Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M28 - Cork to Ringaskiddy [advance works ongoing; 2025 start; 2028 completion]

1282930313234»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭prunudo

Little update from Coffey's

https://www.facebook.com/share/BbJQE2Ss3atUwQBr/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

August update from Dronehawk :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4E-ben9rYA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

Interesting that such extensive earthworks have been done in the advance works contract. Is that normal? It was clear from earlier videos that the embankment at the quarry was being done, but this latest video shows a huge embankment just south of the proposed Carr’s Hill interchange too.

I was wondering was that extent of works normal alright. I wonder is this to prevent the contractor who actually gets the tender, from going back looking for extras?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Shows again that describing this as “pre-construction” and arguing that it’s not the same as actual construction is really just academic. The scheme is to all intents and purposes under construction already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

That doesn't make sense. If they just prescribed these works in the main contract, as they have done in the enabling works, it wouldn't then be an extra anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Nah I'd say its just getting as much work done on the "easier" pre-contracts rather than the main tender.

I cannot see the logic at all so if it is case of getting a section of land ready for road construction.

What is the point in the approach can anyone please point out, if it is not to prevent unexpected costs by the company that wins the tender ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Maybe TII are just eager to get pretty much anything built in this country at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭highwaymaniac

In the case of the M28 there is a fairly significant balance of fill material required to be imported. Sourcing and hauling that volume of material takes time and I suspect the council are getting it for free if not being paid to take it as they are a lot of sites around the city hinterland with surplus material to dispose of. It has to be a significant time saving on the overall main Contract programme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

Does it not aid significantly in terms of program too? As in we know where is going, we know the holes to be filled and the land to be excavated, we'll get it 50% of the way there while you're finishing the details and by the time you've them finished and the tender awarded you can roll straight into taking it from 50% to 100% and add the more delicate touchs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

My sister lives in Mount Ovel and is worried about the impact of these roadworks on getting to work. Would anyone know how it will affect traffic at busy times? For example, 9.00 and 5.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭highwaymaniac

Yes absolutely, that's the key point saving time whilst the tendering and funding approval process is trundling along slowly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Very early days to be making predictions, but given the extent of the works, the likely impact that construction will have on a number of key commuter routes in the area, the fact that a number of these routes are currently operating at or over capacity at the times you mention and the failure of the Council to undertake and complete the long planned improvements on Clarke Hill & Coach Hill and their junctions with the Rochestown Road in a timely manner some disruption is inevitable. Key pressure points will be invasive works such as the demolition and reconstruction of Maryborough Hill overbridge (which will impact not just Maryborough Hill but the displaced traffic will further overload other routes/junctions in the area), the online works between the N40 and Carrs Hill and work in the Shannon Park area.

As against this, good communications, good sequencing of the various closures and openings and clever temporary routing could make a huge difference, as we saw during the works in Dunkettle where traffic continued to flow through the construction site throughout. I know it wasn’t perfect, but in the overall scheme of things the DKI project team did a very good job.

Unfortunately, to date, those responsible for the M28 project over the last decade would score a 1/10 for their communication skills. We live in hope that this will improve drastically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41463547.html

Just goes to prove what happens when the Minister for Transport despises roads.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-41464471.html

Fianna Fail TD for East Cork (who is a member of the Oireachtas Transport Committee) correctly diagnoses the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭prunudo

Not withstanding the fact that these projects should be funded, is it not just a case of pre budget games, where various department heads court the media so they make sure they get their cut of the pie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭cjpm

Except for the fact that the Minister for Transport wants roads to get less of the pie than what they are entitled to. Not more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Is this going to be built to motorway standard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Predominantly yes. The section from Rochestown to the proposed Barnahely roundabout will be motorway. The remaining section from the proposed Barnahely roundabout to Loughbeg and then on to the proposed port entrance and HGV service area will be single carriageway protected road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

They quote a lack of space bring the reason for the end of the scheme being single carriageway. Looking on overhead maps, I don’t see where the lack of space is at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Would the single carriageway section still be M28, or N28?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭joeymcg

N28 but will be under Protected Road classification from the end of the M28 to the Port.

Safe from development then

There'll have to be some elements of N28 northbound between the Rochestown junction and the N40 itself. Only a short bit, but I doubt that'll be under motorway restrictions as the destination, the N40, isn't motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The M8 technically begins 400m north of the old Dunkettle Interchange roundabout. It’s obviously not signposted that way though.

I’d expect the same for the M28.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Here’s the final design. I’ve stitched together a couple of sheets and marked out where the N28 scheme begins (this is not necessarily where the N28 road itself nominally begins!).

If you follow the various side-roads, you’ll see that it’s only at 800 m that the road is free of local access traffic. That’s the point where you’ll see the first M28 confirmation signs and the start-of-motorway/end-of-motorway signage. I’ve coloured that blue.

But, you won’t see any mention of “N28” in the non-motorway part of this road, because drivers on that section either want another route (nortbound traffic) or the motorway/local access (southbound). From a driver’s point of view, the motorway “interchange” starts/ends at the +0.8 km point I’ve marked, and the signage will reflect that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

I wonder if it will be at Carr's Hill where the M28 signs end? Otherwise, traffic coming from Maryborough Hill and Carrigaline Road will only be able to go onto a motorway. City Centre/N40 bound traffic from Maryborough Hill that can't use motorways (such as learners) won't be able to use the road to get to the N40 like they would now.

Same with City Centre/Mahon/N40 bound traffic coming from the Rochestown Road who previously would have used Bloomfield

Yeah, from that it looks like motorway restrictions will only begin 800m southbound and that seems to be the Irish way of doing things (look at Dunkettle). Openstreetmap seems to be the authority on what is a motorway and what isn't (based on a road being inescapable, or that every road inexcorably leading to a motorway being a motorway) so I reckon they'll have a field day with the M28 and the knot of slip roads floating around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Don’t get hung up on trying to assign a route number to every link road in an interchange: it just doesn’t work like that. Unlike UK practice, the Irish road-numbering system prohibits one stretch of road from carrying two different route numbers. From that, you can reason out that in an interchange with shared links, the shared link roads cannot belong to any route.

OpenSteetMap is not in any way “authoritative” - its route-colouring algorithm just colours links red if they can lead only to a motorway, but those slip roads are actually not under motorway restrictions. The “start-of-motorway” sign is placed at the point where motorway restrictions begin - before that point, you are not on a motorway.

Advertisement