Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Yep this is definitely the thing to get hung up, not the desire to lynch a VP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,386 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I haven't watched the interview, so can't say if it was soft ball or not.

But why would Harris go out of her way to give a hard ball interview? Why should the rules be different for her?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Exactly - The correct response is "Some people have said awful things because my wife is Indian - They can F*ck right off because they are racist scum and if they don't like me saying that , tough"

But , he knows that Racist scum vote for him and his Boss and because he is a horrible little weasel he's perfectly happy to not properly defend his wife so that the racist scum will still vote for him.

Utterly indefensible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I suspect anyone anticipating or looking forward to Trump "losing" the debate is going to end up disappointed. His incoherent, stream of consciousness rambling is terrible by any objective measure but he is ultimately not playing with the same scorecard as a normal candidate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Field east

Stepping back from both candidates and ‘ try and objectively look at them’, I think that we should not ignore KH’s vast experience as a prosecutor, dealing with tough individuals, etc. Also being in a position to watch the Presidency being implemented. A big advantage also is that she ‘knows’ Trump - how he performs in debates, what he says, his debating strategies, etc , BUzt Trump does not know what she is like in a debating context.
    Trump probably has the upper hand in a debate in that he has ‘been here before’, knows the ’drill’, has an unknockable ego , knows his strategy /approach ‘off by heart’

So, IMO, it will be a very nuanced debate and the ‘winner’ will be how the public’ reads ‘it. I cannot see either side clearly winning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,053 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think because Harris didn't f*ck up any of her answers, or didn't go off on weird tangents like Hannibal Lecter, sharks, bird-killing windmills etc, and that she didn't take the bait when asked about Trump and didn't go on a rant about him, it's being called a soft-ball interview.

Never mind that Trump is literally given time nearly every week to just call Fox News and rant and rave with impunity until the hosts are literally forced to switch to another program.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,829 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Trump's also been in much more difficulty before in 2016 (pussygate) then he is now in the race and still ended up winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Haven't watched the interview but this comes as no surprise, to be expected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Shoog

Trump is 8 years more senile and it shows every time he performs his stream of consciousness speel. He will ramble into uncharted territory and verbally abused Harris on the stage. He might as well drive a stake through his heart and save himself the embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Earpiece voice can be heard here, bury it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Virgil°

So first you post horses**t about the interview both being cut to 18 mins but then also cancelled by CNN because it was so bad.

That turned out to be false. Sorry but you're not a credible poster. I'm not clicking that link.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Jesus, that's a pathetic attempt at an attack.

The "voice in the earpiece" is the interviewer Dana Bash, attempting to interject/interrupt and then stopping to allow her to finish.

The stupidity of some people will never cease to amaze me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,064 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But he really needs to 'win' the debate at this stage. It looks like he is behind now and playing catch up - even Republican polling is showing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I don't think he's behind, looks 50/50. Everything from the polls, from deep-diving poll analysis via the likes of Nate Silver & 538, from the betting markets. Everything indicates a coin toss.

So I think both sides need to 'win' the debate, or at least not lose it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Come on man…

She had a good, not spectacular interview. Move on. Why not talk about one of Trumps talking points last night? Like, 107% of new jobs went to illegal immigrants? Whats your opinion of that? Or, Trump defending his visit to Arlington, “They say, I was campaigning. The one thing I get is plenty of publicity. I don’t need that. I don’t need the publicity.” - But he still put up a video of him at the cemetery on his tiktok…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Cody montana

If all you have is garbage conspiracy theories, then she’s done an amazing job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,053 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You do realise that if that was actually audio coming from an earpiece that Harris was wearing and that the microphone was able to pick up, Harris wouldn't have been able to keep talking like that because it would have nearly blown her eardrum out.

And that's not a question. You do realise it. You know it's bullsh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Do you actually believe what you just wrote? Genuinely asking @sonofenoch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Trump likely to lose and his nonsense only interests a minority of people now. It's not 2016 or 2020 anymore. What Harris is going to do next in the Middle East and Ukraine is all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭crusd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭SteM

Alright, at this point you have lost any semblance of credibility as a poster on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭SteM

66 days until the election, I would not say Trump is likely to lose at this point. A long way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,064 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's definitely extremely close but Trump has lost all the momentum he had after the Biden debate. If you were to ask which candidate is now under big pressure in the campaign and feeling the heat, you would have to say Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,294 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Good old Kermie.

The irony of SHOUTING in CAPITALS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,294 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Might compile a little game of Trump Campaign Collapse Bingo:

When they dump Vance off the ticket, take a drink.

When significant members of the senior Campaign team start jumping ship to avoid being tainted with the loss, take a drink.

When Trump appears old and sweaty and edgy and deranged at the Debate, take a drink.

When Corey Lewandowski gets fired, take a drink.

When Trump contrives some sort of medical event / injury/ assault to gain sympathy, take a drink.

When Trump has to appear at another arraignment before election day, take a drink.

When Melania announces she is divorcing him, take a drink

When Ivanka endorses Harris, take a drink!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Rawr

So MAGA are going to now invent a phantom ear-piece to attack Harris, based on a Twitter-user jumping on hearing the interviewer's voice and using confirmation bias to fill in the gaps.

This seems to be a feature of MAGA-world. Grab onto anything remotely related to attacking the other side and then scream PROOF! I HAVE PROOF!!` of something….usually stupid….and usually fictional too. That's pretty much been Mike Lindell's bankrupsy-enducing hobby for the past 4-ish years.

Reminds me also of a scene in Jan 6, where some MAGA insurrectionists are filmed rumaging through Matt Gaetz' seat in Congress. One of them produces some sheets of paper, and upon a very cursiory gance of the words declares to have "Proof! Of what they're up to!!" (I'm paraphrasing, but it was similar to this). Never mind that Gaetz likely just had a copy of the day's proceedings schedule, and that Gaetz was very clearly on their side. But these MAGA-nitwits clearly wanted some bonus excitment of finding an important thing.

I think this follows through a lot of MAGAworld, where even the smallest scrap of fictional sensationalism is strapped onto a figurative flagpoll and waved about feverishly while they say; "Look! Look at the proof! My viewpoint of the world is not childish nonsense because Look! Look at the proof!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And when this scurrilous rumour is debunked as being a complete fabrication… is there any pause, maybe this source is not credible. Nope, onto the next scurrilous rumour to be peddled.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,797 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

To be fair worst is the wrong word ,How do you define worst in such a broad job , Unpopular is more accurate , in polls by NBC ,Times many others outlets

The Times had a decent article about it back in April 23rd ,titled , What does America think of Kamala Harris ?

Its tracked national opinion polls her in her time against 4 of her predecessors Pence, Biden ,Cheney & Gore & she is seen less favourable than the other 4 ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It's fairly transparent.

It's a two horse race. If someone doesn't like candidate A, that's absolutely fine, but when they completely ignore the larger flaws of the opponent - that's when it gets ridiculous.

As mentioned you won't find Trump supporters here, no one admits to it. They are here. Again, another large red flag in any political discussion/debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Shoog

It's called CT 101. You find it where ever the CTers gather on whatever subject they declare themselves experts on.

Fuckwits.

Advertisement