Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rogue tradesmen

• 28-08-2024 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7

I've just been conned by a rogue trades man. He goes under the name James from Co.Carlow. He agreed to put up a chute and fascia for 1400 euro. He abandoned the job after he bagged the 1400 in cash and fled. He has gone to ground and won't answer the phone. His phone number is also listed under Revive Roofing in Carlow. I don't have a receipt or any paperwork. Please beware of this dvam artist

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭baxterooneydoody

Why did you pay him if he hadn't the job done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Yeah, i best not post that link in case it's not the same company.

Post edited by Deregos. on

Pictures of your own bad parking WITH CHAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7 saoirse_26

Yes..I think do

He told me he had...the job was 4 miles from where I live..I trusted him at his word. He did answer fone initially . He said the job wasn't finished as his workers had to leave early to get to electric picnic!! ( you couldn't make it up) and that he would finish the job.. but he never came..despite several calls...Now he won't answer phone...I know I'm an eejit to be so trusting...Mea culpa. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Surprising, the web page seems professional enough with positive reviews but the name mentioned is John not James.

Pictures of your own bad parking WITH CHAT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭anewme

this thread will be removed as you are not supposed to name names as far as I know but do consider the small claims court.

Also google and fb reviews. Make sure it’s the right company you are talking about as they could be mis representing a legit company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Money up front, no receipt, no job done, electric picnic.

Most likely a breakdown in communications, keep the faith.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Thats a standard mobile ethnic roofer website, full of chat gp, and pictures of roofs not taken in Ireland, with a phoney address, the guild of master craftsmen means zilch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Wait a couple of days. Then call from a different number. No joy, then go to SCC with whatever evidence you have to date.

Stay Free

Ok. Will do. Thanks for feedback

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭JVince

If you paid in cash and have no contract, it is very unlikely the scc will accept the case.

And most likely the scammers will ignore it anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4 philipray

I don’t think I’ve ever had or can remember such a satisfying service as the one I received from Elite Web Recovery when I contacted them on a friend recommendation after losing my BTC account and saving over $325,000 in crypto. I’ve never seen such professional service and seeing how easy the process was. I was overjoyed when I eventually received my money back and provided me with further expert advice on how to secure my account. So If you have a similar problem and want help, reach out to them via email: (elitewebrecovery @cash4u .com) to help you recover your lost and stolen cryptocurrency.

OP report this to the Gardai, as basically you have had 1400 stolen from you, they may or may not take an interest in what happened, but recently they have taken action against similar con men in Newbridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Our Cousins????

Totally untrue, method of payment and/or lack of a contract are not obstacles to making a claim in the Small Claims Court.

The only thing you have to have to make a claim through the Small Claims Court is the correct address of the business you are claiming against.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

The SCC will want the name of the company / tradesperson and their address. That would be on a contract or receipt. - Just saying it was Jim from Carlow won't wash.

And if you paid cash with no contract and no receipt, then there's no proof of payment, so one person's word against another,

Without that you won't be able to proceed past the initial stage and very very difficult to win.

The name of the company and the correct address can be found online and the local registrar of the Small Claims Court will actually help you find it if you are having trouble. Your imaginary friend Jim from Carlow has nothing got to do with the discussion.

As already stated having paid cashed and having no contract is no hindrance to bringing a case.

I don't know where you are getting your information from, but I can tell you for a fact it's totally wrong.

You shouldn't be giving people advice on stuff you haven't clue about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭standardg60

With the exact same 'reviews' except thanking John in one and Joseph in the other, no sign of James though 🙂.

Unit 1D doesn't seem to exist either, only units 1-6 there, and of course no mention of them on the NGMC site either.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Sorry were conned, OP. As a matter of interest, who made the first approach, you or him? I had a member of a particular 'indigenous ethnic minority' knock on my door, offering to power wash my roof. I was tempted as he seemed to be quoting a fairly good price. I took the precaution of phoning my local Garda Station to see if there had been any negative reports about this crowd, and the Guard on duty snorted. He said, Foggy Lad, if you want somebody to power wash your roof, go and find someone to do it. Do NOT wait until one of these chancers knock on your door.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Advertisement

Did you read the OP.

Seems you didn't

SCC will need some form of verifiable information. Jimmy from Carlow is not sufficient.

