Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Which is getting so many 10s, absolutely great to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

That's what I thought. Just when I think of niche genre, I would think something like CRPG or RTS and not 3D platformers. But sadly when think about it, there's probably more of the other 2 than 3d platformers.

Like when you think of games like Mario, you don't think niche, but like I said there aren't too many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I was the same. It took me a while to realise that it really is a niche genre these days. There's so few adventure games in that mold and a large amount of the good ones recently have been remakes or remasters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I tried to play this before I think but it was on apple arcade which I didn't have!

Well have it pre-registered on the play store now, so will install automatically when it releases and I can finally see what it's all about :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's a lot of fun. Can feel slow to start (as do most roguelikes), but as you start to understand it better, start getting better cards etc, it's just so damn good. Addictive as hell at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

The ironic thing is that they wanted the song Temptation which has the lyric "You've got to make me an offer. That cannot be ignored."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

for a buyout of any future royalties from the game

So were Rockstar looking to buy the song outright for $7500 and take any extra streaming revenue the song gets on Spotify/Youtube etc? Or just a one time payment of $7500 to simply put the song in the game and he still owns the song?

If it's the latter, is it not an alright deal? A chunk of money and the inevitable boost to streaming numbers seems fair enough for lets face it, a forgettable enough 80s pop hit.

The later, but considering the amount of money GTA makes the fee to licence the music royalty free for worldwide use would normally be at least 10x higher.

Hell the current streaming and home video versions of Neon Genesis Evangelion are missing Fly Me to the Moon, which contains covers done specifically for the series and not the original recorded version which is normally cheaper, as the royalty free licencing fee cost more than the series itself.

Second one.

7.5k for perpetual rights to a relatively popular song is very stingy. An artist of a well enough known song could usually take around 50k for use of their song in a film trailer (which has a short shelf life). Upto 100k for use in a television advertising campaign.

There is so little money in streaming that any interest on Spotify etc wouldn't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

There is a bit more context needed. If this is a song on a radio station along with a few hundred other artists that all need €7500....Then that's different from if this is for a menu, opening scene, trailer.

Even if it's for use in the in game radio that's extremely low. If GTA 6 has the same number of songs as 5 and they were all at that $7500 price the music budget would be just over $3 million on a game that's believed to have a budget of $650 million.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just think how many times GTAV has been rereleased. A perpetual licence would cover all of those.

A perpetual licence is the way to go to avoid the licensing issues we see with so many games. It’ll likely be a different rate depending on the scale of the project - deals can be reached with smaller or independent productions to ensure a lower rate. But yeah, GTAVI is the biggest media release on the planet - more than reasonable to push for a more favourable rate.

I can certainly see why Rockstar wouldn't give on-going royalties from the game. It's not like say Guitar Hero or Singstar where the music is integral to the game. Plus you have probably 500 songs in the game.

Not saying the artist shouldn't fight for a better deal, of course they should. And I'm sure there are bigger songs from bigger artists who were offered far more than $7,500. At the very least they should get a substantial cut of anything to do with soundtracks (even if Rockstar release a compilation on Spotify or whatever). But royalties from the game? No reason why Rockstar would ever agree to it, even at a tiny fraction of a percent.

No royalties is a common clause, but usually has an increased upfront fee to compensate for that. Rockstar are trying to get away with licencing the song with a very low upfront and no royalties.

The up-front should be way higher. Royalties on a future soundtrack will be near zero.

It's usually a low up-front and royalties or a high up-front and no royalties and Rockstar are trying to get the best of both worlds.

There's no real upside to 'exposure' through the game so they're right to want either a better price now or royalties (if they want to low-ball them). It's a bit of an insult.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

PS5 Pro reveal with a short tech speech by Cerny in the next 24 hours.

About time we got some solid info on this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Everyone assuming it’s a PS5 Pro, when it could well be Knack 3 instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

A nine minute presentation. Four minutes for discussing the tech specs, and the last five will be unboxing the new console.

They'll have Kaz Harai as a special guest to tell everyone it's 599 dollars and to get a second job to pay for it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

If it is the Pro then it will be interesting to see how they make it an attractive upgrade for current owners. Of course if it comes packaged with a Bloodborne 60fps update or complete remaster then I'll be first in line to buy it. 😁

Great, now you get our hopes up only for it to turn out to just be the PS5 Pro. I guess they have to save the Knack 3 announcement for when they want to take hype/headlines away from Switch 2.

As if it wasn't obvious enough that the technical presentation is the PS5 Pro reveal, the video is already on YouTube unlisted with PS5 Pro as the title. This has been changed since being noticed.

I know it's short-ish notice, but I fully expect that PS5 Pro to be launching in about 8 weeks time in November!

Just that otherwise, they'd miss that xmas buying window, when parents go mad and buy 750 mid-gen refresh hardware :D

• Advertisement

Yeah I saw rumours about December 7th or something like that, but that's leaving it very tight for Xmas, especially given the supply issues and demand in 2020. I'd expect the usual mid-late November.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ive a feeling if it launches before xmas Sony won't want to miss black Friday in the states. In the other hand launching after Xmas allows them to shift old PS5 stock and disrupt the switch 2 launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Unless there's something special mentioned I won't be buying. I've not turned on my PS5 for months now and can't see that changing anytime soon.

Now Switch 2 is a different story, that's pretty much a certain buy and moves to an instant buy if it has backwards compatibility.

