in terms of whether it looks better/worse than any other skin color, which would be subjective anyway.

If Australlinas weren't of north european heritage and had better tanning ability - their skin cancer rates wouldn't be so high.

• Advertisement

We humans have very little in the way of natural defenses against the elements like sun, rain, heat, cold. That's why we wear clothes and don't expose ourselves naked to the elements. I mean, there are also other reasons, but you know what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,448 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I have zero interest in the Paralympics.

Its the sporting equivalent of following up a sun holiday (the Olympics) with a damp, miserable day upon landing back in Dublin.

Advertisement