Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2024-25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

what’s the cutoff? What’s the earning amount at which it’s fine for random strangers to give you abuse in public and make your life miserable, for what is ostensibly playing a game?

I can somewhat understand it in the case of someone who has made conscious considered decisions to make peoples lives worse, like a right wing politician or asset-stripping business owner, but justifying giving that sort of public in-your-face abuse to a lad who’s demonstrably trying his best but just struggling to perform on a field is nuts to me and says a lot more about the abusers than the fella kicking a ball around as best he can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

He likes to wind people up, has to take it back if he gives it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well fans get pissed off with players who are not performing. I'd be guessing it's a fan that did it but I could be wrong. Two heavy defeats will get to a good few fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

fans are totally allowed to get pissed off at players. But going up to a player in public, in person, and giving him abuse is scumbag behaviour.

When did it happen, was it after a game or some other time? If it was after a game, like the same day, then it's more understandable. I don't like it even at a game tbh.

Why is a guy earning that money going on a train? I'm earn ordinary money and for security reasons I never take a train.

I dint think any Premier league footballer should be taking a train for their own safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Looks like the Everton players got the train home after the Spurs game.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/cz07n1rrgedo

On the same train as some of the supporters. Which mightn't have been the best plan in the world in hindsight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Stones in glass houses with Maupay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

What about all the other players that were there too?

I recall the time after training when they blocked off the roads after training and managed to "trap" Anthony Gordon in his Range Rover. They got their just desserts then when a few months later he left for Newcastle.

Sadly, football, the beautiful game, consistently manages to draws a certain percentage of its supporters from the dregs of humanity. They are at every club and they are used to being tolerated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I thought it's quite common for Northern clubs to use the train when travelling to London. I know Liverpool do too, and I think I've seen Man Utd use the train too. It's certainly more eco-friendly, economical, and probably more efficient on time too. It certainly beats clubs taking a 25 minute flight. And Everton need those cost-savings!

The players should be getting abuse either way. Of course, be frustrated at how they played in a match, inside the stadium. But outside of that they are regular people and should be treated accordingly. You can't just walk up to someone in the street and roar abuse at them.

They could have a bus to get them out of the area and take the train a few stations away.

• Advertisement

Just saw it now, and this is 100% what happened. Dan Burn has played the man, not the ball, and the goal should have stood. Interesting to see Eddie Howe actually saying that they got away with one there. Normally managers aren't that honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭IHateNewShoes

Hi all, apologies if this is in the wrong place but does anyone know when fixtures for the weekend of the 23rd of November are likely to be confirmed?

This is when they are expected to be released, but these dates are not always adhered to.

Can anybody tell me why Arsenal would want Sterling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I reckon Arteta knows him from the City days and thinks he can use him effectively. Plus with Nelson going on loan we are a bit light on the wings. Plus it's only a loan.

Normally I'd say big gamble, but I thought the same about Havertz, so what do I know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Sterling just needs Bolton and West Brom to emulate Nicolas Anelka's English club set.

Managers signing their ex players, or players they previously worked with, does not work out well.

Arsenal themselves should know this from how the Zinchenko & Gabriel Jesus deals worked out. They bought new players in the same position within 12 & 24 months.

And well, look at Ten Hag at assembly of ex-players.

I'm fairly sure I'm correct in saying that the only 3 managers who have won the league in the last 10 years didn't re-sign a player that they had previously worked with. Maybe it's longer than that?

I just don't see the need for Sterling unless he's backing up Saka on the right.

Sterling for a small loan fee is an absolute no brainier for Arsenal. He's coming in as a squad player who is miles better than Nketiah and Nelson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

He would most likely play on the left. Martinelli not the most consistent of player so he could provide good completion but of course there’s Trossard as well. He can play up front if needs be. It’s another option for them and with Chelsea desperate to get rid of him, it was probably done on preferable terms in Arsenal’s favour.

