Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Yvonne007

My point exactly.

Tribalist bullshit. If you don't like my candidate, you are for their opposition.

Not true. Saying something negative towards Kamala does not equate to saying anything supportive of Trump.

And yes border crossings are down. Some say it's because of fluctuations due to extreme heat. It says it in the report you provided. That doesn't mean that it is doing great. The amount of illegal immigrants entering the country is absolutely apalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I’d argue that America would be a safer place if he did lose by a massive margin- a close contest will be a nightmare as he’ll automatically shout voter fraud - he’ll do that anyway yes, but it will be far more believable to his sheep if the margin was minuscule - I’m not sure even the thickest of rednecks would bother protesting if he lost by more than a few percentage points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,119 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

”tribalist bullshit” crows the person gaslighting Harris as the “border czar”

she was never appointed the border czar but you keep repeating this lie.

so just so we’re clear here, in the next Irish election if I sit at home and watch re-runs of A place in the Sun instead of going out to vote, you’ll be accusing me of supporting some far right group or the greens or whoever it is you don’t like just because I didn’t vote - am I getting this right?

I believe you are lost. This is a US election thread.

• Advertisement

If you want to suggest that mainstream media didn't address Kamala Harris as the border czar, then fair enough.

Your position is clear. Any criticism of Harris is an endorsement of Trump. I disagree with you. Absolutely no point in engaging with you at all. It's not a discussion, it's an argument with ad hominem insults calling me a clown.

You can continue to shout into the void.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,051 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In 2020, Biden beat Trump 306 to 232 in electoral college votes.

When it comes to 2024, if Harris beats Trump by a smaller margin, Trump will claim that him winning more states than last time is proof the Dems have engaged in election interference, because (whichever states he now won) have better election security than last time and now he won those states. If Harris beats Trump by a bigger margin than 2020, Trump will claim that him losing more states than last time is proof of even more election intereference by the Dems and they rigged it even more than 2020.

So basically, it's not going to matter how much Harris beats Trump by. If Trump loses, it's just election interference and there will be no other possible explanation to Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,607 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It is a two horse race.

Which means you rank this debateable \ perceived flaws of Harris… on a par with Trump - these are your words:
    Trump is a convicted felon/rapist, has absolutely no filter and is an egomaniac.

Nothing you have put forward in your 'perceived flaws' of Harris remotely comes close to that level.

If you sit at home, that means you are ok with a felon and rapist being President.

You are endorsing that it is ok for Trump to be President.

(Trump also tried to steal an election and is a blatant racist but you didn't mention those points, we must assume therefore you are ok with such an individual being President).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

good to see you shifting the goalposts there and accepting that she was never a border czar and that that was just something that was cooked up by the right wing media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,546 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Again, you're being extremely disingenuous, or just being thick, she was never appointed as a border czar! And yet you claim other posters here are gaslighting you, hilarious

• Advertisement

So I’m correct - you’re basically accusing people of being Trump supporters because they won’t vote for Harris. Ok glad we sorted that - and that’s why I’ve no interest in trying to engage with you because that rationale is just so bizzare, it’s no wonder you get a hissy fit every time some aspect of Harris is criticised

You do realise that there are both Republicans and Democrats who may not like their parties candidate for whatever reason so decide to abstain- but you’ll still call them an opposition supporter 🤪

it will not matter if she wins by more or less votes or more or less states or the same amount of states or the same amount of of votes: Trump will find a reason or no reason at all to claim the election was ripped. He’s been saying the 2024 election will be rigged for the last two years. His entire campaign strategy has been to attempt a “stop of the steal” again.

Nope. That's not at all what that means.

It means that I don't approve or "support" either candidate.

It doesn't mean that I like or prefer either.

It means that I wouldn't feel they represent me and I wouldn't be willing to vote for them.

I would class a vote as an approval of a candidate. If I was living in America, I wouldn't be able to safely say I approve of either.

That is not putting them on the same level. It is just saying I am utterly unconvinced that they would represent me, which is the very least I would require to get my approval.

Everything you said is wrong.

(I also didn't say water is wet which means you assume I think it is dry and I am a fan of dry water)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Agree 100% on Trumps reaction - If he loses he will scream fraud no matter what , but the Electoral college margin matters.

If it comes down to a single GOP controlled state like Georgia for example as the difference between winning and losing the pressure exerted on those State level officials will be huge.

