Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why aren't areas like Beaumont and Walkinstown more popular.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

5k a year!! In 1973 TDs got a pay rise from £2,500 to £3,126. people who bought house then earned above the average. People on average or below got council houses. Married public servants were well paid at the time in most cases. That is not the case now. You can't go back to the planned economy of the 1970s to fix the problems of today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

That's not quite true I know a fair amount who had very were considered ordinary jobs in the 70s/80s and got mortgages post men/plumbers and the like.

Granted there were not in places like stillorgan.

The councils often developed plots and sold them to skilled construction workers who built their own house.

There were a few housing associations who built and developed housing estates as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

It seems I was wrong on that.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-hes/hes2015/aiw/

However, that was a throw-away remark on my part. The cost of housing was lower compared to the real value of money. Earlier in the thread I gave an example of a Stillorgan house selling for 11k in 1973. The value of 11k adjusted for inflation is nowhere near the price of the house in 2024 (11k in 1973 would be about 150k today whereas the house in question sold for 800k).

But that came at the cost of excluding a lot of people on one side heavley unionised jobs, skilled trades, civil servants, jobs in banks, teachers people entered the civil service and Banks at 18 started apprenticeship in there teens. That system excluded an afwel lot of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

People always forget - or ignore - that interest rates in the good old days were multiples of what they are now.

For example, borrowing 100,000 over 20 years at 12% is a total cost of 264,000. For most of the 70s and 80s, this was pretty standard. Borrowing 200,000 over 20 years at 4% - standard enough rate for the last 20 years - is a total cost of 290,000.

So even though the "price" of the house has gone up 100%, the increase in actual cost is only 10%.

And with wages so low and taxes so high, the cost of servicing a loan back in the day was massive relative to family incomes.

Price is a very simple thing, affordability is a lot more complicated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

You should throwq away your remarks.
    Some things are cheaper than years ago, some things more expensive. There is an economic cycle which has been running since the middle ages. Some people may have been able to buy a house in 1973 but a lot of people couldn't. there were lengthy ques for council house and people in tenements waiting for them. Even if people had a house they could only afford a black and white tv set. Nowadays colour television sets fall out of the conrnflakes boxes! That was then, this is now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭csirl

Familiar with both areas. Beaumont would not be considered a "working class' area. Has always been very settle/middle class, even as far back as the 80s. Would be a couple of notches up from Walkinstown on any socio-ecomonic scale.

I started this just trying to understand the mind set of getting into a bidding war for somewhere when 3 or 4km up the road there are a amount of perfectly fine if somewhat ordinary houses for sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭downtheroad

To anyone saying their grandfather bought a house for a 5 figure sum back in the 70s...would you genuinely trade places? Bearing in mind the house would have no insulation, horrible decor and furnishings, no en suites, no electric shower, no Internet, no wide screen tv with 100s of channels, no coffee machine, no central heating, no avocado and poached eggs 😀

You wouldn't last the weekend.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Most people who bought a house like that in the 70s wouldn't last a weekend in it now either.

• Advertisement

That may all be true, but my whole point was that housing has become far more expensive in recent decades. None of what you said negates the fact that houses have increased in value far beyond the rate of inflation.

I wouldn't argue with that. Again, I'm not saying that the past was wonderful, but I am making the observation that housing was more accessible to those on middling income compared to today. My own parents bought a house in 1988 in Dublin 3 when they were in their mid-20s and on very basic wages. That would be impossible for the same type of people today.

To put it another way, the problems of the past do not negate the problems of the present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

I wouldn't argue with that. Again, I'm not saying that the past was wonderful, but I am making the observation that housing was more accessible to those on middling income compared to today. My own parents bought a house in 1988 in Dublin 3 when they were in their mid-20s and on very basic wages. That would be impossible for the same type of people today.

To put it another way, the problems of the past do not negate the problems of the present.

I don't know about that, things I didn't have them, a dishwasher, a tumble dryer, central heating was a back boiler which was a bit hit and miss but great for hot water, shower was a plastic thing attached to the bath tap. I could live without avocados.

We'd be grand.

