Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retirement issue

• 27-08-2024 6:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2

Employee of 14 years, just turned 65 and company says going forward I have to change to a rolling yearly contract.

Salary , role remain the same. But if I sign a new contract, will that affect my redundancy entitlements?

Tia

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭thomas 123

For your own peace of mind I would pay the 100/200 euro and discuss this with an employment law solicitor. Great to see you can continue to work past 65 though if you wish to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Try the work problems or legal advice forum. I'd say yes it would affect your redundancy entitlements but would they make you redundant as they can just wait for you to retire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭SteM

How would moving to a rolling 1 year contract effect the amount of years you have worked for the company?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭denismc

I'm not sure what redundancy you are expecting at 65? As the other poster said you are so close to retirement the company can just wait 12 months and not give you anything.

In our company any redundancy is reduced the closer you are to retirement as it is assumed you will be drawing a pension.

You never mentioned if you have a private pension?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭dublin49

I would just ask HR that exact question and proceed from there.Ask them can you record the meeting as well ,just for the record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Are you currently on a contract and it’s up for renewal?

was just thinking about this - has the retirement age not gone up in the last few years - if you are a full time employee I’d absolutely not be signing anything until I figure out why HR(who do not work for you) are trying to get you onto a rolling contract. Maybe there’s something obvious I am missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2 Data_Collector

The employee handbook says normal retirement age is 65. Company policy. I won't be signing any new contract unless it states my continuity of employment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Xander10

And if you don't sign on their terms, they can just wave goodbye to you and pay nothing further

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Sono

what sort of redundancy package would you expect at 65 onwards? You’re at retirement age as per the company booklet, you’ll get feck all in my opinion if they decided to let you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,032 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That would be an age discrimination case waiting to happen. Redundancy is calculated on length of service, not age. Sure they can wait you out - but you could easily stay in some jobs until 70 or more.

OP, get a good solicitor.

• Advertisement

Who wants to work past 65 if they can help it? Companies will happily let people rot in their positions, it’s the employees choice if they choose that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Given that many Irish people don't have a pension in place, they might need to work long past they reach 65!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39 GreenPanda99

My company had this retire at 65 policy. They would re-employ people hitting that age on rolling 1 year contracts. Years service was wiped out too. That was for company and statutory redundancy too.

About 18 months ago a guy pulled them up on it, stating age discrimination and got a solicitor involved. The policy was dropped and he and anyone going forward will not be forced onto a contract on turning 65. Im told there are people already on those contracts going to take cases now, but i dont know any of them that well to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,032 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You would be surprised.

Some lucky people do genuinely like their jobs and want to continue contributing to the community.

Some people want more than 277.30 per week to live on.

Some want to pay more pension credits.

I get that but most would want to retire at or before 65 if they could afford to do so, I know I would!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Shauna677

yes, it's damn awful working past 60 not alone 65/70 .

OP if you can afford it, take your retirement, hang up your boots. Plan new things, concentrate on family, hobbies/travel. In a short 15 years, you be glad you did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭C3PO

Not often I agree with Mrs OBumble but I for one have no interest in retiring at 65! I’m 63 now and for as long as I’m healthy I will continue to work - Hopefully, until we’ll into my 70s! I like working and for better or worse it defines me to a large extent!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

I'm 35 and I think it would be the end of me if I had to go on the dole or disability or something even now cause I know getting out working is what keeps me in a mentality then to go out and do other stuff or even DIY at home. If I was stuck at home I think I'd seize up and let's face it it's only the lucky ones that can retire and afford to be off somewhere most days and evenings. Company pensions etc ain't what they used to be

Advertisement