Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Yeah, you often see widowed/divorced men starting a new relationship quickly. Many more women are happier being single. Many men just can't cope alone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,569 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I've heard it's to do with women having and maintaining better relationships with friends family and even children than men do. So later in life they are happier being independent than men.

More older Men will say their best friend is their wife than the other way around. So if a spouse dies or relationship breaks up, women do much better than men because they have more life outside their relationship.

It's just what I've heard.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

The new champions league format is a massive improvement on the old one.

Having to play 8 different teams in the group stage as opposed to 3 means much greater variety of matches which creates more intrigue.

Who cares what Man Utd, Liverpool fans think.The entire problem of european football is that it is catered to the whims of the biggest clubs far too much and any of the governing bodies are stopped from making the bigger teams less powerful.

Football all across europe both domestically and at a european level has been destroyed by money it's made it incredibly uncompetitive and the sense of achievement is gone from the sport. The teams who win things should be winning them and it's no big deal when they do whereas when teams were on a more even keel up to the early to mid 90's you felt like the achievement of winning was a genuine achievement.

Real Madrid, Man City etc winning is not an achievement even for the players as they're playing with a stacked deck.The achievement for the players is being good enough to play for those top teams not the actually winning of trophies for them which is largely a formality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭cms88

How long have people been saying this? Probably every 10 years or so and it's still nowhere near close to happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭89897

Honest question, what about the womens side in what you've said makes it worse?

As far as I see not settling and knowing what they want makes them better in relationships. Easier does not mean better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

The proof will be in the pudding. I'm not an expert on it but what happens in the last two or three match days if some teams are qualified and some are out of it?

Maybe it makes it more interesting for match going fans, but you're still going to end up with the same teams qualifying as every other year, so it's more games for the same outcome.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭eggy81

Need to put subs back to three and limit first team squads to 18 players announced at start of season. Can be changed at Christmas. If a player drops out through injury the his place is taken by a player from the youths. This shite of having 2 or 3 world class players for every position needs to stop. The European competitions should be aiming to reduce games not increase them. As with everything else in the world now it’s purely about money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭eggy81

It’s amazing that even with half the continent illegally watching games through streaming it’s still absolutely raking in the cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

People complaining about the ticket system crashing for the Oasis concerts must be thick. Sure they're part of the problem. Everything nowadays is 'I MUST HAVE NOW'- there's no patience anymore, only greed. You'd wonder how there were any concerts at all before the advent of online purchasing. At least then you had to physically queue for a ticket. And there'd be no crying if you were unsuccesful.

You can be sure they'll immediately log onto Amazon then to stockpile shite, and if they are lucky enough to get a ticket, will probably spend half the concert looking at it through their phones.

My heart bleeds for the poor craturs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I saw a small bit of a the paralympics opening ceremony, lots of flames and choreography.

It was argueably better than the olympics one.

But I immediately thought of this film when I saw all the flames etc - same orange glow.

Then I could not get it out of my mind and I was almost expecting a sacrifice, when the blonde paralympian with two artificial legs was at the part of the opening ceremony on a plint with a flame. I thought don't stand there have you not seen The Temple of Doom?

(Image from still of video).

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Greyfox

No, its you who doesn't understand the complaints. People understand that the system crashed due to demand but that doesn't mean people are not allowed to feel that a better system should of been in place like closing the queue earlier.

Lot of complaining about the price of Oasis tickets and in fairness they are extortionate however considering the way the music industry has gone and bands can't make much money from physical media sales (as nobody buys cds anymore) and they make almost nothing from streaming (which is how most people consume music these days), it doesn't seem unreasonable to me for them to make back what should be rightfully theirs by overcharging for live performances and charging much more than was the case in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,882 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

you can imagine the merch sales in Croker…Oasis on their website they sell very standard T-shirts for 35 euros.

It’s not inconceivable that over 2 nights they’ll sell about 20,000 shirts

That’s around 700,000 revenue in T-shirts over 2 nights, the vast majority of that is profit. Looks to be a dirt cheap Tshirt with a printed logo, set list or tour dates….they’ll have scarfs, hats, lanyards, programs and all the other shït too. So a major cash grab…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,088 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Don't forget, they are selling 160,000 tickets at an average of what, say €200.