Post edited by mariaalice on

Here's a few for starters:

Proximity to public transport

School catchment areas & proximity to schools

Settled area vs high number of renters, private housing vs local authority vs ex-local authority

Anti-social behaviour & crime

Green spaces, sports clubs, amenities for kids, local services, shops

The actual bricks and mortar of the house is only part of the question. You can renovate and extend a house, but all the above are out of your control once you buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Property prices never follow inflation and areas desirability changes with time. Stillorgan is now and expensive place to buy in and out of the reach for lower incomes. That is just the cost of progress and increased population. The answer is simple that people buy where they can afford and not expect to get what people could get in the past.

Workman's cottages in desirable areas go for a fortune but when they were built they were lowly housing that were cheap. Back in the 70s/80s there were tons of derelict housing left to rot. That includes housing that is worth a couple of million now. There is certainly a sense of entitlement and greed from many people that make statement like you. Tell them a landlord bought one bought a property in the 80s repaired it and rented it out and still do they will claim the landlord is a parasite and greedy for making so much money. They want the landlord to rent cheaply or sell it cheaply so "ordinary folk" can afford it.

The utter entitlement, jealousy and greed from such views is over looked. A landlord of 40 years provided a service and certain people want the landlord to subsidize somebody else's living because …?

You should check out interest rate, unemployment, migration etc… of the time when property was so cheap and you would see that people couldn't afford houses back then and left the country meaning house prices couldn't rise. I was old enough in 1988 to remember how things were. My brother is only 2.5 years older than me and emigrated as there was no possibility of work. By the time I finished education Ireland had dramatically changed and I didn't need to emigrate

Only tangentially for the person i was chatting to, they want the trendy old Dublin redbrick/cottage yet the 3/4km up the road nice if ordinary house with good schools, no social issues, good transport, don't attract half the attention they just tick along.

Indeed. My entire point was that housing has become more expensive than it was in the past. You've just agreed with this, underlined it with some reasons as to why and then peppered in a few ad hominines. Good man, Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭tigger123

I do wonder what all of the dicsussed areas are going to look like in 5 years, and Dublin generally. House prices have really rocketed up in the last 10 years, meaning you need a significant combined salary to buy anything.

If you have that, coupled with probate sales and the usual churn of older people leaving and younger people moving in, you're going to have a rapidly process of gentrification in some areas.

Different things are important to different people. If you have no kids and work at home, then schools and transport don't matter, and maybe a trendy coffee house and artisan bakery are critical.

No you were suggesting house prices should not raise above inflation. No insults just an opinion of certain views expressed here that your appear to align with

• Advertisement

House prices have really rocketed up in the last 10 years

But are only fractionally above what they were 17 years ago.

you're going to have a rapidly process of gentrification in some areas

Good. I say this as a lifelong resident of Dublin - there are a lot of parts of the city which are absolutely horrible and in dire need of a bit of gentrification.

But you need to have a higher income in order to borrow the same mortgages due to the Central Bank lending rules.

So while the house may be the same (or simliar) in price, the income is greater of the person purchasing it.

Whether they should rise with inflation or not is one thing. I'm merely pointing out that they did not. If it seemed that I did, then I was unclear. Good day.

Just remember, the flip side of gentrification is that it prices out people from the area gentrified. They in turn go somewhere else and repeat the process. This is one very good way to ensure that communities die.

When you're talking about communities that have been riven by drugs, crime, unemployment and every other social problem you can think of, what exactly is the problem with them being gentrified?

If a community has failed, why would we pump more and more public money into keeping it on life support?

As someone who bought his first home with a 100% mortgage and very quickly came to regret it, I can assure you the lending rules are a very, very good thing.

I totally agree; with the pressure on demand in the last number of years, house prices would have spiralled out of control without the lending rules.

You're kind of tarring everyone with the same brush there.

Even if an area has social problems, its generally down to a minority within it.

That is never really the case. The social contract is different in areas and general behaviour is lower. A simple way to see it is with the statue Lady On the Rock is not in any window in a high cost neighbourhood. The teenagers dressing like thugs to fit in with their peer group and targets if they don't. Drive through the rough parts of Dublin and you will see the same things and it isn't a minority but the majority of the area that looks run down. The expression of a few bad apples includes it ruins the barrel by spreading to other apples in the barrel. Same happens in such neighbourhoods where people will be fine buying stolen goods and can be sold door to door.

How small do you think the minority are? 1%,5,%, 10%, 20%…?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Good to see class prejudice is alive and well in Ireland.

Advertisement