A couple of lads were around the south Kerry area last week offering to power wash roofs. One elderly lady living on her own declined the offer but they still went ahead and did it. Luckily for her some alert neighbours were on hand when the job was finished and the 2 chancers accepted they had made a mistake and had toiled in vain.

Them, their leaflet and van were also photographed and all details given to the Gardai and the local neighbourhood watch group.

I advertised the job through a website that rhymes with Spark and it's what a dog does vocally. I don't want to drop everyone in it!

He initially quoted me €800 ...then when he came to start job he said it was €1400. And original price was based on reusing old chutes, and old chutes weren't usuable. He never mentioned he was going to use old chutes! I reluctantly agreed as I wanted the job done immediately. Although I had to wait a week for him to reappear. He said he had hospital appointments.…! He legged it after getting the full amount in cash, leaving the job unfinished with down pipes dangling and chutes open ended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

That website is full of dodgies. I needed a tree felled and got 2 quotes. I asked for insurance details which they couldn't provide.

For the next 2 weeks they bombarded me with texts/phone calls/knocks on door.

I eventually had to ring the Gardai. Not saying all the traders on there are rogue but it has its fair share of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Anything to do with gutter repair/replace or roof repair is a minefield if you have to go looking in a hurry- it’s usually an emergency so you’re panicked into getting “someone”.

I remember before I had a small roof leak- I eventually found someone who did a good job but it cost me a fair whack - he’s gone now so if any other issues I’d have to start looking again for someone.

In terms of “power hosing” the roof, is that essentially blasting it with water? Wouldn’t you risk a whole heap of flooding into your attic etc with that? I’d love a nice moss free roof (it’s not that bad actually just a bit of moss) and fresh looking tiles but I wouldn’t risk water damage.

If I was to go to a small claims court I would need a surname and address of the individual , which I don't. That company he was affiliated to seems defunct.

If anyone has the misfortune to cross paths with this individual and can shed more light on his identity, I would appreciate to message me. All I can go on for now is " James from Co.Carlow" , with a white van and a portfolio of dodgy dealings the length and breadth of Leinster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

There was a case similar enough to this in Northwest recently (last year or so) of a guy who was doing power washing/ roof repairs etc. and vanished without completing jobs after getting paid. He ended up in court, not sure what sentence or whether money was repaid etc. but the guards obviously investigated it and got it to court. It definitely worth reporting it to them.

Also, on the Facebook reviews, a quick look reveals that they're all created within a week of each other in Aug/ Sep 2023 and none of them are in Ireland! Others will get caught out with this sh1t so please report it to guards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Madd002

OP & everyone else in reading here, never ever pay upfront for any trader whatever about supplying materials. A reputable tradesman would wait for job to be completed & customer satisfied before payment is made.

As for power washing roof below guys recommended not to as it removes the coating on slates/tiles that is there to protect them.

Our slates had a 10yr guarantee which it did fall around that time frame, a couple of slates went whitish but I'd say it was the sun over the yrs, anyhow slate company sent a rep and they agreed and offered to repaint them. A subcontractor came out hose washed roof with a normal soft sweeping brush to remove bits of moss &birdcrap of ridge tiles,and repainted it, looked as if slates had been freshly laid. That was 8yrs ago now but could do with getting it done again.

Was there any sign writing on the van

• Advertisement

No...nothing...doubtful if he even has a company....its all cash in hand....he also wanted to mend roof, saying ridge tiles looked worn, even though they were fine. The classic con man. I just hope his day of reckoning comes....and comes real soon.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Exactly . Any reputable trader will have a line of credit with a builders merchant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭advisemerite

There's a page on Facebook for Tradesmen professional ones and very little will take a job without a deposit upfront and payment for materials.

I don't work for anyone I don't know without a deposit for materials and to cover some of the labour, it works both ways, If I trust them to pay me they have to trust me to do the job, if they're not happy with the job they don't have to pay me, something which has happened only once in nearly 20 years

Well my husband doesn't take payment till job is complete, If concrete ordered its paid on delivery by the customer, any materials blocks etc ordered and paid for by customer and delivered onsite. He charges labour only.

I do a lot of jobs like that and if im not buying materials most of the time I won't ask for a deposit, but if I'm asked to price a job with materials I'll take a deposit for materials and 25% on top

• Advertisement

He refuses then again he's ground&concrete works, got stung one once never again.

I'm at the same thing, the price of concrete now would make anyone think twice about supplying it, it's a very rare instance where I supply concrete these days

Advertisement