Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Assistant

191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nedd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭micks_address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,714 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Not a topic for this thread really, but tteck has a script for creating an LXC (application container) so that you can eliminate the VM.

https://tteck.github.io/Proxmox/

Frigate too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Raoul

Have you seen the new version of Frigate? It's crazy good. I have a Coral to offload the CPU and it's really worth it if you're going down the self-hosted NVR with AI detection route. Have a play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Raoul

What do you actually use it for the makes your life easier?

Watching two security cameras that I have had installed since 2020. Means that I only record footage for events where there is movement or a detection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭championc

Must add so to my Docker setup. I have already used MotionEye and Xeoma. Saw a Frigate video the other day, and it looked very impressive based on the other two.

I have HA as a Docker container too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Shoog

Oh and you know the funniest thing - I ended up using it to detect which dog had dropped the largest dump you have ever seen in my front garden last month. Like I mean mega - forget the spade, just bring a shovel. Owner cleaned it all up as they were mortified I had it on cam. 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭munsterfan2

I use it to detect sheep which come in to my wife's vegetables. HA sends an alert 'Help the sheep ate eating my vegetables again!!!' 😀

Brilliant! Also using the Coral? Any issues with crashes where the coral drops offline?

Yes, coral usb, its running with no issues.

Running on what system, LXC in Proxmox just a docker on a linux server? Mine is in an LXC and it crashes the Coral from time to time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Frigate + M.2 A/E Coral running under Debian here. Never any issues apart from the fact that Google haven't bothered to update the gasket kmod so I get warnings when DKMS is rebuilding the module.

Mine is USB and I think it's trashing the USB kmod as it's not seen on a reinsert after crashing from time to time. There are mentions of support issues with the USB device mapped into LXC's. Wondering if it's not being helped by the MB chipset - maybe I'll test it on another host.

But when it does work, it's brill.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Might be worth trying on a different USB port (hub) in case it is something specific to xHCI etc. lsusb will get you the USB mappings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

Have an M2 coral but haven't been able to get it working.

Not sure if it's the card or the M2 slot. The pc specs say the slot should allow passthrough and have followed the docs for that off the Coral website so think the Coral card could be a dud. I must bring it to a local pc shop to test as I don't have any other machines that can take it

If you setup another thread we can help with troubleshooting?

• Advertisement

Hi,

Running a docker container on a debian server at the moment.

Happy to test it for you if you're near Dublin.

Is yours the single or dual chip version? What machine are you using? Have you got the slot enabled in BIOS? Any references to Global Unichip Corp in lspci?

EDIT: but yeah, this probably deserves another thread at this stage.

Cheers, will pop up another thread next week when I get some free time to go at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭MickH503

I'm using a HA Yellow for about 6 months. It was hard to find a seller back then but found and ordered the Home Assistant Yellow kit and the Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 from

https://raspberrypi.dk/en/shop/category/home-assistant-en/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,450 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Would anyone know what HA myenergi entity this is that the app uses? Went through the 40 or so in HA and can't find it.

Maybe it is not available via the integration. It just gives a more frequent update on house load compared to the Solarman integration.

I think you're looking for sensor.myenergi_*_home_consumption on the Hub device.

Though I'd suggest moving to ha-solarman as it is actively maintained and uses the async version of pysolarmanv5 which allows for faster polling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,450 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Thanks Jonathan, updated the integration and updates the dashboard sensors. All looks good now.

The myenergi entity does not match the home load.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

I've been looking at creating a dashboard to display on a tablet. and mount it in the kitchen.

The Fire 10HD tablets seem to be used a lot on reddit posts but the posts tend to be US based so picking up a cheap tablet is easy enough.

Has anyone given it a go on here, what tablet did you use, how did you mount it and how did you power the tablet?

No, but I did look at the Nextion displays which work in combination with Esphome and were used by somebody on here last year.

https://esphome.io/components/display/nextion.html

Still might go down that route…

Running Fully Kiosk on a Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 here. Had previously used a previous gen Fire 8 that I got on cheap from Amazon but it was just too slow to be useful.

