Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,605 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

" These people are the people that need to take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror and see which vision of America they're least against  coming down the road and vote accordingly.

This.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭crusd

While ignoring that there was a bipartisan bill on the border, agreed in committee… backed by unions… all set to pass until Trump ordered his lickspittles in the House to block it. Even though it had stuff in it Republicans are calling for.
    Proof positive Trump just using it as a political football, so he could keep trying to stoke fears about a 'crisis'.

Anybody who claims to be concerned about the border while ignoring that has no credibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Yvonne007

I've voted in every election since I have been eligible.

I only use my vote to support people who I believe represent me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

But name calling other posters is not helpful - I’d prefer to discuss the ins and outs and potential reasons in the last sentence of your post than go any further taking about abstainers as it’s going nowhere. Points are made on both sides and we’re not going to agree- I’m leaving it there- others can do what they like

• Advertisement

You're discussing American politics. How exactly do you expect them to 'represent' you?

So putting yourself in the situation of an American voter:

Why can't a mixed race woman, with a career as a prosecutor and a DA, a law abiding citizen, a democrat (small d)… why can't she 'represent' you?

Calling someone a Trump supporter, in a thread discussing a two horse race between Harris and Trump… is name calling?

It is not name calling, it is teasing out their actual position.

Well unless we're agreed Trump's depravity is such his mere name is on the level of 'Nazi'.

yep it’s “teasing” alright- there, we agree on something 🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,051 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The hilarious part is that if Trump fails to get re-elected, they'll never consider that God wanted him to lose. They'll never consider their own logic that God wanted Trump to win and even saved him from being assassinated, but the Dems are seemingly so powerful (more powerful than God) that they were somehow still able to beat God's own chosen selection for President.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

'God' is just an excuse deployed by the evangelical Christians and their allies to justify all the relentlessly un-Christian policies, beliefs and people they actively advocate for.

• Advertisement

That is a direct quote from the article I was presented with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,797 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

This thread is fascinating,

Even if your NOT a Trump supporter but question anything about Kamala it seems your automatically chastised or answered with but but Trump is an X ,Y or Z

But yet we are led to believe its the Red side who are part of a cult in seeing no wrong with Donald, (there is plenty wrong with him)

When in actual reality both options are awful & shows exactly why the world is in such a state for so many , ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,546 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

The article you presented earlier also disproves that Harris was in charge of the border, you realise this right?

Both are awful?

Says a lot you place Trump and Harris on the same level as 'awful'.

Trump is a racist, a rapist, a felon. He tried to steal the last election.

Nope. One option Trump is awful, whose conduct should have put them in prison or at very least disqualified them from ever holding public office again.

The other option Harris, nothing 'awful' about her. Just desperate attempts are finding any fault to make a false both sides equivalence. A microscope is applied to scrutinise her conduct.

If you rank her as awful as a rapist and a racist - that's entirely on you.

And that doesn't require anything remotely 'cult' like, just a rejection of false both sides equivalences.

It is a two horse race. It is not whataboutery mentioning Trump, it is about establishing standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

For sure, but Harris is a former District Attorney and Attorney General whilst Trump is a convicted criminal, who has had multiple other allegations of wrongdoing and criminality made against him. I wouldn't quite buy the 'both sides' argument here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭McFly85

I wonder how many Americans who claim to be devout Christian’s have actually read the bible, considering the right wing seem to paint Jesus as a gun-loving, foreigner-hating, liberal-bashing American. If the Jesus from the bible came back they’d hate him!

I’m gonna guess very few actually have and get their religious opinions from those obscenely rich evangelical ranters they see on TV.

In fairness, the 'centerists' here would be happy to criticise Harris on any policy yet be remarkably mute when it comes to levelling the same accusations against trump. If indeed they truly are undecided, they would be happy to use an even hand on both candidates, yet I'm still yet to see that happen here.

For example, many of them would become experts in geriatric medicine when assessing Biden's mental capabilities (also conveniently forgetting about his stammer) yet wouldn't use that expertise in assessing trump's foibles.

Harris' team (or herself) is idiotic in not doing an interview before this evenings scheduled sit down, does that make me a trump supporter, well I think you can look over my posting history to see otherwise

You quoted (without citation) an interview as some kind of proof that she was in charge of the border, which it didn't

Depends on whether it’s Old Testament or New Testament I guess- Old Testament is a very violent unforgiving place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Shoog

The issue is that no one has come up with a single critique of Harris which holds a thimble of water. If there was dirt to be slung it would get a good airing here and be robustly argued on both sides - but zilch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Again , missing the point.

When the choice is Sh!t sandwich or your least favourite chocolate bar complaining about the chocolate bar is just wasting everyones time.

Yes we get it , it's not your favourite flavour , it's probably not our favourite flavour either but IT'S NOT A SH!T SANDWICH so Who Cares!!!.

Let's get the Sh!t Sandwich in the bin first , then we can see about getting a nicer type of chocolate bar.

So , it's not that people don't recognise that Harris has flaws , of course she does - but those flaws are utterly meaningless when held up against the alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Problem is, there isn't a lot of "questioning" Harris on this thread - there's a lot of 'facts' being strewn around, which when questioned get snowflakey rants about being persecuted.

There is plenty not to like about some of Harris' policies - personally, I wish they wouldn't increase anything child-related in the tax code, there's no need for more parental support, the public option that's in the platform doesn't solve the fundamental problem of the health insurance companies calling all the shots, immigration games for H1B's in order to suppress tech salaries was something Harris' opponent made noises about and then didn't follow-through on, but is still an idea that should happen… And on, and on.

But we don't have discussions here. "Questioning" is just JAQ'ing around. If you want to discuss something about the candidate's policies, bring it on (and obligatory snark: you can only do that for one of them so far.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Well there was this:

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024 - Page 235 — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

A C&P of at least part of an article. So if you're going to play semantics and claim "it wasn't an article" that tells me all I need to know about the sincerity of your posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,454 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'm coming at this from an unapologetically leftist position, but I do find myself uneasy at the idea that the Democrats (or Harris) are beyond criticism because the Republicans (or Trump) are worse.

Absolutely nobody has said this however.

There's plenty of sticks to beat the Democrats with. The issue is, though, is someone pretending that Kamala Harris is somehow as bad as a person as Donald Trump is and therefore they couldn't possibly vote for her, with the very real possibility that not doing so would let a man like Donald Trump and the republicans with their Project 2025 manifesto into power.

With that reality on the cards any of the criticisms, valid as they may be, become rather moot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Rawr

Pretty much this.

Whatever negative you could say about Harris (and I fully believe that she must have flaws), she's not in a position where the Democrats are planning to replace the civil service with staff who are personally loyal to her. She is not running for the presidency to escape the consquences of criminal activity or a looming bankruptsy on her failed business empire.

She's not a adjuducated rapist, nor did she egg on an insurrection on Jan 6 to overthrow the Republic. She is not the one who failed to condemn actual nazies nor is she the one who stole state secrets to hide in her bathroom.

For whatever she is that might not be great, she is not what the other guy clearly represents. In a binary choice, like the Americans have, there is only one rational option.

"Look Mordecai, that guy's healin' the sick for free! He must be some sorta communist or sumin', get yer shotgun!"

"If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today

He'd be gunned down cold by the C.I.A.

Oh, the lights that now burn brightest behind stained glass

Will cast the darkest shadows upon the human heart"

The The - Armageddon Days Are Here (Again) 1989

• Advertisement

Advertisement