Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

”Getting nearly murdered” was probably the only single event that could have helped Trumps campaign so far, but it hasn't translated into the sort of poll lead that you would think.

You’re correct in one way, if voters are looking for someone to “protect them” they are probably more likely to choose Trump over Harris right now - and “security” is high on the list of voters concerns- but that doesn’t mean Harris can’t show her steel in this area over the coming weeks- there’s still time.

If Trump continues with his abstract rants and doesn’t focus continually on key issues, he will lose-right now he’s just doing a scatter gun approach - I don’t think that will get him over the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,849 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

but other than all that, Trump seems a top guy. He says he will make america great again (?), and gives out red hats

They get nasty when they don’t get their way or if they know they’re losing - I’m waiting on their “ace” to be played, whatever that will be. I reckon they’ll start with family - Harris father, whom I don’t believe there’s an overly warm relationship with, is apparently a left wing professor - you can see here just how Fox News are treating this man - no doubt in my mind that Trump will paint Harris as a “Marxist” too- then the question will be, do any of his target audience for that rant actually know what a Marxist is🤪

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/who-kamala-harris-combative-marxist-economist-father-donald-j-harris.amp

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I hate to respond but it is something many posters who haven't lived in the US realise is that the claim the shooter donated to the Dems is both right and wrong. Happens all the time over there, there is a fundraising pact for an idea, a sentence, etc. Whichever party you vote for, this one line idea that a political party might be garnering support for could be quite reasonable or also quite vague, so much so that you wouldn't associate it with a party, just that it seems like a good idea, and you would support it. My time in the US, in hindsight, I see it now as buying a bit of kudos. The working culture over there (at least where I was), didn't allow time to attend protests, to attend rallies, to petition people, so often, this is what people done. Yes the shooter might have known it was a democrat backed idea but in reality he a) might not have known at all and b) might not have cared. Just like parish pump politics here, people will quietly support or not even realise they are supporting "the other team" if it achieves what they want locally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,607 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It was discussed on the assassination thread… the evidence found showed Crooks had been researching targets and events across party lines. I will leave detailed discussion to that thread.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Interesting, thanks. As a general query, would you know do most people donate money to their party in the US? I don’t think I’ve ever given a shilling to any party in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Are Irish political parties even allowed to directly fund raise i.e. place adverts and send texts saying 'please give us money'? I have a feeling this may be banned under Irish law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Yvonne007

The playbook:

1. Trump is the worst
    2. Ignore all of the things his opponents do because Trump is bad
    3. Have I mentioned Trump is bad?
    4. Obfuscate wherever possibe.
    5. If anyone has the temerity to say anything bad about Kamala, accept with no doubt that they support the alternative.
    6. Trump is bad
    7. Whenever anyone mentions the preferred candidate is flawed, remind people Trump is the worst
    8. Trump is the worst

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I view Harris as a highly capable politician and think she'd be a good president. I also think overall Biden was a good president, better than expected even. I had issues with his policies on Israel but would apply to any US president.

• Advertisement

no idea- found this from 2021 if of use - I imagine if you’re part of a political party in terms of membership there’s some online communication channel used - whether specific social media are banned from use I don’t know- but I’ve never been asked on the street to contribute to a party

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Rawr

Point 3 is an interesting one, because I feel it sort of suggests a degree of self-awareness in a MAGA supporter. It's almost like they know that Trump support can't be honestly defended in debate settings like on here, so they'll hide their preferences in order to wedge in a pro-MAGA viewpoint when they can.

Your typical: "I don't like Trump but…." person.

What facinates me is that in order to hide your MAGA membership you'd have to eventually examine why you are hiding it. Is there enough self-awareness that they subscribe to a movement that can't be defended? What kind of mental energy needs to be engaged to force yourself to ignore the harsh light of reality to stay on Team MAGA while play-acting as someone who isn't?

I wonder if it goes deep into our primal need to belong to a group. Maybe it's also the whole "sunken cost" thing, that after a decade of MAGA nonsense, some people might not like to admit that they pissed away a sizable chunk of their life? I'm certainly not happy spending the same amount of time debating the fundamentals of reality with neo-facisits instead of spending that time trying to debate ways to actually improve things.

If we still belong in the "good" reality, and Harris beats Trump, we'll hopefully see the end of MAGA in the coming couple of years. After that time there will alas be a lot of lost & angry people out there, who can hopefully be helped.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I wouldn't have specifics but yes, it would be quite clear although often for specific things. Kamala and Trump would both receive a huge volume of small donations from party members and supporters for their campaign, there would be donations to the party at rallies and in communications. There are of course those that would be for a specific bit of legislation or to show support for a policy, this might be a party, might be a politician, a working group or project, the latter two might be aligned or affiliated with a party or they might not and it might not always be clear. Most notably when you identify as a Dem or Rep, the idea resonates but isn't actually in line with the party. This is easily done as both are right wing parties to one degree or another so agreement with both parties on certain things often happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

In politics if a candidate had been found to commit rape, you would be absolutely correct to criticise that candidate and those who support them. It's a no-brainer.

If those supporters waved it away and pointed to a far lesser indiscretion in some other candidate - you'd nail them.

