Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,494 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

First, the question of whether the fact that Burke has an employment dispute with the school amounts to a "reasonable excuse"

A High Court and A Court of Appeal ruled he has no excuse to be there reasonable or otherwise, that's why there is a permanent injunction against him.

The report you quote only says that the school is "concerned"

No it doesn't, and I quoted it twice.

It clearly states the school are "most anxious".

But, breach of the injumction? They've got him cold on that. Plus, proceedings for breaching the injunction will be a lot quicker than a prosecution for s. 13 trespass, and the sanction will be a lot heavier. So, if if there were a cast-iron case for s.13 trespass — and, on what we've got so far, there isn't — I can see why everyone, even the school, might want to pursue the contempt route instead. Even if he were to be convicted, in terms of what the school wants, and what the authorities want. that acheives nothing.

It's very simple, the civil route puts the onus, expense and stress on the school.

The criminal route alleviates that, but just as important the state does not detain a citizen indefinitely without a trial.

That is a no no, the alarm bells rang on it 20 years and continue to be rang since.

You don't wait for a child to be actively harassed in a school before safe guards kick in. I would have thought that would be obvious.

The school is mandated by it's governance to over engineer child safety.

The children have already stated in a letter handed to him that the coward refused to read that his presence was distressing.

You seem to be going out of your way to justify the cretins actions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He's in a nasty and very personal dispute with the school and has a history of irrational behaviour. The potential for this to escalate to a stand off situation with Gardai on the school premises is very real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

What's the weather today? 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's been going on for two years, in that time he has spent multiple days outside that school before being sent to jail.

How come it hasn't escalated yet?

• Advertisement

😂.…

This. His irrational behaviour is growing far more acute.

For the life of me I can not understand how the parents are not descending on the school en masse.

I do wonder if someone of "importance" was attached to the school, like a Superintendents or Ministers Child would the school be left hung out to deal with it in the civil courts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He's also taken multiple court cases which he is gradually losing. We are getting closer and closer to the end of this and he knows that too. As you get towards the end of such a nasty dispute things do escalate.

I don't know if it is or isn't going to by the way, but it certainly has the potential to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭afatbollix

He went to the school this morning then left at 11am and hasn't showed up at court.

Not sure if he's trying to extend it as much as possible or wants a very public arrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Choochtown

If an unauthorised person enters a school building it is a breach of child safety regulations.

It really is that simple.

EVERYONE who enters a school building (including plumbers, BoM representatives, caterers, parents, social workers, politicians etc etc etc) MUST be authorised to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭wandererz

RTE news : Judge orders Enoch Burke ordered to appear before court

http://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2024/0830/1467498-enoch-burke-court/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

he’s been ordered to appear before the high court

On rte news app now

So Mammy and Ammi showed up in Court this morning, but Enoch didn't.

Seems cowardly to me that he sent his mammy and sister to speak for him.

Before being removed from court this afternoon, Martina Burke told the judge this was "all because of transgender ideology". She asked if the judge wanted Mr Burke to affirm puberty blockers and the suicide of children and said it was a disgrace.

Ammi Burke said Mr Burke was being denied his constitutional rights. However Judge O'Donnell told her Mr Burke’s rights were being vindicated by allowing him an opportunity to address the court.

Gardai will be called if he shows up on Monday, if he is not picked up before then. He clearly wants a public arrest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The blockers and suicide mention, was that today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

have you a link for where the gardai will be called in on Monday?

KIDDING!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

in a round about way they have now landed in the same space as the other high profile planks we see on social media - using pseudo child welfare concerns to push their uber conservative bigoted agenda. Are the Burkes now trying to say that Enoch's actions in the school were related to child suicide and puberty blockers as opposed to what they have been saying all along that his actions were about his religious beliefs?

It is up to the school to contact the guards to compel him to appear in court as they appeal to the court of health and safety concerns to children and staff.

This was always farce but it is an absolute scandal now.

Also from the report on the RTE website linked above:

Barrister Rosemary Mallon, speaking for the school, said the school's lawyers would send the order to the garda station and would liaise with the local superintendent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Martina with a level of strawmanning that many boards posters would be proud of!

• Advertisement

If I was a betting woman, I'd put money on it that he will turn up at the school on Monday, where there will be a few "concerned citizen journalists" just conveniently hanging around when the Gardaí are called.

The fam will probably show up too.

Would I get good odds?

No, they are being pure chancers. They are playing with fire on the blockers and suicide of children angle, taking what the British Govt and the N/I Assembly parties have decided to do, blocking the provision of puberty blockers following from the UK Cass report on UK psychologists and provision of blockers to children around puberty at the clinics there, as a weapon to bash the medics and bamboozle the public this side of the border using scare words like suicide. They might run with the old claim they were thinking about the children all the time.

Post edited by aloyisious on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,356 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fact remains, you said he got a penalty of two years but he didn't. Every day, every hour of that was entirely self-imposed. He need not have served one minute in prison except for his own stupidity in refusing to purge his contempt and obey the orders of the court.

You know, the courts where his family frequently try to gain things for themseves or force others to do their bidding, but regard as having no authority over the Burkes themselves when the shoe is on the other foot.

Burke is not just protesting OUTSIDE his place of work, he is entering its grounds and indeed the premises itself, despite a court order not to do so. In other words the courts have (repeatedly) looked at his method of "protest" and not deemed it a legitimate protest. He is as free as anyone else is to protest within the law, what he should not be free to do is harass a school, its staff and pupils.

Scrap the cap!

Arrest after man barricades himself inside Mayo house (rte.ie)

Thought this was Enoch for a second, 😏

(It's not!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,356 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Scrap the cap!

That would be nice, concerned journalists standing close to the Gardai asking them what was going on while the Gardai were detaining Enoch for the purpose of arrest on foot of a high court order. I don't think I would fancy being a locally resident TD of a Govt party over the weekend.

I wonder if the order made today is only for him to be brought before the Court, or will he be brought to Mountjoy?

I really wouldn't like to see a melee breaking out at the school on Monday, and I think that's possible, with certain unsavoury characters now hanging around and getting in on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭wandererz

It's for him to be brought to the court so that he can explain himself to the judge.

No, as we continue to bend over backwards for this cretin, the Judge needs to hear his side of the story.

Maybe he was just walking by the school, slipped and ended up in a staff meeting and roaming the corridors.

He said it was important that Mr Burke be brought before the court before any further orders were made as he said the court would need to hear what he had to say.

Now the school have to instruct the Barristers to track him down to compel him to appear.

Average Barrister is 200 to 300 euro per hour.

Enoch is also getting another days wages today.

We are an absolute laughing stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Planned but random location checkpoint on his route to the school would work out best for everyone.

Advertisement