Whatever you decide, just make sure that it is recent enough that it supports H265. My camera live steams didn't work on the Fire 8 because the version of WebView was too old.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lostboy75

@illdoit2morrow I'm still new to a lot of this stuff, but I watched a video on YouTube by 'everything smart home' he has a vid or two on Smart home panel installation and the software (fully kiosk, as mentioned in the post above) he used, also covers the configuration. I didn't use any of it yet though tbh but I enjoyed it and it gives some good ideas, you might find it useful

• Advertisement

A major win for Home Assistant today. Water leak sensor under the kitchen sink alerted me. The outlet pipe from the dishwasher going into the main waste pipe has got loose. Only a few drops came out but enough to trigger the sensor, an aqara one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Good to hear it saved the day. I have one under my sink too.

Yeah, small leaks like that can do huge damage to cabinets before they are discovered. Gets time to soak into the boards and swell up. At least with a big leak, it's noticed quickly

Have one other leak detector in the office toilet but going to invest in a few more now. I'll probably get the new IKEA ones, a bit cheaper and quicker delivery.

Aqara stuff not cheap anymore. Think I gave €7 each for those two sensors, around 12 now. IKEA one 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I have a second Aqara one I haven't done anything with. Was going to use it for a bed presence sensor, but decided I'll go the ESP32 route for that (at some point). Next time I'm in the attic I'll drop it under the tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭DC999

Wow, I didn't even know such a thing existed. Tbh that's much better than the likes of changing the hue of a lightbulb. Up to this point I personally never had a genuine purpose for HA

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jackod20

Hello folks, just wondering has anyone gotten realtime information on public transport in Ireland working, been using GTFS2 integration but routes arent appearing and those that do, no realtime information, I have my API key but having no luck so far, TIA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Highly impressed with myself today! I installed a Shelly 1PM Mini on one of my light switches. I have a new build (2021), and I had assumed (because I only looked behind one or two light switches) that I had no neutral in my lighting circuits. The ones I looked at didn't have a neutral wire. Anyway, I was going to put the Shelly at the light fixture, but I discovered that my switches do have a neutral wire. Delighted!

But it wasn't that simple. It was a two-gang, two-way switch, so there were a lot of brown wires. 🙂 I consulted Google Bard, uploading the Shelly instruction manual and describing what I had and what I wanted to do. To be fair, it did a bang-up job and explained it to me in very simple terms. (I am using Google AI Studio.) I also, obviously, looked at the Shelly install videos, and between the two sources, it worked out first time—no sparks!

Now I can switch the lights on and off from the wall switch, but I can also switch them using Home Assistant and run some automations. Also, no moaning from the family since they can physically use the switch.

The next project is to automate my garage door, but that is going to be a bit more complicated as I have to use a Shelly 2PM Also, I must order a load more Shelly Minis. I am lucky in a way, as my light switch boxes have a good bit of room because the builders used plasterboard on top of the block walls, so they stand out and extra 20-30mm, giving enough room for a mini.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

I am lucky in a way, as my light switch boxes have a good bit of room because the builders used plasterboard on top of the block walls, so they stand out and extra 20-30mm, giving enough room for a mini.

Yes, I was going to say that. Mine are all in block and are typically as tight as the proverbial duck. I went for IKEA Tradfri bulbs on some circuits as there was no chance of hitching a controller into some.

Are you using the dimming function with LED lights? How smooth is that working out for you and what brand of bulbs?

Oh, and as a programmer have you investigated Node-Red?

Post edited by 10-10-20 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

@10-10-20 Its not a dimmer switch just a regular on off replay with power monitoring dont really need the PM but it was only 3 euro more so why not. I have it set up on my stairs landing lights and they are just GU10 LEDs.

On other lights I just use Philips HUE lights as they are Zigbee and help with my Zigbee network but I have to tape down the swiches where I have them because I cant trust the missus not to switch them off

Shelly 1PM Mini Gen3 - All products - Shop - Shelly

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Advertisement