Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself?) Any update?

1646566676870»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

@odyssey06 I had a look at the posts referenced in the first thread and actioned same.

The 2nd thread was actioned already by Beasty on 11/08. I am still going through reports to try and tidy things up a bit but have issued out warning/infractions and warnings on threads in the last few minutes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If people are worried about that then why not PM an Admin with the report?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I just saw the posts today and you had already said you'd have a look. I'm not hugely political so read very few threads in CA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,646 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Thank you for looking into that, that the warnings on threads are visible is important as I think it sets a visible standard to posters that this isn't a Wild West, and that if moderation comes their way it won't be out of the blue.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I like to keep things visible as much as possible but sometime there is content which could be damaging to a person that has to be removed as well so posters should keep that in mind too. Where this happens us mods should post on thread to say something along the lines of "Posts removed as they are out of line, stay on topic" and hopefully that would keep thing smother for the users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Sorry, I didn't check which post you quoted so my reply doesn't make sense. I thought it was the post about applying permanent site bans to hate speech.

I don't have a problem with any current mods, and I'd make no bones about it if I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Before this closes, and admin/management and hopefully owner gather somewhere to discuss the finer points raised….

…or not!

Can anything be done about notifications? My phone says I have 2 constantly, but on the laptop there's none. But when I do get a notification, there's no way to tell which one you've read as they all appear in bold, but they don't go back to normal font after you've read the notiication.

TYVM!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's 5PM and this is now being closed as was announced.

Mike is aware, and hopefully a more formal response will be forthcoming.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 149 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Odhran
    Boards.ie Employee

Thanks for everyone's feedback on this.  It is clear that there are significant frustrations and concerns regarding the site's moderation, particularly in the Current Affairs (CA) section. I have tired to summarise the key points below in order to form a reply for discussion - hope I haven’t misses anything:

Moderation Issues: Many users have expressed dissatisfaction with the perceived lack of visible and consistent moderation. There is a concern that reported posts often go unaddressed, leading to frustration and a belief that reporting is ineffective. Some users suggest that the moderation team may be overworked, indicating a need for more moderators or better distribution of responsibilities.

Subscription Model: The idea of introducing a subscription model to deter trolls has been suggested. While some users believe a small fee could help manage the site better, others worry it would drastically reduce user engagement and traffic. A middle-ground solution proposed is a voluntary subscription with additional benefits, though concerns about its practicality remain as we have this in place already today with low adoption rates.

Moderator Behavior and Transparency: Some comments around the behavior of some moderators, with some arguing that mods, as representatives of the site, should maintain a professional demeanor akin to customer service.  Mods however are unpaid volunteers and should not have to endure abuse from users. The discussion also comments on the need for greater transparency in the reporting process, with suggestions that moderators leave visible notes on actions taken to reassure users.

Support and Burnout Among Moderators: There is an acknowledgment that long-serving moderators might be experiencing burnout. Some suggestions include rotating moderators from other forums to provide support and prevent burnout, which could improve overall site management.

Site direction: Where are we going and what’s next for boards

==================================================================

Thank you all again for your feedback and the passionate discussion in this thread. We understand that there are concerns regarding moderation, user engagement, and the overall direction of the site.

As many of you know, the transition to Vanilla was driven by the need to find a sustainable solution for hosting our community. vBulletin had become too expensive to maintain, and Vanilla offered a more cost-effective platform that allows us to keep the site running. Currently, we’re operating with a very small team—essentially one person—so resources are extremely limited. Despite these limitations, we are committed to maintaining and improving the site.  We have a call with Vanilla this week to discuss contract renewal and will know more about future direction after those discussions.

Boards and other forums like ours are competing for your time and attention against giants like Meta, TikTok, Google, X, Reddit and others. It’s a challenging environment, and it’s natural that people are spending less time on traditional forums as social media platforms continue to grow. However, we believe there is still significant value in the kind of focused, in-depth discussions that a forum like Boards.ie can offer.  That is why we keep doing our best to ensure the platform continues on into the future.

In terms of moderation, we hear your concerns. Our moderators work very hard and on a volunteer basis. Without them there is no Boards. That’s an important point - and one that should not be lost in all of this.

We are taking steps to address issues raised, including exploring ways to utilise Vanilla’s platform to help with moderation - a more shared task perhaps - but a plan that we will discuss with admins and moderators to see what is feasible.

The suggestion to rotate moderators or bring in support from other areas is also being considered to prevent burnout and ensure that we have adequate coverage, particularly in busy sections like Current Affairs. But all needs to be discussed and agreed so we will be arranging a forum to raise these topics, define the situation and agree an action plan. 

Regarding the idea of a subscription model, we are open to exploring a more robust way to collect voluntary contributions (which is in place today) that might offer some additional features or benefits, but we want to be careful not to alienate our community by forcing a subscription. Our goal is to keep the site as accessible as possible while finding ways to support its sustainability. We have done well in that regard by turning Boards from loss making to almost breakeven. Given the pressures on display ad revenue over the past few years this is very positive. 

We greatly appreciate your continued support and engagement with Boards.ie. Your input is invaluable as we navigate these challenges and work to keep the community strong. Please continue to share your thoughts and suggestions— particularly around monetisation as they are crucial in helping us make the best decisions for the future of the site.

On our side we continue in the background to work on ways to do more than just keep the lights on.

Thank you for being part of the Boards.ie community.

Odhran & Mike

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement