Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peter McVerry Trust has 'financial issues'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Yes I believe in Sweden\Norway\Finland no charities exist (was told this by a friend who works over in Sweden)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

nordic folks willing to pay higher taxes in order to facilitate such, we re not, and probably never will, hence why charities exist here, which increases the likelihood of dysfunctional outcomes…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Correct, and the Nordic countries are run much differently. Lower rates of social welfare because more public services are directly provided, higher taxes on low incomes for the same reason. We won't get to Scandanavian levels of public services by "taxing the rich" as we have some of the highest taxes on the rich, adjustment will be needed at all levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…ah not exactly true, but partly, i wouldnt overly worry about it, ireland isnt gonna see any major changes anytime soon, tis all good, no change is the way forward….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭Tow

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Company Sec is the most important position in a co with regard to proper governance.

Yes all is true, I think even the dogs on the street know that charity legislation is nowhere near tight enough. I think the numbers giving will decrease dramatically over coming years and that will cause changes to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Your friend is tin roofing, charities exist in these countries, I’ve worked with staff from Sweden seconded to a charity I worked with.

Not for the day to day stuff that government should be taking care of (Mental health\housing) from what he was saying anyway

400 suicide charities in Ireland, 75 homeless charities in Dublin this is a business model that has gone completely out of control unfortunately.

Post edited by CorkFenian on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭mikep

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Archived version

There are red flags everywhere, it's going to take a lot of digging to get to the full truth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭standardg60

The report said the trust’s board indicated it only became aware in 2023 that property was acquired from the former auditor. Still, the October 2018 deed of indenture for the purchase was signed by the former auditor and the trust’s secretary. Fr McVerry was company secretary of the trust at the time and remains so.

Clearly McVerry himself is as balls deep in this as anyone hence the silence from him.

On another note whilst the regulator is conducting an indepth investigation now this was only brought to light by the new CEO so what regulating where they doing beforehand?

Yep, this one hits very close to home for the Father.

Hope he has good legal advice. Disqualification from being a director or company secretary looms as the minimum punishment, if proven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭blackwhite

McVerry having personally signed the deed is not a good look.

I suspect that he, naively, signed whatever was put in front of him based on trusting the "professional" staff within the organisation as opposed to actively knowing that it was an inappropriate transaction. But that's still a dereliction of his statutory duties as CoSec and, if nothing else, tells us that he shouldn't be fulfilling that role.

If that is true, disqualification from holding such roles is the likely outcome. If his involvement was deeper, there are questions around criminal acts of fraud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,855 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Like the FAI and RTE, the 'answer' to the problems of a shockingly badly run organisation is to throw even more taxpayers' money at it… 🙄

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭griffin100

There’s more from the gift that keeps on giving. Dodgy house purchases and the CEO buying houses with the charities money to let to his friends.

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2024/0829/1467399-revealed-housing-agency-chief-sold-property-to-mcverry-trust/

If there was a simple way to describe this organisation it’s this from the RTE article -

‘Prime Time also revealed that the charity later gave a €200,000 per annum contract to a company co-owned by the tenant and that the contract was not offered for public tender, as required under procurement regulations. The tenant previously worked for the McVerry Trust, so at one stage he was a tenant, contractor and employee of the charity.’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

This is what happens when the government are happy to farm out vital services to charities and private companies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭Tow

No different from RTE were they paid each other big Exit Packages and claimed the CFO's job was Redundant to fiddle the Taxman out of their cut etc.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭SpoonyMcSpoon

There is no housing crisis in Ireland; the housing market has been deliberately set up this way by the better classes to make some tin for themselves. Such a corrupt country and it is sad that Irish people have no balls to call it out and punish these people who are screwing over the taxpayer.

Once the charity’s governance issues were made public, there was a reduced impetus within the charity to actively fundraise because "it doesn’t look right to be going out looking for money [from the public] in the middle" of such a reputational crisis a well placed source told Prime Time.

Instead, the charity has turned to government, which relies on it for housing and supporting some of the most vulnerable citizens in the State. The charity recently received a €15m bailout from the government.

Typical. Organisation is a corrupt shambles so the taxpayer is forced to pick up the tab.

They didn't want to ask the public for money, so they forced the public to pay via taxes. You couldn't make this up.

If it's funded by taxes it's not a charity. I can't choose not to pay taxes.

