Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

1119120121122123125»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Bought it in Currys today, set it up, and it's perfect! Thanks again, @jj880!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Craig_David

I found an old Minix neo x8 plus I used some years back. Have they any use these days ? I was thinking of connecting it up to a monitor with a wireless keyboard for the folks to use for browsing&emails. Has the firmware been updated in the past few years? I will need to buy a power supply (about 15 quid on eBay) as I seem to have lost the one that came with and don't want to waste the money if the device is too old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Well, it didn't last very long.
    Yesterday morning, the Chromecast was offline, displaying a note that WiFi connection was lost. I tried to reconnect to WiFi, no luck. Rebooted the Chromecast, still no dice. I tried an older WiFi router that I still have in the house (running 2.5 GHz for some older devices), it wouldn't connect to that either. I even tried the phone's mobile hotspot, which is what I use when our ISP has issues, both 2.5GHz and 5Ghz. Nothing worked. Chromecast can display available networks, but it cannot connect to any of them. Finally, I restored it to factory settings and tried to set it up anew. It worked only to the point of connecting to WiFi, and then nada!

It is clear to me that the network adapter inside it is no longer working. I tried to convey as much to the Google Home Support person, who forced me to go through every troubleshooting step (most of which I had already tried), but she never admitted fault was with the Chromecast itself.
    This is where I lost it: "Can you please check if your router or wireless network uses AP isolation also known as guest mode or client mode or an authentication page, also known as a captive portal?"
    I had already told her that (a) the Chromecast has worked fine since March, and (b) no changes have been made in the networking setup.

I ended up leaving the chat, so I guess they won't be sending me a replacement under warranty.

Anyway, I wasted 3 hours of my life trying to resurrect this thing, and I ended up buying another one from Currys.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

i wouldnt have bough another one there 2 old now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭jj880

Did you ask for it to be replaced under warranty? Out of all retailers Currys seem to be 1 of the best for this. Theyve handed me brand new devices off the shelf no problem inside 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,941 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

my internet connection is regularly dropping on the chromecast, this is both via wifi and ethernet, any ideas?

have you got wifi banding activated on the router . it may also be wifi interference on the wifi channel your on . try changing wifi channel

i must check all that, but its dropping on ethernet as well?

i used the plug with the built in ethernet adapter and had dropourts may have been my set up at the time , your better using wifi on it tbh same with firesticks

• Advertisement

definitely get faster speeds over wifi, i ll check the above, thank you

do and check for updates in the system if you havnt already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭drury..

Is there any Chinese shops doing customs free shipping

Bangood was my goto but they only seem to have it for a few items now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭BandMember

AliExpress maybe?

A word of warning/advice though, if you're going to for the cheap Chinese clone/knock off, be prepared for it to break your heart and give you nothing but problems before you go again. Better to spend properly once on a proper box than buying a pile of cheap boxes. Makes life a lot easier (and works out better financially) in the end.

The Kinhank G1 looks to have great specs and full Google certification. Bluetooth voice remote also. 73 euro on AliExpress.

Reviews are excellent. Thats a lot of box for 73 euro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I have bought several Mecool box's and no complaints with them.

Bought direct from meccool website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭drury..

I ordered a TOX3 box for 70 euro in January from AliExpress. Came from China. Took 10 days to arrive. No customs fees. What I paid on AliExpress was the total amount.

Hmmm... My bluetooth airmouse remote has become very sluggish with my TOX3 box all of a sudden. Its intermittent. No problems with the LG magic TV remote which controls my box using the CEC connection from the TV but airmouse is handy when I need the pointer. Ive unpaired and paired the BT remote again but its the same. Very sluggish about 50% of the time. Any ideas?

Edit: got it sorted. Turned off "Always visible for nearby devices" option in Bluetooth settings.

Post edited by jj880 on

Hi all

Is there any box that has a easy to use interface?

Formuler box's had their own native app that was very user friendly but I haven't used one in years.

Reason I ask I was going to get a box for my Dad and I want it to be easy as possible to use ,so I'm not getting hounded every second day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Ive got a formuler and find it brilliant, even the wife can use it and that's saying a lot.

My dad had a mag box which was brilliant. When it packed in he wanted to be able to use the IPTV on his tablet so I got him an x96 android box. Cheap and cheerful. He only uses it for IPTV so it's as easy as whatever app you put on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Dogsdodogsstuff

Are these boxes alternatives for firestick ? I presume you can get downloader and other apps on them aswell ?

I have downloader and can load my own apks on my TOX3 box. Had X96 max+ before that. Both great boxes.

Which model Formuler do you have ?

The box I buy will purely be for IPTV.

any way of blocking youtube ads on chromecast, other than using smart tube?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭NATLOR

I've a formuler Z11 pro max it's my 3rd formuler box . There is nothing better on the market for IPTV. The ease of use , customisation, ability to record/ pause live TV is second to none. They are expensive but well worth the outlay IMO

Cheers by all accounts they seem the best bet for what I need.

I've placed the order.

Regarding the record/pause function is there any particular usb/HDD to use ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Good choice. If mine broke tomorrow, I'd buy another.

I've just got a usb stick plugged in. The pause/rewind works well.

Only issue with the record function is you need to be on the correct channel, it won't change to it for you. If you have it running on rte1 and something set to record on bbc1 it'll fail. I ended up buying a second subscription and it now works perfectly. You can also set a series link to record and again, that works perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Do you have one? Do recordings fail altogether if there’s any blip in the stream? Tempted to buy one but very little on YouTube showing the actual interface etc

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

TBH I very rarely use the record option as most of my streams have 7 day catch up. But whenever I've used it it's worked perfectly. I've had the box since launch over a year now I think. Can't recommend it highly enough I've tried a lot of boxes over the years and for IPTV it's beats everything hands down

Same as the poster above I have a 64gb USB drive plugged in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭DopeTech

thanks for the feedback. Purchased one yesterday and very impressed with it. So smooth and great iptv experience using the baked in player (mytvonline3)

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭beachhead

Temu supposedly but more costly than aliexpress

Advertisement