Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,137 ✭✭✭pauldry

Was 13c and 14c all day with freezing wind and rain as it has been all Summer. Gone up to 16c now and sunny with less wind. Rainfall is 177mm. I "think" we won't get much more in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Storm names have been released for the next year and finally my name is up there 🙌

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭compsys

For sure.

Also, some people can't afford to get away even once. Let alone several times a year.

I don't think I've ever read such an unusual complaint when discussing the Irish weather…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭Storm 10

So there we are she mentioned the Azores high but after Sunday a low pressure hangs around so two and a half days of fine weather going by the forecast.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭SNNUS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭glightning

Yeah, in years where we haven't got away we have tended to holiday down in Wicklow, Galway, or similar and have always had a great time. And to be honest, we've tended to always be pretty lucky with the weather and have enjoyed warm sunny days on holiday in Ireland plus a few thunderstorms to boot. Might not be abroad, but a holiday at home is still a holiday.

Thanks dave

Can't reply back to the other fella 😕 weird

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭acequion

Bit of good ole Irish begrudgery there, have we 🤣

Well I guess that's true too and for me personally the next best thing to living in a better climate is the frequent escapes to a better climate. But the tooing and froing is unsettling, especially always coming back to bad weather here. Not a hard concept for any open minded person to understand.

October is just around the corner, ye won't feel it.😀 Meanwhile I'm really dismayed that our hopes for decent weather are seemingly being let down once again and keeping fingers and toes crossed that it might be ok as I was hoping for an Irish getaway next weekend. Holidays are holidays, you're right, but not enjoyable in our usual crap weather imo, which is why I never book anything in advance here and always play by ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Generally a bright day in Meath. Plenty dark clouds went rolling by during day. Few lawn mowers in the distance.

Intense shower for a few minutes at 7pm as the kids GAA training started. Least it was saying 18⁰ on the app.

14⁰ now Meath. Cooler morning forecast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

As long as we get another mild winter I won't mind 😊

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Not at all. Lucky you. I'm happy to see people happy (I know you've previously said you hate overly positive, happy people so you might not like that lol).

But you're often complaining about the weather (fair enough). And I just think it's mad that someone could be that negative that they're also complaining about how 'difficult' it is to have to readjust to Irish weather when returning from several holidays abroad. As if it's some big burden life has placed on them.

I mean, if it's that tough on you don't go away in the first place lol.

Usually when I come back from holidays I'm happy and invigorated and happy for a short break from the high heat.

Post edited by compsys on

"Unlike you I'm happy to see people happy"? Unlike me?? You might be kind enough to show something where I've posted something that I'm happy to see people unhappy. That really would be news to me.Good luck even trying to find it.

And I'm almost flattered at your long post. My lifestyle seems to touch a nerve with you.Interesting that I fascinate you. If you don't like my complaining about the awful Irish weather put me on ignore or whatever this newer version of Boards allows.

I will live in hope that you will leave it there.I am in any case. You've denied the big case of begrudgery so why else make a fuss about someone who manages to get away.😁

You previously said you hate Pollyanna types. And people who are always looking on the bright side of things. And you've previously gotten quite angry at people who dared have a more positive view of the weather than you. Which is a bit sad really. I admire positive people myself.

And I'm not making a fuss about someone who gets away. I'm genuinely happy for you. It's great that we live in a country that's wealthy enough to allow most people travel quite frequently.

But I'm genuinely fascinated (yes fascinated!) that you never stop complaining lol.

(p.s. equally flattered at your equally long reply 😚).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭highdef

And my better half will be the storm preceding you (but with an extra l).

Post edited by highdef on

Wow your lucky to get away 3 times a year I'm lucky to even once so I'm hoping to go Amsterdam for 4 nights between now and November and possibly canaries in January as that's the month my depression is at its worst and then hoping to visit my brother in Canada next summer, I'll see how money is etc , I've Christmas to deal with 1st

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: @compsys and @acequion Can we leave at that. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭appledrop

A cold start, good few stations currently only 5 degrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭glightning

Crisp here at 7:30am - 7c.

I still think the next week or so will deliver the most settled spell of the summer. Not a wall to wall sunshine period, and with longer nights and not exceptionally high 850's the best it will probably deliver is a few 20 to 22c days - but more generally 18c to 20c. But I still think that most of us will consider it the best spell of the year when all is said and done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Absolutely beautiful autumnal morning. Not a cloud in the sky but a little nip in the air. Be great if we got more days like this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Not sure how best to describe this morning, seems too early to be saying the word "chilly", although that's how it felt out and about an hour ago. Most definitely cool anyway.

Currently 8c, but a fine day beckons. Always a good start to a weekend when Friday is nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭OldRio

7C. Chilly. Very misty. Heating on this morning.

Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Robwindstorm

The charts are all over the place and completely different. One has a dominant low, others a dominant high, in nearly a nowcast situation. There's some difference between met eireann's forecast and MT'S forecast for the week ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭squonk

First morning I’ve woken up to condensation on the inside of all the windows since much earlier this year but it was foggy out. Definitely a chill in the air alright. It was showing 10°C here at about 7:45. I’m in North Clare so all summer has been fairly meh. Cool and grey for a lot of the time with plenty of rain and drizzle. This is one of the only mornings so far it’s looked decently settled. Even the 2.( days I’m happy with this. A week would be nice but I’ll take what I can get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,137 ✭✭✭pauldry

Cold and foggy today. 8c. Even worse than yesterday 13c and showers.

Of course foggiest in the N and W due to the saturated flooded land.

Advertisement