This organisation needs to be disbanded at once and criminal investigations initiated.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

Really?

All sorts of financial mismanagement at the organisations they head up, but when questions start being asked they run for the hills, so plenty of basis for comparison there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

They had completely different paths in life.

One took a vow of poverty and devoted most of their adult life to helping poor people, the other didn't.

This is not to excuse any wrongdoing by either Fr. McVerry or anybody else involved in the Peter McVerry Trust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭standardg60

Vow of poverty? More like never have to work because everything you need is paid for, and helping the poor is not with your own money either seeing as you don't have any.

• Advertisement

TMK, monks take a vow of poverty, priests don't.

Oh he worked all right.

It was his work and his life he gave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No sign of PMV himself in the last 6 months.

He wasn't slow to appear on radio or tv when he had the begging bowl out or was slagging the government.

He never looked for money for his personal use only to help others.

Likewise he never criticised Government policy in order to improve his own lot.

• Advertisement

Don't doubt he started with the best intentions. Going the eponymous route, not such a good idea. Seems it's an organisation, that he hadn't the skill set to handle. Maybe the charity sector is an area that attracts some CEO's, that haven't totally benevolent motives.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Strange that RTE should show a programme about him last night with all thats going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

He may not have wanted money. But he certainly wanted his name over the door.

The rules of his order preclude him from having money.

Are you suggesting that there was vanity involved in naming the Trust ?

Willie Bermingham called his good charity 'Alone'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Its getting like Matt Talbot walking around in pain but on weekends spending his charity take on weekend visits to the high roller tables in Caesars Palace.

So what? You might as well point out one is a man and the other is a woman.

Both ran organisations funded by tons of taxpayers' money and failed to account for what happened to that money.

The gender assigned at birth has nothing to do with this discussion.

I'm not aware of Fr.McVerry making any public statements about this matter or being asked to attend at any public forum to answer questions.

He feckin' should be though.

• Advertisement

100%.

A good rule of thumb is never donate to a "charity" when it is centred around one figure head name.

In your opinion.

I expect there will be more developments in this shortly.

So no donations from you to Sue Ryder, Barnardo's, Macmillan Cancer Support, Cheshire Homes etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blackbox

A good rule of thumb is to never donate to a "charity".

Bit of a cop out really but it's your money.

On the other hand if you put a bit of thought into it you can do your own due diligence and find a charity worthy of support.

It's a rule of thumb so yes there will be exceptions. But since most of those organisations you mentioned are UK based I don't think I will donate either. Charity begins at home.

To clarify my stance I am always very wary of charities that fundraise based on the personality of one individual figure head. In my opinion that shows a foundation based on personality and ego. The PMVT is a perfect example. I actually don't doubt that Fr Peter himself had good intentions. He was probably a useful idiot for the real puppet masters who made the real money. There are dozens more smaller examples on go fund me at the moment. These include several examples fronted by children who claim to be campaigning on some issue like an Irish Greta Thunberg. But in reality they are just a front for unscrupulous parents that know that no one would donate to them so they plop the child in front of the cameras and watch the money roll in. They do this knowing when the **** inevitably hits the fan it's the child's name and reputation that will be destroyed in the media not their one and they will be free to just move onto the next scam. I suspect in many ways Fr Peter is like these children. The men who profited from this scandal will keep their heads down and will be back on the charity board circuit in 12 months. Fr Peter will probably die penniless in a home for retired priests and the headlines the next day will all include the word "disgraced".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭drury..

All the charities I listed are active in Ireland providing much needed services to Irish people.

Thank you for recognising Fr. McVerry 's good intentions but characterising him as a useful idiot is wide of the mark.

He actually delivered for poor people for many years when the rest of society looked the other way.

Trawling through Go Fund Me pages will not give you a reliable picture of the charity sector.

Greta Thunberg never drew a salary from her activities and her foundation only existed to give money away.

It's illegal for board members of charities in Ireland to be paid.

Fr. McVerry will die penniless because he has had a vow of poverty since he became a Jesuit many years ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Refusing to give money to a charity because of a few bad eggs is like refusing to listen to music because you don't like oasis or Taylor swift.

• Advertisement

I have always been distrustful of celebrity priests, going back to Michael Cleary and Eamon Casey. McVerry doesn't have the inherent evilness of those two, but he also likes the spotlight, and it is under his watch as Chairperson of the charity that the money was misspent.

Advertisement