Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta ‘24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,642 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

YESSSS¬!!!!!! DUNBAR!!!!

Slingshot over the group and stole it from the breakaway.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

YES EDDIE!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,811 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yes, yes, yes. Delighted for Eddie. I thought his chances were gone when there was a big bunch like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭LeoD

Wow - that was impressive. Delighted for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

I did not see that ending coming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Absolutely magic from Eddie!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

So many times I thought it was gone from him today - just perfect timing and execution!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Well that has brightened my day considerably. Fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭LeoD

Dropped in and out over the stage via the live updates, only tuned in on the phone for the last 15k on silent. When I saw the overhead of the rider slingshotting out of the break I never realised it was Eddie until we saw the close up - unbelievable timing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,813 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Fuk sake. I saw the 3 riders go away on the final climb and when I saw Zanna in it decided to continue my cycle home.

Fantastic stuff. Don't know how he made it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Can someone explain to my neighbours why I've been shouting at the laptop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,642 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Seen on PCS… Irish wins at the Vuelta:

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,816 ✭✭✭✭dahat

That’s a new contract type of won for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Charlie69

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭G1032

Magic win. I didn't think he had it in him tbh. Delighted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I found myself getting nervous again re-watching that 🤣

Valverde looked around and decided not to chase because it wasn't one of his teammates on the attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Delighted for Eddie after all the setbacks

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

Okay, I take everything back, that was a BRILLIANT win from Eddie; didn't think the finish suited him but timed it perfectly. Izzaguirre was gonna counter up the barrier but Verona blocked him, Narvaez was being watched and Eddie flew away up the right hand side instead. Really delighted for him. Plus he might have to buy Brandon McNulty a pint some day- not sure why he single-handedly brought back the boys out front in the final kms, but hey that's racing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,811 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Have to say it's the most exciting grand tour in a long time. There's so many that could win it. I like Mas, he looks very strong and I'd love for him to win it too after three second place finishes.

Roglic is the favourite but I'm not sure he has it on the long uphill stages anymore. Today was his type of stage but he couldn't shake off Mas.

I'm not sure about O'Connor but he's still got a nice lead.

There's Carapaz, Landa and you couldn't rule out Rodriguez either. Yates is two minutes back from Roglic but he's capable of exploding on a stage and making up a lot of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

first professional road win for Eddie. His other wins have been GC and this years national TT.

You could see what it meant for him too

He’s the 10th Irish man to win a GT stage

https://statsthatarepointless.wordpress.com/2014/05/25/irish-stage-wins-cycling-grand-tours/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,852 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Orla and the lads in the studio of Eurosport had a lovely chat about Eddie after the 8pm highlights. Spoke very highly of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The current top 10. I'd say the same, any of the top 6 + Yates could conceivably win it. Although have to keep in mind there is a final day 25k TT, Roglic will put a minute into most/all of the top 10 on that stage, so the other would need to break him on one of the mountain stages.

In my head it doesn't feel like Bennett and Martin had an overlap.

Our success has essentially been 2 blocks of riders with Healy hopefully being the start of the 3rd. Elliott's success just looks more and more incredible as the years go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I'd love to see O'Connor hold on for the GC win. Would be great to see a small team achieve that level of success after the influx of big money spread around a few teams in recent years and the trend of build squads of super doms. I think O'Connor is a decent skin who has probably taken a lot of flak for how the Netflix production team decided to portray him in the last couple of seasons. I've seen enough to think he's not a bad egg. A French team too. Personally I think it would be great to see.

Also delighted for Dunbar. Whatever else he achieves he has that GC stage win forever, and won in style too. He's more than paid his dues in the peloton over the years… fully deserved. Might be the catalyst for him to find another gear.

I love AG2R but I just can't warm to O'Connor. Possibly because he keeps fuking things up for AG2R and I really hope they pivot away from him once he fails to win this Vuelta from such a good position.

I'm selfishly hoping a Spanish rider wins it so I can join the party in Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Made the mistake of just glancing at facebook on the way home to watch the highlights and a big StickyBottle spoiler hit me in the face!!!

Still. Was an absolutely fantastic moment for Eddie and us all. Absolutely amazing. If he does nothing else, that can never be taken away from him. Grand Tour stage winner. Awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

hoping for a top ten finish on GC from Dunbar!

• Advertisement

I think he will definitely go for another stage which could easily result in a top 10. Problem is there are a whole bunch of riders around him for whom that applies to.

Advertisement