Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland General Discussion Thread 2024 [use match threads for games]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

the Georgian keeper moving to Liverpool next season.

ain’t no one bidding 25 million for kelleher so he’s there till next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Mamardashvilli deal completed by Liverpool. I wonder will Kelleher move next year or just back up the new keeper.

he’ll move next summer. Wants to move now but he’s in limbo as the asking price is too high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭The Rooster

O’Mahony on as sub for debutant Matt O’Riley after 9 mins. O’Riley suffered an unfortunate ankle injury after what looked like an awful challenge by a Crawley player.

He had a long enough summer to look for/negotiate a move.

I’m sorry but I keep reading this trash. Kelleher done media interviews saying he wanted to move. Liverpool are happy to move him on in exchange for 25 million.

Of course no one is going to bid that for an inexperienced unproven keeper

what do you suggest he should have done this summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Xander10

Liverpool should do the decent thing and drop the asking price for Kelleher. Or they will on up getting nothing for him.

Is it correct he is on a pretty low wage, football wise?

why would Liverpool drop the asking price for a player they don’t want to sell? If they sell kelleher they will need to buy or loan a replacement or trust a novice like Jaros.

they’ll get money next summer. Probably around 10 million. His contract runs out in 2026.

as a good will gesture, given his loyalty to date and age now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Moran with a hattrick of assists during Stoke's 5-0 win at Boro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

O'Mahony scores

O'Mahony on the score sheet for Brighton. Doesn't look like Evan is getting any game time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭henke

No Evan in a game like tonight will do nothing to quash the loan rumours ie. not cup-tied.

No Cannon tonight so presume he will on the move to the Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Kelleher needs get his ass out of Liverpool and actually try want be a first choice keeper.

When you hear ex players talk about current crop just happy to play along, Kelleher is the top of the tree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

O'Mahony is meant to be joining Portsmouth this week on loan. Will be interesting to see whether he gets a call up on Thursday given he hasn't played in months.

he has no possibility to leave this summer. No one is paying 25 million for that CV. A lot of Irish fans can’t seem to grasp this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭NITRO95

You seem to be of the belief that there is absolutely nothing Kelleher can do to change his situation. That's bollox, if he had any ambition and wanted out he'd force the issue. We see it all the time with players that want to leave a club. The truth seems to be he's happy to sit on his hole and be a cup keeper and staying at Liverpool after they've lined up Alissons replacement proves that. He'll always be a #2

I have the belief that a lot of fans don’t understand how football contracts work or how the transfer system work. That is the upshot of all this.

There is no buyer, do some fans not realise the important of this? There is no clubs making a bid for kelleher. Yet some fans expect him to force a move. If there was a bidder, kelleher could submit a transfer request. Now, I think Liverpool would just reject the transfer request but submitting an official transfer request where there is no buyer is practically unheard of.

A lot of lads just don’t understand the transfer market.

• Advertisement

So you believe there's no club out there that would like to have Kelleher? Or do you believe his agent is utterly incompetent? Because if his agent was any way competent he/she would have a number of clubs identified and be aware of what the personal terms they'd offer Kelleher are if he had any ambitions to leave.

I refuse to believe there's no clubs that wouldn't like Kelleher to at least compete for their number 1 position. So it's either a total lack of ambition on his end and accepting being a #2 for his entire career or he's employing the worst agent in world football.

has any club made a bid for Kelleher this summer?

Whether a club made a bid or not doesn't dispute anything I said. Clubs won't bid for players that are happy to sit on the bench and have zero ambitions

it changes every thing. You expect a player to be able to move with no one making a bid?

are these quotes from earlier this summer from Kelleher or an imposter pretending to be him

The problem is fans who don’t understand how the transfer system work

I understand the transfer system perfectly well thanks very much. Kelleher is absolutely delusional if he believes he's gonna be challenging to be #1 at Liverpool. They've signed Alissons replacement a year in advance. He's not gonna be competing for #1 no matter what he says.

I would expect a players representatives to be aware of what clubs have an interest in him. No clubs just make blind bids for players now. 95% of transfers are done before they ever become public knowledge. Kelleher is either happy being #2 and playing less than10 games a season or he's got some awful representatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭TokTik

He’s never even pushed for a loan deal in all of his time at Liverpool. He seems happy to do nothing.

• Advertisement

true, no loan deal and no release clause and signed too long of contracts. That was his mistakes, that all happened in summer’s pasts. This summer, he had made his bed. He had to lie in it

god where do I start. Please read this post slowly and carefully

• kelleher explicitly says “I’m not silly, Ali is the best keeper in the world” so where are you getting that he is delusional if he thinks he will be Liverpool no. 1. Where are you getting that?
    • You don’t know how the transfer system works. What would have happened during the summer more than likely is clubs would have “made enquires” about kelleher. They would have been told that 25 or 30 million is the price and probably given a deadline to make the bid. Clubs would value Kelleher at between 12-15 million. Clubs would have clearly seen that the gap is too wide between the valuations and “moved onto other targets”. The “deal” never got over the first hurdle.
    • You seem to have completely ignored the quotes in the article which is basically a come and get me plea to anyone and everyone.

it’s absolutely nothing to do with Kelleher’s agents. Kelleher has 2 years on his contract. His reps come into play if a bid is made that is close to liverpools valuation. That never came close to happening.

