Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dublin really safe?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You've just experienced pubs in Dublin? You've never been to the beaches, parks, museums, gardens, galleries, exhibitions, theatres, cafes, restaurants, zoo, tours, rivers, cultural events, festivals, venues, islands, mountains, coastal villages, markets etc?

No wonder half of you don't like Dublin. You haven't a bulls notion what's on offer. To much time in pubs and on social media.

PM me if you want some more info on your capital or jump on to the Dublin city forum where you'll get people that know their country.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭joeymcg

Love Dublin cos free tram anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭yagan

Again naval gazing.

All these things are available outside the m50 without the junkee jamboree that is the city centre.

I suppose though I'm wrong in that I should look at junkie culture as a positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭GreenPanda99

I thought people were talking about the general state of the area around O'Connell street and its surrounds. There are plenty of lovely parts of Dublin. Most of Dublin actually. But pointing to them is not doing anything to prove that the city center has not gone majorly downhill the last few years. You only have to go for a walk there and see. But I appreciate that many are desensitized to it as they see it every day and think its normal.

They're not. The National Museum is in Dublin, so is Kilmainham Gaol, Trinity College, a lot of musical events… and many more popular cultural venues. Don't forget Dublin is the cultural epicentre of the country. Although it has its problems (which I've addressed numerous times) it still holds unique treasures and experiences that simply can not be experienced elsewhere. The National Gallery has some amazing stuff coming up that won't be touring beyond Dublin.

• Advertisement

I don't disagree with that. Every few years in the tourist off season, quiet months like January/Feb, I'll head to Dublin for a weekend just to visit the national gallery, but otherwise it's a quickabout turn as I simply don't enjoy the junkie culture that's now embedded into the city centre.

But I can catch classical concerts all around the country without having to wade in the miasma of junkiedom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

so you're not familiar with the national concert hall then for classical music? zero social issues around that area

I've been but you seem to be unaware that its orchestra tours.

i don't know, the last person i saw there was nils frahm, don't think he tours around the midlands or whatever depressing place it is you live in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭Floppybits

That is an absolute crock of Sh1t of post. Tell me what beach is in Dublin city centre? Not beaches in Howth, Sutton, Portmarnock, Sandymount, tell what beach is in walking distance from Dublin city centre? All you have done in your post is describe something that would be in some tourist guide for visitors to Dublin City.

Do you really think that someone living in the city gets home from work and says do you know what I think I will head to the Musuem for a few hours or some lad living in the flats around Gardener Street or Cumberland street or up around Mountjoy Square is going to say to his mates "Lads, the RTE concert Orchestra are playing the national concert lets all head over?". You are living in cloud lala land if you think people living in the city centre do that.

• Advertisement

You don't have to insult everywhere outside the M50 to deflect from the fact that Dublin has an off putting junkie culture problem. Do you really believe that Dublin = Ireland?

I used to enjoy a trip to the national concert hall, combined sometimes with trips to the Chester Beatty, National Museum and National Gallery, etc…

But the last time I was living and working in the city before the pandemic I hardly visited any of them as the junkie jamboree put me off going out after work.

The lockdowns merely revealed what many knew already, control of the core had been ceded, and it's gotten worse since.

Outside the M50.

We have electricity and indoor plumbing. The donkey failed its NCT though.

Seriously citing beaches as a reason to visit Dublin is nonsense when there's so many options around the country. We have coffee outside the M50 too.

You're calling one part of Ireland a kip, a hole, a dumping ground and making light of addiction problems with your "junkee jamboree" phrases etc.. and now you're getting offended because someone points out someone didn't tour somewhere else?

Where do you live?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You don't have to insult everywhere outside the M50 to deflect from the fact that Dublin has an off putting junkie culture problem

One assumes your irony meter is completely non-functional.

I am from experience calling one part of the nations capital an unattractive offputting crime infested hole.

Even our Minister of Justice can't go there without a supplemented security detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I have just come back from a few days in Lisbon, Portugal. I felt much more comfortable and safe there, than I do in Dublin city centre.

I saw very little begging or drunken/drug induced stumbling around, no shouting and screaming in public spaces or being afraid to make eye contact with the 'whara you looken ah?' gang. I never felt worried walking around Lisbon's streets (day or night) or using the extensive and coordinated public transport network of buses, trams, metro and trains. There was very little public drug use/activity too, despite their liberal drug use policy.

