Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bus gates on Bachelors Walk and Aston Quay

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭jlang

Nothing except that you don't need to be going far north for there to have been a better route that didn't involve a turn onto OCS. In time, more will take that instead of OCS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭28064212

A large percentage of private car journeys that arrived at Burgh Quay were intending to proceed to Aston Quay and use that as a way to pass through the city. Drivers that were doing that now have to go via a more circuitous route, making it a much less attractive option - it is likely that at least some, if not most, of those drivers will now use alternative routes, which do not pass through the centre.

For drivers who travel to Burgh Quay intending to go up O'Connell St - nothing has changed. However, that's a much less common through route. If your intention was to travel from South East Inner City Dublin to somewhere North of O'Connell, you probably weren't going via Burgh Quay in the first place.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

But not actually the goal of the project. If they can both speed up buses and keep access to the car parks, then great. But if they find one or two car parks get in the way of achieving this goal, then serious consideration will have to be given to CPOing those one or two car parks for the greater good.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting we ban all cars from the city or close all car parks. But it may well make sense to close one or two of the smaller car parks and consolidate them into the larger near by car parks or build ones elsewhere if necessary, it would hardly be a big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭halfpastneverr

Was a Garda traffic car with lights illuminated and a fed-up looking lone traffic guard stopping cars trying to turn left from Westmoreland St to Aston Quay yesterday evening, before letting them drive through anyway. He wasn't writing any details down in his notebook or using his app on the phone like they do when you're pulled over and they scan your licence, so doubt any infringers were prosecuted. Stick an ANPR camera up and that guard is freed up to actually do something requiring human input. Crazy idea, I know!

I've noticed no real improvement in the 26 that I pick up on Parkgate Street outbound in the evenings anyway. The bad pinch point continues to be from Wood Quay outside DCC down to Ushers Island. That ludicrously placed bus stop in front of the Four Courts Hostel on Merchants Quay needs to go in all honesty. Pick the bus up at Essex Quay if need be, feck all distance between the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,307 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Anecdotal count today had between 2 and 4 private cars, on each turn of the lights, traversing each the banned routes from Bachelors Walk to Eden Quay and from Burgh Quay to Aston Quay.

So on a 4 minute sequence, thats a total of between 30 and 60 cars ignoring the changes, every hour, for 12 hours each day.

Another complete waste of ratepayers money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Do we put a block for cars at Princes St then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

That's a matter for the car park owners to input on and a full impact assessment would be required.

Buses dont own the roads. Car drivers pay to use the roads. There is a balance, but I agree that its a difficult one to strike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Private cars still travel through College Green illegally a long time after those rules were implemented so I don't know why they think this will be any different. Only ANPR cameras will fix this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭cgcsb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭cgcsb

There is no requirement for a full impact assessment to benefit a single private multi national corporation.

Car Drivers do not pay to use roads 😒

Busses don't own anything, they are objects. The people of Dublin own their streets and pay various taxes to maintain them. Our streets are also not 'roads'. Our streets certainly do not belong to Selfridges Retail Ltd. Yet DCC has decided to dedicate hundreds of square metres of OUR public space to this company to serve their small car park. Despite the fact that this particular public space of ours is highly congested and in need of better space allocation so that we, the people who own it, can enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,035 ✭✭✭Daith

Ah I see they've put some cones on the Bridge area to try and stop people going straight from Bachelors Walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I could count on one hand the number of times in the last decade I've driven past O'Connell Bridge. I've always avoided it in a car because it's always been the worst way to anywhere. Same before bus lanes and cycle lanes and bus gates.

I'm amazing people still trying to crawl through this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Not quicker for most of us that need to go to hospital appointments regularly and very uncomfortable for those of us that can't stand for long periods I've fainted on the train due to lack of space and seats.

You'd have to say that's not the norm.

I will agree that public transport is not always ideal depending what you are doing. I've been in the situation where using public transport was very difficult even where it was faster. But this is why there is usually an alternative route for cars or get a taxi.

In the past I've cancelled an annual train ticket to go back driving. I will also add an EV is much less work on traffic.

I can see my options for driving are decreasing every year. While the public transport is improving if slowly. I've rarely gone to a hospital on public transport though, and I can't see that changing.

Can't imagine too many are going via O'Connell Bridge to get to a hospital though.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Possibly the Mater, Mater Private and Temple Street - it just means there are less options to travel through, however if the new restrictions are not being enforced problem solved!

There is no restriction on anyone using the quays to reach these places by car. I don't think anyone would really want to drive down Bachelor's Walk to O'Connell St to reach them though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's still quicker for most people needing to go to hospital appointments, especially at rush hour. It's been quicker getting into Dublin on literally any trunk route on the bus then in a car for decades at this stage and the disparity has only increased as they have removed more and more shared lane bottlenecks. You many not want to take public transport and that's fine, but people claiming public transport is slow are generally not correct. Capacity is an issue though, again, changes such as these will only help improve that on buses and there are already steps being taken to increase train capacity.