There’s a big difference between a full new console and a console refresh. Switch 2 is a totally different - and much more exciting - prospect. I’m very keen to see PS5 Pro’s upscaling tech (which will presumably carry over to PS6) but no interest in buying a refreshed console at the moment regardless of the bells and whistles.

And if you haven’t switched on your PS5 in months… well you’re missing the little injection of joy that is Astro Bot :)

Just waiting on a sale for Astrobot. I don't tend to buy full priced games anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kind of mental how the consoles have maintained their launch prices. Would have maybe picked a PS5 up if the price dropped but can't justify it at the moment. I'm guessing chip fabrication prices just aren't coming down.

Maintained would be one thing, but the PS5 is more now than I paid on launch day.

I would imagine €650 minimum for the Pro with a drive (maybe even 699), or maybe €600 if they sell the disc drive separately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

I’ll wait to see what the specs are like but thinking of trading in the ps5 and Series X towards it. I like the series X but it’s barely used, I’ll get most new games on PS5 primarily because they’re easy to play on the steam deck when the main TV is in use!

But that all depends on pricing. Usually mid gen refreshes are the same or similar prices to what the base console was, if it’s north of €600 I’m out.

I'd say they'd be fine!
    2020 had a lot to do with people being bored at home, wanting some new hardware to play with, pandemic supply issues etc.
    I'd say now, the mid-cycle refresh isn't for all so people serious about the hardware, should be able to get it.

All of guess of course, could be a total shít show :D

Pro consoles have traditionally been relatively low sellers relative to the base machine. Think in the region of 10-20% of total lifetime console sales last gen.

I’d be very surprised if this is a big seller outside an enthusiast audience, especially given the likely price of the machine.

May have considered it if GameStop was still around doing a trade-in deal. But won't be upgrading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Yep, even though for PS5 I traded it in with CEX a month before release and bought via Smyths I'm not sure about getting the pro on release. There needs to be some serious upgrades for games.

Also CEX not giving great trade value for launch digital console. More money for slim edition

No interest in the Pro this time, hell I only upgraded to the 4 pro as they did a trade up deal for any PS4 and any 2 games(could be 2 50¢ copies of FIFA as long as the trade value wasn't 0) for €100.

Gamestop trade boosts pretty much got me my Series X for €60 between trading my PS4 Pro and a One S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Currently €300 cash for og PS5 disc, not bad but massive markup then when they try to be selling it for €500. Prices may drop on launch though. However, I will be upgrading. Aside from being a slight fanboy, I've literal thousands of hours put into my PS5 since launch, and while it hasn't missed a beat, there's no harm in replacing before things go wrong. I'm banking on €750 including the disc drive.

And if the last 6 months have thought me anything, is that the PS5/SX is best bang for buck gaming right now. And even the Pro will be better than a similarly priced pc.

I think "slight" might be an be a bit wide of the mark 😂

• Advertisement

I'm not a staunch defender of Sony. I'll call out their BS if I think it needs it, and I really need MS to get better because market monopoly and Sony won't gel well together.

But, I've rarely been disappointed by them. They release a hape of games I prefer, this gens exclusives for the most part have been technically flawless (GoW, SM, Returnal and now Astro), and everything just works. I've been lucky with the DualSenses insofar as I've yet to experience stuck drift, but maybe the annual DualSense upgrade helps there...

Just compared to the more expensive for less power pc, they're blowing it out of the water. Best bang for buck for me personally. They've yet to do a bad gen, with the PS3 getting close but pulling it together in the second half of its life. The DualSense is a genuine next step in controller evolution. It does it all, for a fairly nice price compared...

The current price of the PS5 just doesn't make sense when I've a PC that wipes the floor with it. Exclusives just aren't there. I would definitely consider it if they dropped the price by half and I could also sell off the PS4 but the outlay is just too much for basically a PS4 and astrobot machine. Would love a price drop that I know isn't coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Your PC specs just out of interest please. I would like to know what components it has.

Off the top of my head:

AMD 6900xt GPU

Ryzen 5800x 8 core CPU

32 GB ram. Not sure what type but got pretty fast gddr 5 I think.

1 TB sabrant rocket nvme 4.0, I think. Got the fastest one I could as a boot drive. I e other storage as well but use this as boot and for new games.

Was built at the time to beat the PS5 as it would future proof it as that would be what most developers were targeting.

Had to go AMD because of the **** crypto rush. Happy enough with it but could use DLSS.

Pretty sure DDR5 ram won't work with 5 series CPUs.

Probably fast ddr4 then. If I was beside my PC I could tell you but in work today.

A GPU that is the price of a PS5 alone... it would want to be better when you're spending that much. Pretty sure Sony could do a savage console for €1000+

Well I was aiming for a 3080 rrp but the prices went through the roof with crypto. They were also impossible to find, especially in Ireland because of Brexit and Nvidia Irish market suppliers being in England and refusing to sell to ireland. AMD cards were also being released on a lottery. I spent months with an amazing PC with a 1070 got fed up and decided to bite the bullet and try for the AMD halo card as I correctly assumed there wouldnt be as much demand for such a card at that price.

If I had got the 3080 it would have also wiped the floor with the PS5

Anyway I still think PC is a bigger initial investment but ends up cheaper in the long run for someone like me. When you factor in you have to pay a subscription for the privilege to play online and the on average more expensive games the PS5 ends up costing more if you buy as many games as me.

His computer can be used for work as well though so it offers dual functionality.

• Advertisement

Advertisement