Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

1814815816817818820»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Villa05

Rental situation predicted to get much worse.

I'd question the timing of this report also. Limerick is cited as one of the better supplied rental markets. I suspect the survey was done while colleges were closed boosting the numbers. Population nearly doubles when students are back

This would imply the problem is far greater than even this report suggests

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭hometruths

On the question of timing, it is amazing that the Census appears to be timed to find the exact opposite.

For instance in Monaghan, where the rental crisis is most acute the Census found 615 rental properties apparently available.

But when Savills studied this they found only 16 available properties. Even allowing for the fact that many or most properties will be advertised off market by word of mouth, the difference between 16 and 615 does appear to be staggeringly large.

Something very seasonal must be happening in April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Theres not a hope of 615 rentals available in Monaghan

Given the size of the county that would be an enormous amount of available stock. I do question how CSO finds out about "available" rentals

Every county has the same unexpectedly enormous amount of available stock according to the CSO.

Your theory works if you have secure housing, not so much if your renting

The RPZ's incentivise selling up and buying a fresh home that can be rented at current market rates

The path to ownership is now loaded with taxpayer initiatives through developer grants and waivers on costs and multiple grants for buyers. This deems all new supply as council housing by the back door without the state having any asset and only affordable to a minority. Effectively council housing is only available to the wealthiest.

The economy has evolved to such an extent that your security of housing not your salary is the key determinant of your quality of life. This is the power that the system has passed onto 1 sector in the economy. It has the power to break us and it will

• Advertisement

Battle lines drawn and the full state apparatus is being gathered to fight any affordable solutions and maintain the bubble whatever the cost

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭gaming_needs90

Definite pick up in the Daft ads for Clare this week. I was previously told by an EA in July that they were advising people to wait until September to list houses. Anything has to be better than the dismal summer for houses we have had.

Monaghan tops the table at having the most acute shortage of houses for sale as well:

Monaghan is at the coal face of the housing shortage, the worst affected county in the country for scarcity in supply of both rental and sales stock.

That is a surprising discovery, though I doubt there will be lobbying calls to prioritise new builds in Monaghan!

Obviously 12.2 houses for sale per 10,000 is chronically low, but unfortunately they don't offer an opinion on what level per 10,000 would be acceptable.

Given Leitrim is at 42.9 per 10,000 is it safe to assume at least that it is an acceptable volume for sale?

https://www.savills.ie/research-and-news/savills-news/365792/which-counties-have-the-highest-and-lowest-number-of-homes-for-sale-and-to-rent-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭DataDude

I’m not really sure what this has to do with my post. I do wholeheartedly agree with your comment that your housing situation is more important than your salary in terms of your quality of life though.

All I was saying is. Net wages are up almost 30% in 5 years. If cost of living (excluding housing) had gone up 30%, then peoples remaining income to spend on housing would also go up 30%….in reality cost of living has only gone up 20%….ideally this would improve living standards for people…but for those without permanent housing, their extra income is being soaked by housing costs which have gone up 35-40%.

The maths seems sensible. House price & rent growth since 2018 are predominantly underpinned by increasing salaries and pushed a bit more by a lower cost of living burden (I agree this is a bad thing by the way. Real wage growth should be spent on fun stuff, innovation, or saving…not ploughed into housing which is just a further wealth transfer to the best off)

Minister O'Brien seems to be trying to suggest there are security issues over mortgages for Sinn Fein's affordable housing plans. He's worried about who has first charge over the property - is it the bank or the state?

Surely the exact same concerns could be raised about mortgages on FHS properties.

I reckon the banks are on much shakier ground with the govt's shared equity scheme than they would be with the proposed SF scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,734 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Houses are expensive, but they are not that expensive.

Single Median income to average house price ratio is approx 7.5

HTB will give you 10% or up to €30k, so that would bring it down to approx 6.8.

Not great, but not terrible, considering other parts of the world.

A dual-income couple on an average salary can easily afford an 'average' house.

The issue is that there are too few houses on average to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭combat14

unfortunately many buyers are not dual-income buyers and not everyone is buying new homes to avail of the HTB either - maybe houses are affordable if one is younger getting a 35-40 year mortgage but many FTBs are now getting on in age with smaller mortgage terms and far higher payments it aint cheap out there or easy for many at present

• Registered Users Posts: 11,956 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I wonder how many of those 615 properties are just flats above boarded-up shops.

I do recall an interview on primetime with Eoin where he said he was trying to attract pension funds looking for secure stable income closely linked to inflation. Your talking about people at pension age looking for income that tracks inflation. This scheme closely matches that customer requirement so if it were a rental solution maybe you could bypass the banks for funding. Said pension funds were completely put off by the speculative nature of the Irish market.

FFG are wedded to developers and speculative finance. These people will run rings around FFG and take taxpayers to the cleaners and FFG buddies will be minted in the process.

FFG's sole skill in this process is creating the illusion that they are the taxpayers and first time buyers friend. Amazingly they are getting away with it while most ftb are shopping in the uninterfered market of used homes.

This morning it was announced that they are increasing the funding for the first home scheme with the liklihood of more rate cuts in the short term. We could well be entering the phase equivilant to 100% mortgages in the noughties.

The next election is the last chance to avert another disaster and it will be missed just like the multiple opportunities that have been missed over the last decade

7.5 x income certainly looks terrible compared to apparently 4.5 x in the US.

And that figure of 4.5 is triggering some bears to call their market an extreme bubble, saying it has only ever been that high twice in history

Mad when you think about, in Ireland 4.5 times income is the stuff of SF wet dreams of affordability, in the US it's a red flag of a housing bubble!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭DataDude

This is a very poor use of ‘data’ to draw a really poor conclusion!

The Irish data is individual income to home price ratio. You’re quoting USA household income to home price ratio. And even the basis of that data is questionable. Median US home prices are $420k. Median household US income is c.$70k.

The official looking graph is posted by the account of a sensationalist lunatic linking to his own website!

The median US home price to median individual income ratio is at least as high as Ireland (likely a bit higher) AND they have mortgage interest rates almost double ours.

House purchasing in Ireland is astronomically more affordable than the US, and indeed more affordable than pretty much all first world countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Timing belt

I was fairly certain that USA house to income ratio is higher than Ireland are you sure your comparing like with like?

A quick google brought this up

@DataDude and @Timing belt fair enough, I stand corrected, should have thought that one through a bit better.

Advertisement