Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,386 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So you have absolutely no credible candidate in mind but you are full sure she would have lost?

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,127 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

She's still got a pretty big support base in white dudes tho. This is interesting:

Among voters who were not primed to think about the race or sex of the candidates, Harris and Trump are tied (47 to 48). When the list of issues mentions the sex of the candidates, Harris pulls ahead, 52 to 42. And when the race of the candidates is mentioned, Harris holds a 14-point lead, 53 to 39, a 15-point shift from the baseline condition.

“When voters are thinking about race or sex, Trump’s support just plummets,” said Cassino. “All the time, we hear strategists and pundits saying that Democratic candidates shouldn’t talk about identity, but these results show that making race and sex salient to voters is bad for Trump and boosts Harris.”

The movement in the race priming condition is largely due to changes in support among non-white voters. Fifty-five percent of non-white voters in the unprimed condition say that they’ll support Harris, with 39 percent supporting Trump. But in the race primed condition, Trump’s support among non-white voters drops by 10 points to 29 percent, while Harris’s support rises by 10, from 55 to 65 percent. All told, mentioning the race of the candidates moves Harris’s lead among non-white voters from 16 points (55 to 39) to 36 points (65 to 29).

This size of the effect is supplemented by a shift away from Trump among white voters in the race primed condition. In the unprimed condition, Trump leads Harris among white voters by 11 points, 53 to 42. In the race primed condition, the two are tied, with Harris marginally ahead among white voters, 47 to 44.

https://www.fdu.edu/news/fdu-poll-finds-race-and-gender-push-harris-above-trump-nationally/

Who knows and we won’t now anyway.

Precisely why it is a meaningless counterfactual. Not sure where you believe the 'new Bill Clinton TM' is hiding out at; Kang and Kodos could have come down from Rigel VII, but they didn't, Biden stepped down on July 21st and Kamala swept the DNC with the overwhelming majority of the delegates and now she is leaping ahead in the polls. That's the reality on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This is how Biden did in the 2008 Democratic primaries:

He ultimately dropped out of the race on January 3, 2008, after coming in fifth place and capturing less than 1% of the vote in the Iowa caucus.

So the notion that a bad primary campaign means you are deeply unpopular with the electorate and wouldn't win another primary or a general election doesn't have a leg to stand on.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,929 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I am not suggesting he came to the conclusion entirely by himself, but in your previous post you seemed to suggest the democratic leadership have the power to remove him which they don't.

My point was only the president can decide that the president will not be running. There is no doubt in my mind that Jill Biden and others had a word in his ear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Shoog

It seems that the Harris is unpopular meme out of MAGA central is built on wildly shakey ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Yvonne007

That's ok.

I haven't seen anything from Kamala Harris to make me think she is a good candidate, other than "well the alternative is worse".

When Biden declared that his preference for VP would be someone of an opposite gender and/or someone of colour, it did not help her credibility and did allow, if not embolden, people to think it she was a diversity pick, a box ticking exercise if you would. She was an odd choice considering her popularity at the time and also because she had pulled up Joe in the primary debates about the "I'm not saying you are racist but you did things that made you seem racist" confrontation.

She, not too long ago, described Biden as "sharp as a tack" and "ready for the second term". Was she lying or was she unable to see what the whole world could see?

When you say she was "workmanlike", what do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Shoog

Workmanlike - got on with been the VP without bringing any heat on the administration - did here job as described on the application form.

I find it incredible that republican symapthisers can completely blank her long list of actual political and legal achievements when they attempt to diminish her. Its weak gruel.

They absolutely have the power by using the 25th Amendment. I could imagine that the VP throwing an elderly man out of power wouldn't be a good optic so they went with the "word in the ear" method. Jill, from what I have seen, is the type of person who absolutely didn't help matters.

Her infantalisation of her husband after the debate was almost as damaging as the debate itself.

It's simple.

Harris will be a perfectly fine president/

We all know Trump won't and in reality will be exponentially worse, not just for America but for the world the 2nd time around.

We know this because he keeps telling us.

• Advertisement

I haven't seen anything from Kamala Harris to make me think she is a good candidate, other than "well the alternative is worse".

Got a Degree in Economics and Political Science. Then got a Doctorate in Law. Ran for and got elected to be Attorney General of California. Re-ran and was re-elected. Ran for and got elected to the Senate. It's not like she's just a Hooters girl that Biden took a liking to.

Nope.

I agree that they like her more purely because she is a little better than biden.

They are liking her more purely out of lack of any other option. I don't think she has done anything to endear herself to people other than not being Trump or Biden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Now, Katherine Ryan won't have anything bad said about Hooters girls.

In a new reveal, Vance has concluded that anyone childless shouldn't be teaching children:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/aug/28/jd-vance-attack-childless-teachers

I have nothing but high regard for Hooters girls. But saying the only thing Harris has going for is she's not Trump is doing her a disservice.

