Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

1155156157158159161»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Bruges is a PITA to get to, but is well worth a visit. Stop off in Ghent too, thats sorely underrated.

Cork - Amsterdam - Brussels with KLM and then onwards to Bruges. Or the underrated option - fly to London, Eurostar to Brussels and train to Bruges from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Very promising article. Year round flights to Brussels from Ryanair mentioned too.

Airlines in talks with DAA over new routes from Cork

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2024/08/29/airlines-in-talks-with-daa-over-new-routes-from-cork/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

UAE is a non starter due to existing connectivity out of Dublin but a non premium carrier such as EgyptAir to Cairo as a hub for the Africa/Mid East region would be fantastic.

Lisbon /Madrid for onward to Latin America will also be very helpful for many people living in Munster from that part of the world and also tourism from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭snotboogie

UAE wasn't mentioned there? Emirates is a non starter due to the aircraft. Ethiad have been refused allocation for Dublin airport this winter so there is some argument there for a possible A321LR to Cork when they are delivered in Q3 25, maybe for summer 26? Very speculative obviously. Even more speculative would be FlyDubai picking up Emirates slack from the Dublin cap on a 737 Max out of Cork.

I think the big selling point for a flight to the Middle East would be one stop to Australia and New Zealand. Qatar, who have been discussed a lot for Cork recently, would fill that role (as would Fly Dubai and Ethiad) whereas EgyptAir would not.

It seems from the article anyway that there won't be any long haul announced for 2025.

Chris would be happy with more KLM Amsterdam and more Air France Paris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,106 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Who's Chris?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,734 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

A flight to the UAE from Cork Airport would be a great success I think.

Runway appears to be an issue though. How long would we need to extended it to circumvent them? Would 1km do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭thomil

I’d say around 500 meters should be enough. Emirates regularly use 28L/10R at Dublin with their 777s, and that Runway is only 2637 meters long. Granted, the resulting take-off performance is akin to a morbidly obese albatross or a particularly lethargic pterodactyl, but they make it work.

Adding 500 meters to Cork’s main runway, which should just about be possible without excessive earth moving works, would take 16/34 up to 2633 meters. The bigger issue for me with regards to Emirates is the available apron space and the taxiways, or rather the lack thereof. I’m not sure if a 777 could turn around on the main runway in Cork. In addition, there’s only one aircraft stand at Cork Airport that can take aircraft of the size that are operated by Emirates, Stand 19, all the way in the Cargo section of the airport. This would block three other aircraft stands over there and block access to a hangar from what I can see, so it’s not a viable option for a scheduled operation.

To make a regular operation of the type of wide body aircraft that Emirates like feasible in Cork, we’re probably not just looking at a runway extension, but at the demolition of the old terminal, the relocation of the flight school and GA apron, and the construction of a full-length parallel taxiway. None of this is particularly difficult, but it would be a massive investment, one that I honestly don’t think is warranted at this stage.

Now, Etihad or Qatar are a different matter. They operate, or have ordered smaller aircraft that wouldn’t require anything but the runway extension.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Despite all the rumours, I’d say Qatar are a non starter, as they only operate narrow bodies to the Gulf and Central Asia, a long haul route on a 737 max with issues like cramped seating and no attached IFE would go against their luxury branding.

A route with Ethiad on an A321LR is a possibility as they are rumoured to be targeting Europe with those planes but you’d be relying on them looking for extra pax not available from Dublin out of Ireland. The question is whether the runway could handle it, 6,500km is considered a reliable range on the A321LR, Cork to the UAE is 6,000km. Maybe with a premium configuration (which Ethiad will be using on some A321LR) it could be done.

FlyDubai would be the dark horse, as they have connections with Emirates and Dubai would be a far more attractive P2P than Abu Dhabi or Doha. They fly a similar distance to Penang on a 737 Max 8 but again the question would be if the runway could handle it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭thomil

When it comes to the 737 MAX8, I’m pretty sure that would work. Norwegian used them on the Providence run without any payload restrictions I could notice when I made my little trip there in 2018. I would agree with you on Qatar, it seems like a long shot, but I’d just like to point out that their 737 MAX8 do operate with a two-class layout and IFE, so it wouldn’t be a reduction in service quality.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

IFE is only in business and its iPads. Economy have to use their own devices and can access the in flight services via onboard Wi-Fi. To be fair the legroom is spectacular for a narrow body and way better than I would have thought before watching this video:

If Qatar were to have a change of heart and use the 737 on Long Haul it would be an amazing addition.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Qatar could also do a flight to a quieter UK airport with a 787-8 (or perhaps a 737 Max) and tag Cork along as an addition.

Any route via the Middle East would likely be using Aus/NZ as their primary revenue generating destination and Cork-Cardiff-Doha-Sydney is infinitely more palatable than a stressful layover in Heathrow for example. The stopover in somewhere like Cardiff would be fairly brief and seamless also.

I think that would be amazing on a 787, if they could pull it off but would be miserable on a 737. 8+ hours including two takeoffs and landings on a narrowbody would be a tough sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

If Cork has any ambition they'll have to extend the runway first and foremost. It's the biggest issue in launching longer routes.

Advertisement