I knew from day 1 of the summer transfer window that barring some kind of loan deal with a obligation to buy at a price no club could stomach or barring a highly unlikely move to the Saudi league that Kelleher was locked in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I can't recall the last time I've heard of a player lodging a lb official transfer request. There are usually big penalties in their contracts to prevent that happening, so it generally doesn't happen. Much better for them to agitate for a love in different ways.

I know, I was going to highlight this but I knew I would get a “hE hAs No AmBiTiOn” volley in return.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Ogbene to Ipswich confirmed. Good Irish interest there this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Think the Mamardashvili aspect is perhaps being overstated. He's a talented young player that was available at a surprisingly low fee, and was snapped up and loaned back out - potentially long term - as his value grows. As Richard Huges said at the start of the window, "we'll be opportunistic in the market".

I'm not sure that move really impacts Kelleher's situation - most likely outcome is probably that Alisson signs a new deal (he's already talked of wanting to stay on), Kelleher moves on in a year and is replaced on the bench by Jaros, and that Mamardashvili either stays playing out on loan or is sold for a profit without making a Liverpool appearance while remaining a nice back-pocket option in the meantime just in case.

I agree Kelleher should leave sooner rather than later, but it's also overstretching it to say he has no ambition. The reality is he played 26 games for one of the top teams in Europe last season, won a second cup as the main man, and is playing behind a guy who has a tendency to miss more games than usual for a keeper. I don't think he'll ever be number 1 at Liverpool, but he's in a position where he's also much more than a typical bench warmer, being entirely trusted and relied upon to step in for long stretches.

At 25, and being a keeper, he's got a decade of playing ahead of him. Think we can calm down a bit. This first move is the most important one he'll ever make. It's notoriously hard to move up the levels as a keeper since most teams only start 1, so the opportunities are few and far between. He's in a better position to move to the highest level he can get from Liverpool than he would be if embedded as a starter in a worse job. It may be that the options right now simply are not great - the only Prem teams looking for starting keepers were Ipswich and Southampton - and that by waiting a year a space opens up at a better club that he can step into.

It sounds to me like Liverpool have tied Kelleher up and are holding him hostage against his ferocious will to leave. Thats apparently how the transfer market works.

And three important players for us too in Szmodics, Ogbene, and O'Shea. Hopefully Harness and Taylor continue to pick up minutes.

But for Broadheads hamstring I'd say Harness would have already moved on tbh. Taylor is 5th in line for the 2 DM spots so will be tight to see if he moves on or not.

it’s closer to the truth than what those that seem to think his “lack of ambition” is to blame for him not moving.

He is being held hostage: 25 million is the ransom and no one’s paying that for that CV.

Edit - him and his agents historic lack of contract nous (no release clause & too long of contract & no loans) are to blame. But once it got to this summer, he couldn’t get away unless he was spending 10 million himself to supplement any club willing to meet the 15 million the market would value him at

I see Todd Cantwell has handed in a transfer request at Rangers to force through his move to Blackburn as he wants to leave Rangers.

How is that possible players are hostages?

so now he gets to leave? Walks out the door and into whatever club that wants him?

Yes Kelleher should definitely hand in a transfer request seeing as he can just leave if he does that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

To be honest I don't think that's too bad a price. It's the price of a good premier league starting goalkeeper, and I think his long stint in goal last season (as well as his two winning cup runs) cemented him as a premier league quality starting goalkeeper. The only issue is that not one team that was in the Premier League last season was in the market for a goalkeeper this summer. Southampton need someone with Bazunu injured, and Ipswich bought a poor enough one on the cheap. So his options would be championship or abroad. In that context, probably better off waiting for one of the better PL teams to need someone.

Be great if Taylor could nudge into first team. We need few CM at PL level. Smallbone starting for Southampton is encouraging too.

I think it’s an extremely high price for a goalkeeper with 14? League starts

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Luke McNally starting for Burnley against Wolves in the cup. O'Shea and Ogbene starting for Ipswich. Manning on the bench for Southampton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Ramsdale gone to Southampton so that spells trouble for Bazunu when he's fit again. I guess that'll be 2025 anyway but he'll be back up keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Ramsdale to Southampton not good news for Bazunu

Southampton signing Ramsdale for £25M is bad news for Bazunu.

Joe Hodge has joined Huddersfield on loan for the season while Mark O'Mahony joins Portsmouth on loan for the season.

19yr old Joe O'Brien Whitmarsh and 18yr old Romeo Akachuckwu on the bench too for Southampton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

Can't really blame Southampton. They would definitely go down with McCarthy as number 1 for this season.

If Ramsdale has a good season and they stay up he stays as number 1.

If Ramsdale has a good season and they go down he is likely sold to another Premier League team and Bazunu is starter in the championship next season.

Advertisement