If a candidate I supported was found liable for sexual assault, or was found guilty of fraud, or was complicit in supporting an insurrection - I wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

This is why people don't bother defending Trump here, they simply can't, so instead they resort to carrying out an act of "being impartial" and attacking much more minor things about opponents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have made this point before, that there is an element of bread and circuses about the MAGA following. If Trump gets in he will not need his followers, except for adulation. The power behind the throne will not really need him, except as a figurehead, which will suit him fine. He can play golf, watch tv, hold rallies and sign things. At that stage democracy is gone.

We can only hope that 'anyone but Trump' gets in to give the country chance to regroup and rethink their political system. I am not confident. Maybe it actually needs a few years of dictatorship and extreme right wing control to penetrate the 'I'm alright' mindset, in which case, heaven help the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

You quoted Dohnjoe, yet not exactly proving him wrong though?

I mean you evaded Tony's question twice, and I assume once I ask, you'll evade it a third time, so we will just surmise you hope for a Trump win in November

So which of Project 2025's policies do you agree with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I think it will be more than a few years if Trump gets in this time. Project 2025 is a very long term goal to cut out the democracy of the United States and turn it into a Christo-Fascist country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Ok, what positive things does Trump bring to the ticket?

The floor is yours as they say.

By the way, you asked what does Kamala bring, I gave you a summary of her achievements to date, did you have anything to say to it?

I don't like Trump but.. is a valid position.

It should be okay to also point out flaws about his opponent/s.

Any criticism of Kamala seems to equate to tacit approval of Trump which is incorrect.

Super many thanks for the reply and information

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Shoog

Countries who fall into dictatorship usually take decades to claw their way back out again. There is usually a lot of bodies piled up in the process.

There is nothing educational about falling into a dictatorship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I've no idea where you got this idea that Harris would be bad at the job of president, she has excelled in everything she has done so far and is as qualified as someone could be for the job.

We know trump is a very bad president as objectively rated against all other presidents.

I think that South Park episode went completely over your head (unless you were talking about the newer one which reveals "trump" as an ex-transgender character who didn't want to run and purposely did as bad a job as possible so they wouldn't get elected but dumb americans kept voting for them anyway).

He is a terrible candidate. If I was pushed to say anything positive, I would say the world seemed to be a safer place while he was in charge. This fact I wouldn't attribute to his ability or his leadership, it was more likely due to happenstance.

There is an overwhelmingly large amount of negatives attributed to trump on this discussion. The majority of them are valid. I see no sense in repeating them. But we should also be able to discuss the shortcomings of Harris too without being unfairly labelled as a Trump supporter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,607 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You are remarkably free with your critical \ negative opinions of Harris.

Yet even the mildest of criticisms of Trump has to be dragged out of you reluctantly, after being pressed on the point by other posters.

There is zero balance in your posts, or attempt to set common standards that you will discuss both candidates on.
    It is a flag which usually translates someone being a closet Trump supporter.

If you are not a Trump supporter, you're doing a good impression of one.

And if you are not a Trump supporter, why would you get so defensive about it and be so free with opinions of Harris and not Trump. Otherwise, your posts come across making contrary points for the sake of it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

That's absolute horseshit to be honest.

What has she excelled in doing? How's the border looking? Despite the gaslighting to the contrary, how has her run as the border czar faired out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Yes absolutely. Feel free to list out some of Kamalas flaws.

From my own perspective, the fact that it’s still “all to play for” just 3 months out from election day, is just flabbergasting if that’s a word.
    -you couldn’t get a more flawed public figure that had a a reasonable chance at the white house if you tried.

I know I wouldn’t like to be represented by this man- nor would I wish to be seeing supporting him - considering the Republicans are renowned for their morality stances etc it’s complete hypocrisy - makes for great discussion but yeah, maybe it will take 4 years of dictatorship to wake them all up - Democrats can’t be left without blame here either - Biden most certainly would have lost given his performance and state of health - Harris is starting on the back foot but has made good progress so far- we’ll have to see if that’s enough

Whatever flag you want to attribute to me is your own personal bias. A discussion forum should be used to discuss.

Trump is a convicted felon/rapist, has absolutely no filter and is an egomaniac. This has been said multiple times and really needs no repeating, which is why I don't bother. That conversation has been beaten to death at this stage.

Anyone with a brain can see she was parachuted in as a Hail Mary which seems to have worked so far.

I do find it staggering that people are hesitant to also be able to point out Harris' flaws too without people claiming that any criticism is an endorsement for her opponent.

It should be a conversation. It should be a discussion.

But this thread is not that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Bi-partisan approach was blocked by the GQP via trump because he didn't want the praise to go elsewhere.

If you're really interested in going through the achievements, vox has a relatively balanced article here going through strengths and weaknesses:
    Can Kamala Harris beat Trump? The VP’s strength and weaknesses, explained. | Vox

It does seem that a lot of the "weaknesses" have been areas where bills were stymied by failing to reach a supermajority or areas that would be seen as strengths on the GOP side (going after oil protestors, keeping people in jail). We'll let you argue in bad faith for those ones :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Hoop66

delete

Advertisement