Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

looking for ideas for work experience in aviation industry

• 30-08-2024 5:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭

My 16 year old son is in transition year and will have to do 2 x 1 week work experiences in October and November. He is a very mature and diligent kid and is looking for somewhere were he can do something useful. He is passionate about aviation (and also history) -and is considering future careers in aviation- and I'm trying to find an aviation-related business for him to do his work experience in. I would love to hear ideas about possible options (or contacts, if you have any!). Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

If he hasn't done so already if your son has a computer get a Flight Simulator game on it. Like Microsoft Flight Simulator or X Plane 12.

Maybe he already has flight simulator game but its something for your son to talk about at interviews when asked of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What part of the country is he in? Does he live near (commutable distance) to an airport?

In terms of doing something useful, within a 1 week or 2 week block, don't get hung up on that. Useful at that age, and for this purpose is gaining an insight in to the industry. He won't be let do anything that could remotely influence work that is ongoing on real life equipment.

But, we all have to start somewhere, and companies know this so lots of them do facilitate work experience and the bigger ones will have formal programs around that.

Private airfields like Baldonnel or Weston may have something, or aircraft maintenance companies such as Shannon Aerospace may also be worth looking at. Obviously location will influence everything.

Identify potential companies, give them a call next week and ask to speak to someone in HR. Basically read them your post here and see what they say. If they have nothing, ask them do they know of anywhere that might have.

If you identify a company/companies, you could reach out to people in appropriate roles via LinkedIn if you're comfortable in that environment and again ask them after connecting if they'd consider your situation to give you some guidance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭Alkers

The defence forces do this also, I'm sure there is an application process

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Answering as a retired aircraft engineer,

I would highly recommend a career in aviation.

you might try Aer Lingus or Dublin Aerospace in Dublin Airport.

I know when I was employed in both companies they were very readily took on students seeking work experience.

Hoping this helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

He's lucky to have a goal at that young age, he might end up wanting to be Rap singer or a professional MMA fighter in the next few years but shur all you can do is try and help and encourage them.

I was in Dublin airport recently and all the staff in the place we went to eat looked under savage pressure, probably plenty other companies in the airport itself would be glad to have extra help and not as hectic as that place. If he's determined enough he'll make it and any job in an Airport will be a big step.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭VG31

Dublin Aerospace and Simtech take on TY students (or they used to at least).

Aer Lingus only take on relatives of staff for work experience as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Lustrum

If he wants to get out close to aircraft, I would recommend trying some of the handling agents (sky handling or swissport), or the FBOs in Dublin that handle the private jets - signature flight support and alliance aviation are the two out there that I know of. He might get a great opportunity to see a side of commercial aviation that very few get to see

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

depending on your location I work in aerospace and can sort out your work placement for the week.

Would be a more get to know how a aerospace company works kind of thing, with all different functions

drop me a pm based on the location I can get you booked in for a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Thanks. He has MS FS and can take off and land a few of the standard planes on it with ease.

• Advertisement

We're just north of Bray, so all of Dublin and surrounding counties would be doable (at least for just a week). Didn't think of Weston and Baldonnel, will contact them too, thank you!

Advertisement