Next it will be down to 'if you don't have children how can you expect to make happy meals for my family?'

Vance is a **** weirdo who wants 'childless' people ostracized from society.

This is Vance's "47% of Americans" problem, very much like Romney 2012 - literally, 47% of US adults under 50 are polled as saying they are not likely to ever have kids. This is coincidentally the same percent of Americans that Romney was dismissive of in comments that later leaked out of a dinner plate fundraiser with elitists via audio recording that helped tank his presidential race:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitt_Romney_2012_presidential_campaign#47%25_comment

Did anyone on Trumps team even bother to type Vances name into DuckDuckGo before nominating him?

He is absolute weirdo and I don't mean endearing eccentric.

He is a smear shít on the wall lunatic.

The buyers remorse must be savage.

Also that same Pew poll found a whopping 64% of young women do not want to have kids.

It's hard to see how this is not a problem for the pro-Gilead campaign.

That's probably why MAGA is walking on eggshells now about the abortion issues, after having previously been "proud" to end Roe.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/trump-is-spooked-about-abortion-issue-on-state-ballot-adopting-dont-ask-dont-tell-strategy-according-to-florida-reporter/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭Patser

I see DJT Media share prices are continuing to collapse, and have dropped below $20 mark.

A lot of people using those shares and indicative of Trump's elections chances - Truth Social will be effectively worthless if he loses, as as a 2 time defeated candidate you'd have to imagine his chances are gone.

There's a big dilemma for Trump coming up shortly - he'll be allowed sell his shares mid-September. If he dumps them the stock will completely collapse just prior to election, which will hurt a lot of MAGA supporters who invested, and make his business acumen look tarnished again. Doesn't sell and he loses more and more money if stocks go down more. His grift dries up.

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/djt

As for RFK, even his own wife has fallen out with him over selling out to MAGA. It's hard to see how he hasn't fractured his small voter base. Some 'boost' for Trump right.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/rfk-jr-makes-clear-wife-cheryl-hines-is-not-maga-after-trump-endorsement-reaction-was-the-opposite-of-encouraging/

I hear he's given up posting to Truth social and has gone back to Twitter, at the same time news has come out that Musk was only able to afford the buyout he got locked into with the help of none other than the Russian oligarchy.

https://regtechtimes.com/oligarch-hidden-complicated-musks-twitter-deal/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Rawr

Oh he'll sell. He's a self-interested dimwit who doesn't know how business works. I'd be shocked if he even really understands how stocks work beyond the whole idea of stock ownership eventually earning you money.

Also he needs the money, badly. Sure, the whole GOP warchest goes right into his pocket right now, but that will stop in November. Then all he'll have going will be the various branding grifts and the inevitable "Save America Legal Fund" to pay for his ever growing legal costs. He also faces Trump Org. getting gutted by New York State for tax evasion, so a couple of ill-gotten billions on the backs of his MAGA nitwits is likely something he'll want to do.

The hardcore MAGA cult will feel hard done by, but Donnie will just say that Commie Kamala stole their share value and that only he can get it back for them. They'll keep voting for him, but others may be put off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Was she lying or was she unable to see what the whole world could see?

It's called being supportive of your team mate. Christ knows how many times MAGA heads have had to agree that black is white because Trump said so.

Being supportive of your team-mate is very different to actively lying to the public which you are supposed to serve.

I have to say, being on the side of the Democrats at the moment is fascinating. They have such a strong bench that whittling that down for the next cycle will be tough! I was watching Buttigieg dismantle a Fox news host the other day, and casually throw in that most Fox viewers don't realise violent crime is down from when Trump was in charge because they don't report that. He's only 42, but he would have to be favourite to get the Presidency in the next 20 years. The man is a superb talker and not afraid to cross the aisle to discuss policies with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

'active lying' is a big claim you haven't remotely justified.

There's a world of difference between Biden being in a 25th amendment situation and one where he is ok to carry on until end of term for President but not up to the demands of another election and Presidency.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,454 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Hahahahahahaha

That is the funniest line that this thread has delivered so far. I assume you have MAJOR issues with Trump opening his mouth and delivering lie, after lie, after lie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

So, the long-time GOP types are publicly not supporting Convicted Felon Trump because they don't like him anymore? Is that it? You see, these GOP types have other options, like shutting up about CFTrump, but they're coming out and saying they won't support him.

Democrats, too, have options other than supporting Harris, yet, her popularity grows. And she's only been the candidate for a couple months, otherwise had the backoffice job of VP.

People are liking Harris more because they're learning more about her, listening to her speeches and policies. They didn't know her well before, though she was pretty popular in her home state, which for the record is the world's 5th largest economy on its own, she was their elected Attorney General, which is a BIG TIME JOB as well as Senator. Attorney General, by the way, is more than prosecutor, they run an enormous, complicated organization.

Advertisement