The other thing I noticed was a casual police presence. They were about the place but not overtly so… just I noticed them around in the major areas, where as in Dublin a garda on the beat would be a rare spotting. The travel guide books do warn of anti-social issues in Lisbon - as for all major cities, but from my experience, Lisbon would be literally streets ahead of Dublin in terms of being able to enjoy a city hassle and worry free.

This was my honest experience of comparing Lisbon to my home city …… the long term lack of planning and care for our capital is coming home to roost and the rest of the world is moving onwards and upwards while we still have the dereliction and anti social behaviours on O'Connell street and the general city centre areas that I have been hearing about (and seeing) for the past 50 years. Lisbon has seen dramatic but sympathetic development in that time, with fantastic public transport options bringing life in to the city centre areas… what have we been up to?, apart from a basic start on a street tram system and recently banning cars on the quays while we still have no mass transport alternatives?

My experience of Lisbon is being offered drugs every 30 seconds or so by gypsies, it's really annoying.

• Advertisement

I was just about to reply that someone will be along to explain that any example anyone provides of somewhere else feeling safer will be quickly rebuffed with a glib "everywhere is the same", but I see I was beaten to it.

Beaches in a capital city are amazing amenities. Kayaking, sea swimming, winging, beach combing, sailing, kitesurfing, surfing etc… Not every capital city can offer tens of beaches offering amazing sports and activities. One of which is sitting on an amazing wildlife sanctuary island. A lot of which are reachable by public transport. There are hundreds of clubs and businesses directly involved with the sea in the capital, for some the sea is a way of life or even a lifestyle. They may not be important to you, but to Dubliners and the millions of people from outside Dublin that live here, beaches are an integral part of our lives. 

What are you going to do, send around some of your precious junkie culture to sort me out, cure my junkie aversion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I was expecting it too, but what I wrote was my genuine experience and informed opinion. I am sad to say it, but we have made a total mess of managing Dublin city, over many years.

Nah you're always the same you lot. Do nothing but slate Dublin but don't have the balls to say where you're from.

So whereabouts are you living?

Grand if you live in Dublin, but you're missing my point about it being a reason to endure the Dublin junkie jamboree.

There's beaches all along the east coast, Dublin doesn't have an monopoly on them and considering our amazing options on the island, most peacefully empty without hoards and traffic congestion.

Actually now that I think of I knew a Dub once who always preferred taking the family to Youghal just to get away from the oversubscribed Dublin spots.

What difference does it make.

If I said I lived in Sligo, you'd call it a kip, murder hole.

If I said I lived in Ballyhaunas you'd call it something else terrible, probably provide links to some horrible domestic murder or something as proof that Dublin is better.

You're just in denial that Dublin has a serious anti social problem in its city centre that puts people from outside Dublin from visiting it now. And I say now because I'm old enough to remember high unemployment and the gangs of young people hanging around the floozy in the jacuzzi but it wasn't as menacing as there was an actual Garda presence about.

Now it's a free for all on the national thoroughfare. Anyone saying otherwise is in deep denial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭GreenPanda99

Im from within the M50 and I live just outside it now and I work in the city center. I dont get all this comparing or even cherry picking other parts of Dublin. There are plenty of really nice parts of Dublin.

I think when people talk about Dublin not being safe its the city center. It doesnt take much intelligence at all to see whats going on there and to realize that what was once on the up, has been getting worse by the week for a few years now.

That’s the point! Dublin is a city and millions of people live in the city. The beaches are available to everyone in the city and further. They’re accessible to the city dwellers, not all cities can offer this. 

Dublin beaches are far from oversubscribed. I was on Dollymount strand last night with the kids, empty, I’m on beaches every week and they’re mostly empty. 

You “actually think” you knew someone that drove from Dublin to Youghal to visit the beach? Dubliners are more likely to holiday around Ireland, but you’re spoofing with this barstool story. Nobody drove from 3 hours bypassing hundreds of empty beaches to bring their family to the beach, stop overreaching.

• Advertisement

I had an old college friend visit me a few weeks ago and although he's living in a decent Dublin suburb he's applying everywhere for a new job or transfer that will take the family out of Dublin. Even though they used to live in one of the culturally interesting parts of Dublin since the pandemic he just doesn't go back there as he feels it's gotten out of control.

Advertisement