Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband switch deals

1333435363739»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭moonboy52

A point that that is rarely mentioned, is whether the ISP allows the ability to use ones own Router, through bridging.

Being locked in to using the ISP's Router and its limitations, seems to be the norm these days though, sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Definitely not the case with ftth as the "modeming" is already done at the point of entry. With VM co-ax you simply contact them and ask for bridge mode to be enabled on their modem then put your router behind it. Fttc logon details are always available from the provider.

Still on VM 250MB, for fear of not being able to use my own router.

Probably still stuck in the 2012 mindset regarding bridging. You raise a great point, @CoBo55 regarding fibre. Never thought about that scenario. Food for thought, cheers.

I read that people online with FTTH in other countries are able to use their own equipment, but could be completely wrong.

Either way for one i value using a good Router, that has not been nerfed and not potentially being stuck behind CGNAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Naa I was happy with €30 a month for 500 MBPS, especially given that's the cheapest 12- month deal at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Any VM router can be bridged from the white one onwards, in saying that 250 meg is more than enough for anyone. I don't understand what nerfed or cgnat means. I think providers have finally copped on and are supplying reasonably decent routers now, the one I got from Pure is great, I plugged it in in April and haven't had to go near it since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭savemejebus

On openeir ftth I've never had an issue using my own equipment for the internet part. Would only have had to bridge to use the phone service with vodafone as they wouldn't give sip details but for the actual broadband any provider i've used (airwire, pure, vodafone) have happily given me login details to use my own equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭Nollog

Siro use pppoe, which usually means username: sky password: sky or something like that, so it's really easy to use your own router.

A good router would also let you spoof a mac address, so if they check for that, a very easy workaround. (Nobody I've been with have - sky, voda, pure so far)

Really appreciate the feedback guys. Assumed there was a trend of not allowing ones own Router to be properly bridged, which seems to be far from correct.

Just so i explain the previous point a little better, the ability to put the ISP Router into Modem mode (and then bridge ones own Router), is what i am on about.

Not just adding a Router and experiencing a Double NAT situation, as a result.

Possibly living in the past and this is just a coaxial thing

(By nerfing i mean not having the ability to login as root using SSH etc, and CGNAT hampers the ability to be connectable to download Linux ISO's)

Anyways appreciate the input folks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭ongarite

With SIRO or fibre you don't even need to use the providers router so no double NAT or bridging needed.

The ONT (the small box that the fibre connects) is the modem.

Free to use your own router, mesh system or whatever equipment you have, once you have the ISP login credentials. These are widely available.

I'm on SIRO with Sky using Google Nest direct to ONT. Can switch to Pure next time & just change login details on Nest & I'm online again.

Post edited by ongarite on

Advertisement