Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭acequion

One of the problems of getting frequent escapes is the difficulty of trying to readapt to the crap here when the contrast between our summer and a good summer is night and day.I got three escapes during the three summer months and each time I came home I found it very hard.I'm home almost a week since my recent trip,the weather here has been pretty dismal almost every day since so I'm really struggling. If I was here the whole time maybe I'd adapt, you don't miss what you've never had and all that, who knows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,194 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Sunday looks dodge for some

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Yeah a new feature developing, a bit windy on W, SW coasts from the GFS but not ECM, bands of rain and possibly thundery from the ECM but not as wet from GFS. Messy slow moving looking at the moment but a bit to go yet, hard to forecast those bands of rain. Both ECM and GFS showing getting into the high teens or 20C or so . A bit of a let down eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Gerrys clicker wouldn't work tonight after the 9oc news, so no charts all, with a smile on his face, quick summary and credits rolled. Dry Friday and Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭esposito

Scarlet for Gerry. He did his best given the circumstances 😬

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A lovely warm day reached 29c earlier now it's raining with plenty of lightning

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

First night in Spain and instant strobe lightning and monsoon style rain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭JVince

Earlier today I was looking at the 10 day charts and it was looking great for next week and a long awaited golf trip to the west

Just had a look again and it's the total opposite 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Dazler97

You in malaga? Ye I'm tracking the storms myself from Ireland

Yep in Malaga and so many lightning strikes, I'm not even 12 hours outside Ireland and quite a bit of rain here tonight but watching the lightning is great and it's still 26c

• Advertisement

Try get a video if you can , I love thunderstorms abroad there more intense 😬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 Edgardo.

Supposed to hit Madrid at 4am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Look what happened next week's high pressure!

Unbelievable really if this verifies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The UKMO is a bit more hopeful so there's still a chance…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Lovely morning in Dublin…t

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Thunder87

I didn't see it last night but have often wondered why they do those broadcasts live, surely they could pre-record them an hour before? It seems generally better these days but Siobhan Ryan always used to be a nervous wreck and Joanna often trips over her words, don't see why they couldn't just do a few takes to take the pressure off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭yagan

Comparison is the theft of joy they say.

After some morning showers yesterday it was got very pleasant in Cork harbour.

Sun is out now, temps are pleasant again. Nice day for the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Nice morning out there, Sun has appeared. Looks like being a nice day. 15c, N.Kildare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Met Eireann "Dry"

Galway City "Wet"

Ahhhhhh why do they bother having the hourly forecast if they're just plain wrong. So frequently. This used not happen, why is it so shocking this summer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,194 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Trending unsettled unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭JVince

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

looks quite bad in northern Spain for those on hols there, a lot of cloud heading for the costa in the south too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,137 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ah sure the whole thing is screwed not just Gerrys clicker. Since the quick onset of La Nina very unpredictable and wet patterns have emerged. I'd expect few warm settled spells this side of Xmas. Maybe a few warmer than average days.

Already lashed rain here again today. Up to 176mm for August now. So only tomorrow and Saturday can possibly be dry before the rain returns on Sunday. Even if the High comes a bit more forward there'll be a NW wind here anyways so thatl be cold windy and light showers which is boring and useless too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What a difference a month makes. August has really bucked the dry trend for this summer in Galway. Stats from Mace Head on the west coast of Galway with average in brackets.

May = 51mm (81)

June = 46mm (82)

July = 48mm (84)

August = 139mm (117)

The dry weather was lovely when it lasted and May was the warmest on record. It's so important to make the most of dry weather in Ireland.

The water levels in the Clare river show the increased rainfall in August. From 95th percentile to almost 10th percentile.

Realtime waterlevel

That said, it's still a very dry summer in the East. Dublin Airport has the following readings for last 4 months ⇒ 36, 30, 37, 36. This is exactly the same rainfall that Mace Head has received in August already (139mm).

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Nice day, always know when it's half decent when my bed/flat sheets are dry within a couple of hours.

Hopefully we get a half decent weekend. Might be a short 3 day "event" by the looks of it now unfortunately.

Currently 17c, N Kildare, Blustery, but no chill in the wind, making it feel more than acceptable

Feeling very chilly in the morning here in carrick temperatures down to 3c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭compsys

Yes. It must be very very tough going away on frequent summer holidays…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭glightning

The UKMO had a good video on Youtube discussing the various scenarios for next week. They put a 10% chance of that chart you just showed verifying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭glightning

The flip side is that you have something to look forward to when you get back (going away again) whereas if you didn't get away at all there is nothing to look forward to. I personally try to get away three times per year. Our next one is Tenerife in Oct, which is still a while away!

Advertisement