Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭50HX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

My young lad gets the fade and a perm on the top lol. Actually looks well but christ id never tell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,400 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Barber = cash business, easy to evade tax. My local barber has been known locally as a 'millionaire' for 30 years or more, big expensive house and a new Mercedes-Benz every 2 years.

It's a small 1-man shop.

Not your ornery onager

Dropped into a barbers there about 2months ago...2 lads working & nobody in there

I got asked did I have a booking, I said no, sorry he says we've a booking in 10mins, I said I just need a blade 2 all over

Come back in an hour

I laughed & said lads ye can keep it.

Handiest 16e they missed out on

Wife usually shears me at home anyway but was on shift work.

You'd wonder about some people's mentality on making a few quid.

Just goes to show there is plenty of disposable income around if they were willing to turn me away

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I saw this and thought of the chat on here about govt spending

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,873 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I haven't been to a barbers in 30 years. Remington hair trimmers here. No 2 all round. Wouldn't have the patience to wait at a barbers.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jb1989

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,400 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Youngest was asked in play school what he wanted to be when he grew up - he said a marine biologist. When he was in 4th or 5th class in national school the teacher asked the same question - he said a marine biologist and she said what if you can't be a marine biologist what would you do then, he said I'd be an undertaker cause you'd never run out of clients. A true story recounted to me by the national school teacher at a small celebration for him after he got his first class honours degree in Marine Science from NUIG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,733 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Driving lessons would be another one that you'd get a good bit of cash.

• Advertisement

My dad was telling us about a milk delivery man who was convinced the revenue were following him. He went over to the man in the car and asked him. He said his job that week was to sit across from the barbers and count the number of customers....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

You wouldn't even need to be dodging tax or washing cash at 45 euro an hour. Girlfriend doing lessons at the moment and her instructor is on the road 7am to 9pm 6 days a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Was at a concert in Dublin yesterday and driving through Phibsboro at 11.45pm. Turkish Barbers open at that time, no customers to be seen and two lads drinking from a giant bottle of booze on the pavement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭Odelay

I think a lot of them live on the premises rather than rent a house or flat. Wouldn't be a lot different to the country they came from in terms of living standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Turkish lads give a good burn to the hair in your ears. Smells like long ago when we killed a pig and blowtorched the hair on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Turkish barbers in enniscorthy there's no turkish barbers in it. All irish barbers working there. Originally it was set up by a turkish barber and he started the quality mens cuts with the blowtorched ears and cut eyebrows and whatnot. They still have the appointments preferred but will take walk ins if there's room.

There's more barbers after opening in the town. The population of people is larger than it used to be even a few years ago now. Gorey at this stage is Dublin.

Livestock kills by wolves on one day on one farm in France.

Spot on, friend of my dad's was barber, rough enough set up but same story, revenue guy sat in the car for the guts of 3 days in the town counting customers

Apparently they average out the customers & average price & see how comparable that is then to your tax returns....that was late eighties early 90's

Harold Lawlor was a name that was recognisable every year at Tullamore show in the flower and produce tent. Nice to see a cup named after him in the Moate show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I see a ladies hairdressers in my local town paid the revenue 80k in settlement last year. A lot was penalties and interest.

• Advertisement

I don't know how some of the ladies can afford all the beauty treatments. Colour, cut and blow dry around 100 euro, nails, eyes, make up etc. Neighbour does my hair twice a year 35 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,659 ✭✭✭roosterman71

These are the ones complaining about the bag of carrots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I got a bit of a reality check earlier in the week, OH was meeting friends in town and I thought I'd take advantage of the lift to meet a friend for a few pints, we hadn't met since christmas so I texted him, I couldn't make any sense out of the reply so asked again, Eventually after 4 or 5 messages his wife texted me telling me his mind was deteriorating very fast, he's 4 years younger than me. Couldn't believe it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭Odelay

the worst is when the mind deteriorates, but the body is healthy.

No water this morning, checked the normal stuff. Plumber just gone there now. A bug on the contact of the pressure switch. At least it was an easy fix

It's nicknamed 'the living death' for good reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭148multi

Had a relation, only daughter her mother got Alzheimer's. It used to gut her to visit and she'd feel guilty if she didn't, always said she wanted to go quick and she got her wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

I had a pump issue a few weeks ago and ended up with a new pump after all the above ground stuff was eliminated.

My friends mother in law is out of it also this few years now due to alzheimers as well and very abusive towards her daughter.

Some families have more than their share of troubles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭kk.man

There is a mild and aggressive form of it.

Very common now in comparison to years ago. I wounder is it something we are eating.

Advertisement