If they have to try and flip multiple States (as they did in 2020) , the effort will fail and Trump will huff and puff to no avail.

Fine. Nobody apart from the Far-Right ever referred to her as the border czar. It was completely fabricated and was never mentioned on any news or media. Completely fake news.

Trump is doing nothing to appeal to our voters. He is not reaching out to the left. He is not reaching out to the middle. His campaign strategy is to depress voter turnout, to encourage or even conspire with states to engage in voter suppression and hoping people will stay home just like you are suggesting so he has a chance of winning so I think it is perfectly fair to call it support for Trump to feed into his strategy of staying home

And for what, because you didn’t like the media labeling her a Czar? Disingenuous.

Citation in government records that she was appointed so, as your claim goes.... Its OK, I'll wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

This thread has really gone down hill.

No need to wait. You are right. She was never commonly referred to as the Border Czar. It's a complete right wing conspiracy and to even admit that most news outlets referred to her as such is tantamount to a vote for Trump.

And what if I wasn’t informed of this wonderful strategy -am I still a Trump supporter?
    don’t bother replying, I’m treating your rationale with the response it deserves

• Advertisement

It is exactly what it means.

You are putting them on the same level. You think both have such flaws that are disqualifying enough they shouldn't be President.

Is Harris a fit and proper person to be President? What are her disqualifying flaws to rank alongside Trump being a rapist and felon?

Nothing you have put forward in your 'perceived flaws' remotely puts Harris in that space. Nothing.
    A point you haven't even tried to refute, or establish.

You think you will be more represented by a rapist like Trump than these flaws you are desperately trying to find in Harris?
    How does Harris not represent you therefore? She is an actual democrat first before she is a Democrat, unlike Trump.
    That is an over-arching representation, even if you disagree on policy, that Harris and the Democrats are not stealing elections.

You're just looking for reasons not to vote for Harris.

A vote is more often than not an expression of disapproval of the other side as much as full approval of who you actually vote for. Especially in a two horse first past the post race.

You have no preference for Harris over a rapist and a felon? None at all?

Which means you are ok with a rapist and a felon being President. That is an endorsement that such a person is a fit and proper person to be President, by not opposing it, it is tacit approval.
    You think a rapist and a felon represents you as much as Harris would, though you cant put forward points as to why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I don't think I've ever had an election in Ireland where I fully approved of a candidate, no candidate was perfect for me. However I absolutely voted cause otherwise I would be basically having no input and be in part responsible if an atrocious candidate did get elected.

In this case, we have choice between a pretty good politician and somebody who doesn't even seem to like the concept of a democracy. He doesn't really have any actual redeemable quality and is a convicted criminal. So choosing in this scenario to not vote based on some reasonably criticisms amounts to accepting that you'd be fine with a scenario where Trump wins. In the medium to long term that's far more dangerous for the US than a Harris presidency.

Again, stop being disingenuous. The keystone of your dislike for Harris is that she failed at her supposed job as being in control of the border, yet she's never appointed to that job. So when you cannot dig yourself out of that hole, you resort to sarcasm

you were. And you just have been again. No excuse now.

ah hear I can’t keep up- what else makes me a Trump supporter just so I can write it all down and try and remember it - I like Fawlty Towers and Blackadder - are they Trump or Harris? 🤪

And if the border is such a concern in terms of who 'represents' you, completely ignoring Trump and the Republicans blocking the previously agreed bipartisan border bill… just to wreck things.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Not voting for an imperfect candidate when the other candidate is objectively appalling is self-defeating though do you not think??

The very real risk is that by abstaining in pursuit of perfection you end up with disaster.

I doubt you'll find a single person here that says Harris is a paragon of perfection , but the alternative is so fundamentally horrendous that any weaknesses or failings that she may or indeed does have, are justifiably acceptable to ensure that the alternative does not gain access to the White House again.

Nope.

You don't get to tell me what I feel or how I should vote.

A vote, in my opinion, needs to be earned. I don't believe either candidate would have earned my vote based on what I have seen from them.

That is not an approval of either but a refusal of both.

You can use your vote as an "either/or" should you choose, but I decide differently.

And I'm not "looking for reasons to not vote for Harris", I have no vote in America.

I am simply discussing the political race. I'm not trying to convince people either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

They're both Harris. Keeping up with the Kardashians is Trump 😉

Advertisement