That's 32mill for tickets, another 1mill for merchandise.

To put the concert on for those 2 nights is costing a fraction of that. It's simple profiteering by the band and promoters, end of. But hey, it's the free market we live in, no-one is being forced to buy a ticket. They are handing over the money willingly.

They will do Slane too, that's nailed on now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Another Paralympic one, I think Joanne O'Riordan should not be doing analysis/punditry for it. She seems like a nice girl well meaning, a mouth on her well able to talk. But she has never played any sport for obvious reasons.

Most of her comments on the participants start with "I would imagine that".

Her sole "qualification" to be there is that she is disabled. But she has no real knowledge on any of the sports at all, from what I can tell.

I much prefer listening to former or current paralympians talking about a sport/their sport. O'Riordan on the other hand is bluffing talking in generalities what things "might" be like.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

My controversial opinion, I find O'Riordan very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Charlo30

Are some of the ticket prices for Oasis a complete rip off. Absolutely. But nobody is being forced to buy them. If someone spends a few hundred quid on a ticket to see them. That's on them. So I'm not interested in hearing them complain about the price.

Exactly, everything these days are seen as an entitlement or rite of passage rather than a privilege.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

”Nobody buys CDs anymore”

While physical copies only account for 11% of album sales, the following is relevant.
    New CDs still outselling new LPs in UK, Germany, Japan & Australia. Vinyl ahead in the US. This is based on unit sales NOT revenue.

BTW I buy both formats & am not Born Again.

• Advertisement

But the overall number of CD's Vinyl etc being bough is well down on where it was in the 90's and early 2000's

Artists don't make anywhere near the money they used to from physical sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,043 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Does anyone know if Oasis are getting a set amount from each ticket sale or do they get more when Ticketmaster inflate the price for certain tickets, as they see fit?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

politics / social issues and sport should be completely separate. Sport should be a getaway from all that.

Watching my team Bohemians scraping to avoid ending up in relegation playoffs yet all throughout the year and before the club and fans espousing this cause, that cause, this charity, that charity, all over their website, social media, almost elevated in importance to what’s happened on the pitch….and they’ve been allowing certain persons attend matches for free all whilst they have had to sell their historic ground to pay off debts and now, almost getting relegated … 🤨 🤔🤦🏻‍♂️

Maybe run the football club, like a football club ⚽️🏆 …and not a social / political movement that just happens to have a football team and ya wouldn’t be in the mire…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Nothing like the opportunity to make millions of pounds to bring two feuding siblings together again. Some grift.

The people who run Bohs (and they're social media) seem to be more interested in fishing for clout on line rather than caring about how the team performs.Feels like they care more about being seen as everyone's favourite little socially conscious club (but only conscious of trendy lefty causes) than about being a football club that is successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Yes, physical music sales are significantly lower than the peak but seem to have bottomed out at around 10-15% of overall album sales. Most new albums still get a physical release & there are loads of reissues still coming out on both formats. Interesting that you said “nobody buys CDs anymore” but didn’t mention vinyl. The latter gets all the headlines even though CDs are outselling LPs worldwide. The average price of a new album on vinyl is €30, the CD is around €14. So if a shop sells 200 vinyl albums that’s revenue of €6,000. Whereas 300 CD sales equals revenue of €4,200. So you can guess what format will get the positive coverage….

Isn't that the social media team's job? I mean, do you want the social media team running drills and selecting the team?

Look, they have to play, and get people to watch. Clubs need an ethos and a community based community on values. You can't disaggregate a club from it's culture, and culture is usually tied to politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

In fairness to Joanne O'Riordan, I think shes had a sport column in the Irish times for about 6 years, (not sure if she still does it tho)

I caught a bit of the wheelchair rugby on rte, and they went back to the pundits in studio, presenter asks one of the lads 'so, wheelchair rugby, what did you think of that?' and yer man says, 'well, I'm blind so i didn't see much, but it sounded exciting...' not sure who he was but im sure he was probably a former paralympian

people won’t be paying through the turnstiles to watch shitè football, and watch a team almost get or get relegated whilst they see the money they spend on and at the club, pissed up the wall…. The overriding ethos sane people want to buy into, as regards sport is supporting their team and it becoming successful and winning matches and trophies….value winning. Bohs have an average attendance of around 4,200 people, if they were more successful that will increase, more revenue, more potential for ongoing success.

