Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,607 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭amandstu

It is because Trump has threatened (and can be reasonably expected to) not honour the free transfer of power if he gets in .Vote for Trump in perpetuity (or abstain) and you are choosing to bring about the end of Democracy in America.

So you are pissing on your fellow citizens' right to vote and wiping your arse on their votes

It is a contradiction in democracy that (by inaction) the voters can vote in someone who will bring down the democracy .

It has happened before ,is happening now* and will happen again .

Let us hope Trump and his facilitators + useful idiots do not bring it about in November

*well the normal playbook is to rig the election (once the foot is in the door ) but it can be brought about by a fairly free and fair election as we are about to find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Guess it all depends on how you view democracy in America - they do have checks, balances and guns. Honestly I think that’s just extremist thinking and in fact all you’re doing is doing what countries with very little regard for democracy elsewhere with just two main candidates are doing - this or that- but we’ll screw you either way - well no, there is a 3rd way- Americans can vote for a number of other candidates and they just might- and I say fair fcks to them because that sort of thinking is just a pile of extremist facist b0ll0x - and anyone who thinks it is correct is no different to a Trump supporter -,how does that feel now? Trump Supporter ! 🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Trump's version of democracy: He says to Dr. Phil, 'I won California, if Jesus came down and counted them, I would have won'. BTW Biden got 11m votes to Trump 6m in Ca.

So no matter what the results of the democratic vote, Trump will always say, he won.

His failure to respect such a basic tenet, should be enough to erase his name from the ballot.

• Advertisement

It’s still a democracy and freedoms of speech is part and parcel of the constitution - if people are believing this drivel then maybe the education system of America needs an overhaul - but what you’re proposing undermines the American constitution - some people might call that communism - in fact many would have called it just that back in the 50s and early 60s

That he utters this drivel is the problem, undermines democracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

This Arlington Cemetery fiasco is starting to intensify. Not that it will hurt or bother Trump.
    He’s consistently shown huge disrespect to the military over the years yet the principled, pro veteran, America first Trump voter will find a way to excuse him.

Using something like this to rattle Trump will not work if history is any guide. Trump doesn’t care about the military or the bereaved families.

Now if you call the crowds at his rallies small or highlight how Truth Social is a failure? That what’s gonna send him into a tailspin.

Statement from the US army is damning. Not sure it will move the needle. Trump could commit the most heinous act on live tv and still get 70 odd millions votes in November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Sigma101

No problem. Happy to explain it to you:

The articles basically show that you haven't the first clue about Palestinian Americans. It's obvious to everyone (well, nearly everyone), even without reading them, that practically no sane Palestinian would support Donald Trump. I'd suggest you go back and read the articles. A little knowledge can help prevent embarrassing, ill-informed and racially charged posts. You're welcome.

Did you miss the part where Trump tried to overturn legitimate election results in 2020?

Had he succeeded you couldnt write "still a democracy".

All the indications are he will try same again, in 2024 and in 2028 if he can.

Is Trump a communist?

What he proposed to do undermined the Constitition. You seem to think that = communism.

You are talking incoherent nonsense.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Look I’m not disputing he utters drivel - if you want that signed in my blood I’ll see what I can do to satisfy you. But America currently is a democracy - you have to have faith in the checks and balances that such a country has in place- criticising those who abstain or don’t vote Harris goes against democratic principles - that’s why I’m even giving this issue any time - it’s fundamental to democracy- sometimes bad things happen - Trump 2016 in my view was one of those times - in my view, the country corrected in 2020- many Americans would disagreee with me - and many wouldn’t - that’s democracy - Nixon got knobbled - Trump nearly did - all are older and wiser - if Trump gets in - and that’s not at all a certainty - he could get kicked out just as quick especially if he’s unhinged as some of his own party are saying - so can we scrap this sh1te accusing people of being “Trump Supporters” and just analyse the election as a whole without getting personal with people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I feel like it's a question of risking losing the war to win a battle regarding Palestine

To be absolutely clear, I think the US could and should be doing a lot more to reign in Israel. Threatening to withhold security assistance for example would go a long way without actually having to do anything

For US Democrats who support a ceasefire in Palestine, it's a choice between a candidate they can have some leverage over (Harris) and a candidate who has made it clear they are 100% behind Israel no matter what they do (Trump)

So it's a balancing act between ensuring their concerns are heard and not overly alienating the voter base. They don't want to repeat 2016 with Bernie Sanders supporters refusing to vote for Hilary Clinton

For Harris it's a balancing act between appeasing both the pro Palestine and pro Israel camps of her party. I doubt we'll see any kind of commitment to change policy before the election because to do so risks alienating one of those camps

So it comes down to some simple arithmetic. If you want a ceasefire that's anything other than a complete destruction of Gaza, then you either have a 0% chance with Trump or a higher than 0% chance with Harris

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

OM just give over the nonsense.

Did he try? Yes he did.

That he was thwarted last time is no guarantee of what will happen next time.

You posted ramblings about communism, so incoherent you cant even bring yourself to try to defend it when challenged.

Its not paranoia when they are out to get you.

In this case Trump has already shown he will try to subvert democracy and steal election. He is not a democrat.

Trump hasnt moved on. The leopard hasnt changed its spots. Next time there wont be the likes of Pence to do their duty by the Constitution.

There' the reason 40 out of 44 of his administration wont endorse him this time. They were the ones who last time round tried to restrain his conduct and abuse of office.

Pretending like he didnt try to do that, memory holing it, would not be an act of "rational thought" (your phrasing).

Post edited by odyssey06 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,121 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Shoog

When asked about he said yeah my wife isn’t white but I love her anyway. Makes you wonder. Identity politics certainly isn’t a trademark of the left!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,546 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Freedom of speech isn't freedom of consequences, otherwise trump has a lock tight defence in his Georgia case. Give over with that myopic sh!te

tell that to the constitution of America - and stop going off in a different direction - I was asked a question on Trump and 2020 election and if it was overturned- it wasn’t - so live with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭nachouser

just throw the women vote away why don’t you?

I guess I really shouldn’t interrupt them while he’s making the mistake. 🍿

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

He didn't reference you at all so I have no idea what your first line is concluding..

Trump has descended into full on hate and paranoia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

What you have written here is completely empty and meaningless, you're at the point of goading others for the sake of it.

People are worried that the guy who tried to overturn the last election might try and overturn the next election, and he is indicating he would try and do the exact same again. That is a rational fear for people to have.

You keep on spinning off into random different contrarian viewpoints, I do wonder if you realise it.

thanks for the reply - I notice many who are hung ho fascist “if you’re not with us you’re against us” Republican thinking Democrats didn’t 🤪

I don’t think he’ll “win on a landslide”- so get that out of your head 😀- won’t happen.

There’s a groundswell of dare I say it “non-Trump” voter - 2016 was peak “secret Trump voter”- if it goes the other way, sorry you’re on the road to feiced😀- still love ya as a poster though ❤️

Now- identity politics - if I’m right in thinking this is about the degree to which people identify with the candidate / the hugs kisses warm feelings stuff - if so, yeah it’s totally a factor - but again, sorry Donald, Harris gaining ground - you’re not turning on the charm 😀

A way to go yet but that display doesn’t instil confidence - “must try harder” 🤪👍

The racism and misogny he dog whistled before is full blown now.

Imagine what he will be like if he wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Quote:

"criticising those who abstain or don’t vote Harris goes against democratic principles"

1st amendment ring a bell?

Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

Advertisement