• Advertisement

Martinelli, Trosssrd. Havertz, Jesus. Why would you need a big name behind them? Then you've got Odegaard and Merino who can both play attacking midfield through the centre. As I said, unless he's coming in to back up Saka there's no good reason to take him. And he's rarely played on the right for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Why not take him if the deal is a good one.

He's still a good player, he'll fill a game, Jesus blows hot and cold and had injury problems last year, martinelli the same, they have lots of gametime to fill, and it prevents someone else signing him.

If he's cheap for the season, it's a no brainer. They're not marrying him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Apparently Arsenal didn’t even have to pay a loan fee or 100% of his wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭hawaii501

How come Aguerd left West Ham on loan, I always found him very good.

Was he injured a lot? Would have taken him at Liverpool for cover especially if itsa loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Martinelli has been disappointing the last 12 months or so. A year or two ago he looked every bit as good as Saka, but hasn’t kicked on. Not sure if Sterling is the answer, but if he’s on form he’ll be an improvement on Martinelli’s current form. Plus it might be the kick that gets Martinelli going again.

Sterling can also cover right to give Saka a break. Saka can’t play every game when the CL kicks off.

For all that Trossard is an excellent sub, he’s not good enough to be a regular starter in a top 4 team.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Sterling would be a very good signing for Arsenal. Burnout for Saka or even an injury would be a real concern. Getting a good deal from Chelsea would appear to easy aswell. No brainer.

Trossard has a wonderful record for goals with a limited playing time. It will be annoying watching Sterling play for Arsenal, I find them a whingy team at the best of times and now we’ll have Sterling tuning around being knocked over by someone’s shadow! But it’s a decent deal for Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

Is Saliba the best centre back in the world currently? I feel he's doesn't have the ball playing skills of peak VVD, but he gives the same aura of invincibility.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Dunk was so poor, very soft in the lead up to the goal.

• Advertisement

I'm no fan of Rice, but if people thinks that's a red card, then the game is gone beyond the point of no return. Brighton manager gets himself booked for the protest!

Brighton are niggly enough themselves

Is he better than Gabriel? I don't think there's much between them, I couldn't disagree with anybody saying one is better than the other.

As for world wide, I'm a huge fan of Bastoni and Rudiger is as good as you'll get.

Its very close between them all but if you put a gun to my head I'd say Rudiger.

Marquinhos is another great one .

I'd have Saliba over Gabriel, both quality however. It's between Bastoni and Saliba for me. Good and all as Rudiger is, he does have brain farts in him now and then. Where Saliba just looks so composed in every situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

2nd yellow for Rice kicking the ball away

and getting a kick

🤣

All fine with VAR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

What's Rice's second yellow for here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Ref has made weird decisions all game so this is not surprise at all. Main character energy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Rice deserved that red. Could have been red for the first half yellow. He then tried to con the ref and the ref saw right through him. Fair play well done to the ref.

On no planet was the first half tackle a red. Good grief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

1-1

Gabriel pretty poor there despite the keeper making the save

• Advertisement

Its a second yellow, no question. Clever by Veltman, but correct.

The yellow wasn’t for kicking the ball a foot away. It was for deliberately stopping the opposition from taking the free quickly.

As for the central defender debate….Saliba is excellent. Slightly ahead of Gabriel. But VVD is the best in the league still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Rice prevented the restart of the game. The distance the ball traveled is irrelevant. It was a deserved second yellow and absolutely brainless from Rice to get involved. He's normally smarter than that

It was out of control. In the modern game it could be interpreted as endangering an opponent. It’d be a harsh red but in recent years it’s one of those that you’ve seen them given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

This game has Danny Welbeck winner written all over it

Is that an official interpretation you’ve heard from somewhere?

It’s still a second yellow card anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The Rice second yellow is pretty much correct, but eh don’t be expecting to see that applied especially consistently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

TNT seem to have a different opinion than you. Everywhere I see is reporting it as for kicking the ball away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Delaying the restart is the description I’ve seen everywhere

• Advertisement
Advertisement