Maybe. And maybe they just value their values.

• Advertisement

When you get excessively political it can also turn off potential fans ( if you are looking to attract fans), if Bohs were just representing the local working class community then fair enough but they seem to have gone down the whole "refugees welcome" line and I suspect not everyone in that part of Dublin is in full agreement with this.

Some clubs are somewhat political Athletic Bilbao and Barcelona for example but the difference is their politics are almost certainly shared by 100% of the fan base (even though Barcelona are gigantic hypocrites as in reality Catalan independence would be the death of them as a club).It's also a relatively new part of the club that seems to be bit tacked on whereas other clubs that have some sort of politics attached to them it has tended to be a thing from day 1 so they knew when they became fans what the clubs ideology was and obviously agreed with it.

Yeah Athletico Bilbao fans share 100% the same political opinion...

Isn't it funny how the further removed you are from something, the simpler it seems.

The do when it comes to their basque identity.That's basically all Athletic Club Bilbao are political about is about being a basque club and I'm pretty sure that almost all their fans are proud basques and want to promote a basque identity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,489 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Bohs seem to have 2 kinds of fans, the hipster virtue signalers and then normal fans who you would have a chat with and not run in front of traffic to get away from.

what happens in Gazza is not our problem, not sure why Irish people waste their time waving their flags. Hamas started it. Israel are correct in trying to wipe out Hamas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,043 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

They have a lot of ex-man united fans as well. Not sure where they’ll go if Bohs were to get relegated.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

And you don't think any football fans in Bilbao have any other political opinion and might be turned off by the club's politics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's as if nothing happened before nov 7th, just like came out of nowhere. No idea why they're so mad at Israel, what could it be? Hmmm.

They're all basque so I can't imagine they are ashamed of their basque identity.

It would be like thinking that supporters of Ireland are ashamed of being Irish and turned off by the Irish national team promoting Irishness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I despise the sheep mentality of humans....the mania over Taylor Swift tickets, Garth Brooks, Oasis...or the next overhyped bullshìt.....

I dont blame the service industry for hiking prices at these times to cash in on these suckers....

I couldnt give a fùck that you were online for hours and couldnt get a ticket....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Doesn't matter, what Hamas did was pure evil and now they are paying the price.

Of course it's that simple when you're far removed from it. Like an American presuming all Irish people are passionate 32 county republicans.

Getting off course here because you're not getting the analogy or seeing the silliness of your original point. Maybe some people are turned off by Bohs' politics. They have an ethos and that's the culture of the club. They are probably fine with that same as athletico Bilbao are probably fine if their politics turns off some Bilbao residents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭csirl

I dont agree with the way the Government is constantly trying to push/expand the tourism industry. Covid showed us that it doesnt add to our economy or tax take. Im not anti-tourism, but at this point in time I think we'd be better de-emphasising it and reducing it as the downside out weighs the up side i.e.

- We have a shortage of hotel spaces and airport capacity.

- increased demand = more Airbnb/tourism lets, which is bad for the housing crisis.

- it relies on low paid imported workers - thus adding further to the housing crisis with no tax gain

- our infrastructure is poor and lacking capacity, so would be better not having 100,000s of visitors in the country at any given time.

- the industry is greedy and price gouges - which also impacts on us residents

- full of expensive quangos who give out loads of taxpayers money in grants e.g. Tourism Ireland, Failte Ireland etc.

- we've full employment, so dont need the jobs.

I think this continual pushing of the industry is a product of the Irish desire to be liked rather than rooted in any cost benefit analysis of the benefits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

@csirl,

more milk the living bejaysus out of the tourism industry, that and low paid workers.

@StevenToast

known as the Herd Mentality

• Advertisement

But Bohs didn't have an ethos until a few years ago.

It's a completely manufactured ethos.

I take your word for it because I don't know about the history of the club

So what if it's a recent addition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Greyfox

And what about all the children, is it ok to kill them too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Gary_dunne

Do people not bother reading Mod warnings anymore?

The same sheep who queued for hours for Oasis tickets over the weekend would have walked by the 2 guys busking on Grafton street a few weeks ago without stopping to listen, but as everyone wants to go, they being sheep must get a ticket as all cost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement