Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,642 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

VRR on ps5 needs a 2.1 cable too, shouldn't as it's part of the 2.0 spec.

Post edited by sniper_samurai on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭CptMackey

So it's not the cable that's bust but my hdmi port on the playstation. When the kids knocked the tv it seems to have pulled the port and bent it 😳. Does this sound fixable or am I going to have to get a new ps5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,067 ✭✭✭jj880

Its not an easy fix. There are plenty of videos on YouTube if you want to have a look. Whats the warranty situation? How long you had it? I think its a 2 year warranty for a ps5 in the EU. I doubt Sony will repair it for free under warranty anyway but worth contacting them to see. They'll probably quote you something ridiculous if its not covered.

Edit: just to be 100% its the port try a few hdmi cables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭CptMackey

It's been since launch. Tried a load of cables . Pain.

Damn. I'd still chance Sony for a fix and see what they quote you.

Got a launch console myself also. Handled it like a newborn until I got it in place inside some ikea shelving for protection. Hasnt been knocked over so far:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,544 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Civilisation 7 gameplay dropped yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,064 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Update to PlayStation Stars

We wanted to let you know that we are updating the PlayStation Stars™ Terms of Service, and your action is needed.

Starting October 24, 2024, you must accept the updated PlayStation Stars Terms of Service to be a PlayStation Stars member.

What is Changing?

Effective October 24, 2024:

● New Points earned will expire at the end of the month plus 12 months from the date on which they appear in your PlayStation Stars account balance. Points earned prior to October 24, 2024 will continue to expire at the end of the month plus 24 months from the date on which they appear in your PlayStation Stars account balance.

Effective March 1, 2025:

● The definition of “Eligible Purchases” will be updated to exclude all subscription payments made on PlayStation Store (including any initial or renewal subscription payments for PlayStation Plus or any other subscription service), which means that Points will no longer be earned on subscription payments.

What Do You Need to Do?

Starting October 24, 2024, please log-into PlayStation Stars on PlayStation App or online. There, you’ll be prompted to review and accept the updated Terms of Service to remain a PlayStation Stars member, or decline and cancel your PlayStation Stars membership. If you do not make any selection, you will be considered a canceled member until you accept the updated Terms of Service.

Your acceptance enables you to continue accessing and participating in

PlayStation Stars, including completing Campaigns, keeping your Points balance, earning new Points, and maintaining your Level. If you do not accept the updated Terms of Service, your membership will be canceled, during which time you will lose access to Points and benefits, and you will not be able to earn additional Points. You can view the “cancel my membership” FAQs for more information on what you can expect if you choose to cancel.

If you cancel, we are sorry to see you go, but remember that you can re-join at any time by accepting the updated Terms of Service, at which point you will regain access to your Points and benefits (if they have not expired based on their expiration date).

We look forward to your continued PlayStation Stars membership. Thank you for being a PlayStation Stars member.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭MikeRyan87

Anyone bother getting Concord?

I was gonna pick it up and play it till Astro Bot but decided to get to some of the VR backlog instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just think of Concord as an investment - as in the PSN refund you’ll get when Sony shuts down the servers or makes it free to play in a few weeks or months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,287 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Less than 1000 active players on steam after launch. Awful showing for the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭Penn

From what I've heard it would have been a decent enough game if released about 5 years ago. But as per usual when companies are just chasing fads, they end up striking when the iron is cold. There are so many more established hero shooters that do the same thing but better, and they don't even have the luxury of brand recognition like Marvel Rivals to get a foot in the door.

I can see why they abandoned the free to play model, to try set themselves apart from all the other battlepass-laden games, but I think it really damaged their chances to even have people try the game and maybe attract a bit more interest at launch.

So yeah, unfortunately it looks like the roadmap for the game is

Season 1 - We're fully committed to the game

Season 2 - We're going free to play

Season 3 - Please stop playing it, Gary. You're the only one left and even the bots have started typing "Can we play Apex?" in chat

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don’t feel any sympathy for Sony here - they jumped on the ‘live service’ bandwagon out of greed and cynicism.

I do feel sympathy for the developers - it must feel awful seeing your game catastrophically bellyflop like this, when by most accounts they delivered on the assignment. It was just a cursed assignment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,207 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And it's not even the worst launch for a game. I see a game from Quantic Dream came out called Dustborn and apparently didn't even break 100.

Though it's not live service so numbers aren't important to keep it alive live Concord.

That game looks cringy as f, in parts of the game they literally have a command prompt to complain about being triggered.

I'm not one to push all that go woke go broke bs the ragebait grifters push but that's still crap.

Post edited by sniper_samurai on

Yeah was watching some videos of it and assumed it was some kind of parody game, but apparently it's legit.

Not really sure there’s any meaningful comparison to be drawn between low numbers for a fairly low budget single player narrative game (good or bad) and low numbers for a mega-budget flagship live service game from a major platform holder (though both are subject to the laziest kind of ragebait). The latter needs big numbers playing simultaneously and consistently to even function properly, let alone to make its budget back.

The comparisons are more to the likes of Redfall and Suicide Squad, both (accurately) deemed catastrophic failures given their budget and profile. Even without knowing the console numbers, it looks like Concord would kill for the launch numbers of the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I can only speak for myself but when it comes to online games I would generally find one I like and stick with it. I haven't been active in online for a few years now but when I wasn't playing CoD I was playing Battlefield and when I wanted a break from FPS I was playing GTA. I didn't have time for PUBG or Overwatch. Fast forward to today where there's a new hero shooter, PvP, games as a service out every month, there's only so many games people can play online.

Ebenezer Concord being visited by the Ghost of Foamstars Future

https://support.na.square-enix.com/news.php?id=19278&la=1&n=2&drt=1724734800&tag=87d9005e3aa0690a5e94dc228934fdabf6edcc4a

Foamstars is switching to a Free to play model in October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,064 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

[Billbil-kun] Name and design of the PlayStation 5 Pro

Official name: No surprises here, as we now know for certain that the console will indeed be called "PS5 Pro".

PS5 Pro design: We were able to obtain a visual of the front of the new console's final packaging. This gave us an idea of the PS5 Pro's final design, which has never been leaked before. For copyright reasons, we won't be able to share this visual. However, you can see below a sketch we drew illustrating the design of the PS5 Pro.

The design is very similar to that of the PS5 Slim. The console's exterior is the same white color. 2 USB-C ports and the power button will also be present on the console's front panel. The first difference to be noticed from our sketch is the presence of three black stripes in the middle of the PS5 Pro's exterior. However, the type of front panel remains similar to that of the PS5 Slim. And we imagine that it will be possible to re-use the replacement front panels designed for the PS5 Slim.

No disc drive?

Unfortunately, we're not quite sure about this yet. After all, the visual we have is of a PS5 Pro without a disc drive. However, and even if we don't think this will be the case, we're not aware of the existence of an edition with a disc drive. Although it will undoubtedly be possible to affix a disc drive (as with the PS5 Slim), we think this is more a commercial choice on Sony's part, in order to launch this console onto the market at a competitive price by reducing the cost of the (optional for some) presence of a disc drive.

Announcement date: Although Sony's plans can change at any time, the PS5 Pro will be announced very soon. We expect the announcement to be made in the first half of September 2024.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Interesting read. Launching without a disc drive option seems a bit of a brainless move. If people are going to buy a disc drive, they'll buy a disc drive so Sony should develop a model that has one built in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Yeah makes no sense, would put me right off it there and I am sure alot of others. I like the option of the 2 and not having to buy something to attach to it afterwards.

I'm sure they've probably crunched the numbers on it enough regarding how many players use physical media etc.

I ended up having to buy a digital PS5 at launch. I think when they released the slimmer PS5 model, it came with a detachable disk drive that you could swap out, but it only worked with that model of PS5 so I was never able to get one. I'd say they might go with only digital PS5 Pro and release a separate disk drive that can be used on all models (ie. launch PS5s as well).

It might put some people off, but then again, if they release a Digital PS5 Pro for say €600 and also a Disk PS5 Pro at €700, the only number anyone is going to see is €700, which may put more people off.

Ahh you are probably right but I think if people paying 600 for 1 might of went extra 100 and preferably gotten disc one so.least they have the 2 options to play games and not have to buy an additional thing to clip on themselves.

It'd definitely be the preferred option for many even at €700 (though depends on the specs of the Pro of course), and maybe it will just end up like the slimmer PS5 model where it's technically an add-on but it slots right into the Pro to make it all one machine rather than something just connected via cable (because let's face it, the disks are little more than just the license to run the game these days, they pretty much all install fully on the system itself). But I just wouldn't be surprised if they try keep it separate or sell it with the Digital Pro as a bundle rather than saying it's a model of the Pro with a disk drive. I think the base PS5 is already €550, so even a Digital Pro version itself could end up €650-700 without the disk drive.

If Playstations are heading north of 700 euro there would need to be some big first party releases in the pipeline to justify it.

Yeah that annoys me that you buy the disc and the game still installs onto the computer and uses a crazy amount of the storage device. I am not sure why it allowed or that a certain amount is on the disc and it just needs to use some storage that that the disc couldn't handle.

Plus the way the Playstation handles licences is terrible. If you buy a game and get a digital version at a later date you can't just start using the digital licence like on Xbox, you need to delete your disc version and download the digital version to do so.

I recently reinstalled FF VII Remake, which I have the PS4 disc version with the upgrade license and the digital version from PS+. The console priortised the disc upgrade version over the digital version I wanted to download requiring me to manually select the digital version in my library and redownload all 90gb of the game.

The Xbox does a license check every time you launch a game, it checks for a digital licence first, whether from a purchase or an active subscription, before checking if the disc is in the drive. If no license or disc is found it throws an error directing you to purchase the game on the digital store or to insert the disc.

Lot better that. Was more on the son's computer the other day he had to download update for fortnite, that was 30gb which is fine as that's online game but he hadn't enough storage as Gta and cold of duty added up to like 400 plus gb between them. Had to delete battlefield 4. It's more they take some amount of storage especially seeing as you buy the disc version of the games and shouldn't have to expect that.

Like when they increased the PS Plus prices with promises of great value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

It's because the game can't be loaded fast enough from the disc to run. When games are being developed they know that it will be streamed from the ssd so they're developed with that expectation.

Advertisement