Outside of rush hour it may not be quicker, but then the alternate routings aren't going to be such a big deal outside of rush hour either.

I can't see going near O'Connell street is the best route to any of those places. I've been crossing the liffey my entire life and it's literally the worst route to almost everywhere, crossing in either direction ... in a car.

Probably arnotts car park is the only think you'd have to go that way in private car.

Never understood why some people drive through the middle of the worst traffic instead of going around it. When they don't have to.

Any arguments about something being quicker is entirely negated if you choose to drive through congestion like around O'Connell Bridge instead of around it.

I'm thinking the only hospital on my route I've been to thats near O'Connell Bridge holles street or the rotunda. That was before bus lanes and even back then I didn't go via the quays to get to either place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I think it's just conditioned in some people as that's how they always drove through town via and probably did as children when their parents drove into/through town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,855 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Network Direct resolved the issue of bus routes taking extended tours over 10 years ago.

Routes serving estates are still important as they facilitate local travel, and provide access to/from the city for the residents, but Network Direct established direct routes on virtually every corridor that don't take "scenic housing estate tours" along the corridor except towards the end of the route where the demand dictates that they serve estates.

We really need to move on from that at this stage.

As for the issue of orbital trips, public transport can only do so much. It is far easier to meet the demand on radial corridors to and from the city as there are far more people using the starting and ending points along those corridors.

Most orbital trips that people take have unique starting and ending points from one another, which means that it is far more difficult to match using public transport, and many orbital trips would require at least one if not two changes using public transport. It simply isn't possible for public transport to match every trip that people make.

What the NTA are doing is providing straightened orbital routes across north, west and south Dublin that link up with the Spines and other local routes to offer alternative options to going into the city centre for some people who would making one change. But they can only do so much - there are still going to be significant numbers of people making orbital trips who realistically will always have to drive.

Again, the more changes that using public transport requires, the less people are likely to use it. Were there to be a route along the M50, it would have to loop on and off at each intersection to serve an interchange stop, which in itself would not be straightforward and would add journey time, and then most people would have to make a connection onto that route from another bus, and another off it. Straight away you've made public transport less appealing to driving.

The NTA have established new direct orbital routes inside (and in the west outside) the M50 that are more frequent than the unwieldy routes that were in place before. The N6, N4, W4, W2, L54, L59, S2, S4, S6, S8 and L25 are now in place, and all seem to be performing well. The N2 is to come shortly, and the O, N8 and full W6 to follow in due course, all providing alternatives to travelling through the city centre.

The W2, W2, L54 and W6 also link in with railway stations in west Dublin, as do the C1, C2, C3 and C4 thereby opening up other journey options.

You have a point about the paucity of crossing options in the west, but the new W4 bus route, operating every 15 mins at peak and every 30 mins all day long linking Blanchardstown Shopping Centre and the Village via the toll bridge with Liffey Valley, south Lucan, Grange Castle, Citywest and Tallaght does provide a new alternative that people are using in increasing numbers. That's a big step forward, linking the B and C Spines directly.

lordleitrim12:39 pm

I think it's just conditioned in some people as that's how they always drove through town via and probably did as children when their parents drove into/through town.

I think you're spot on - people have been conditioned into driving by decades of poor investment in public transport in this country and have always driven along particular routes.

Changing those habits, particularly for older people is really challenging as they are so used to driving particular routes, hence we such huge pushback.

The 50% fare reduction for younger people will hopefully help change that mindset amongst the following generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

The crossing issue here in the west would probably be far better if there was for example a road linking Diswellstown Road with the Liffey Valley Fonthill roundabout N4 exit thing. Or maybe the Ongar-Barnhill road might spur development of the rest of the road to Laraghcon and Lucan to open another route. The excessive number of golf courses lining the banks of the Liffey don't help things.

Ultimately though, the lack of connectivity isn't really a problem with the bus services, they can only run based on the road network that is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

And how do You propose the GPO trucks pick up the mail? Or how does Penneys get deliveries? Or Arnotts?

Simple - you allow “access” traffic as well as public transport.

While that’s a positive, enforcement is the only way to ensure cars obey the rules.

I agree but the OP commented ‘that would be a start’ to ‘Do we put a block for cars at Princes St’

Are we now distinguishing between cars & delivery vehicles ( of which I’m one )?

We aleea

We already are. Access to fleet street is for deliveries and cars who are parking there. There's no reason why access to Princes St couldn't be for deliveries.

Enforcement is of course different, but there's plenty of access restrictions already.

”Access only” has been used for decades. It’s nothing new.

• Advertisement

Metro West.

Building a road link unless it was bus only would be a massive retrograde in mindset.

All that happens when you build roads is the capacity gets filled up and your back to where you started. You also destroy those areas with traffic.

Advertisement