Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia-Ukraine War

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭rogber

The Economist does excellent, fact based reporting on the war, here an interesting one on how Russia is relatively easily getting around EU sanctions (basically, by getting their pals like Kazakhstan to import the goods then export them to Russia), first few minutes of this podcast explains it clearly and why sanctions are never going to do the job sufficiently:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Some good news in the South amongst the bad news.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭zv2

Yes but there are tens of thousands of Russians no longer on the planet to drive global warming. It works in different ways.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Plus I presume the burning off in a controlled manner, at this point in the evolution of industry and the internal combustion engine, would filter out a lot more harmful by products than just setting a match to it?

Whenever I hear people ranting about the Green 'agenda' Saddam's pal Comical Ali springs to mind.

The sneering contempt towards any kind of concern towards the environment is depressing, always recalls right wing populists and bitter old men: Trump, Bolsonaro, Farage, Putin, etc

A sign of Russian manpower shortage? These thugs are presumably among the very worst?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

Perhaps is people are worried about the environment (more than the people being genocided) perhaps contact your EU representative

There are 300 billion ways of helping this war end faster that are sitting in Brussels of seized Ryssian state assets that EU doesn’t want to send to Ukrainians even if bulk of this will probably endup being spent in Europe

German arms companies are supplying 30-40% of bombs being dropped on Gaza, they could be getting paid with Russian money to get it dropped on Russia instead, talk about a win win win all around

Look at all those needless CO2 emissions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The Bear brigade.

They are gonna get an awful shock when they find out what being a bear means 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Paddigol

• Advertisement

I think I read somewhere that burnt hydrocarbons are good for the soil. Bad for the lungs but good for plants.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Came here to post that same link. The Russians are doing everything possible not to pull troops from Donbas to shore up Kursk. They've already move troops from Kaliningrad. Now this.

It'll be interesting to see if Burkino Faso further destabilises as a result of this. The people there welcome the Russians with open arms. Of course the Russians would abandon them whenever it became expedient to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I've read a lot about conditions on the front lines for the average Russian soldier. This video interview from someone who experienced it reinforces the points made elsewhere: shocking leadership, terrible moral, rampant theft, suicidal missions, constant fear & abuse, neglection of injured soldiers, summary executions. Just hell on earth really.

Increasing doubts about the Kursk gamble in Ukrainian circles, and complaints that Ukrainian leadership is downplaying the gravity of the situation in the east. Fair or harsh?

Post edited by rogber on

I fear for the people in BF, even if you'd think with less Russians it should only get better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

”neglection of injured soldiers”

From the guy keeping the daily confirmed visual equipment list for both sides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

I wonder is it to do with the F16 and that it was shot down by friendly fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭engineerws

Chay Bowes on Kim Iverson

Interesting conversation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Interesting conversation.

Haven't listened. No it isn't.

Not been a good week for the Ukrainian military in general and not good to see squabbling in public

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's largely the same fight. Iran, China, Hamas, Russia, North Korea, Hezbollah and a few more are in the one camp and view us, Israel, ukraine, Taiwan etc as in the same.

Bad day for Hamas is a bad day for Russia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Just because you are fighting terrorists doesn't mean you need to sink to their level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I don't think Ukraine is short on military targets , to be wasting missiles on a shopping centre ,

Or that that Moscow care enough about civilians in cities on the periphery, to move extra air defences to protect them.

Military critical facilities- yes - but People?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ah the botnik is back. Chay Bowes is and always has been a grifter and within the first minutes of that we see what his grift is.

He has a neck as hard as a jockey's bollocks to claim people in the West live in "very dirty dangerous societies, dysfunctional places politically, maintaining the status quo in a very fertile environment for propaganda" while pimping for putin's Russia. The man clearly has no shame, nor a sense of irony.

Murder rates:

Wealth inequality:

Life expectancy:

And the one the Kremlin likes to pretend to be conservative religious people to appeal to MAGA Americans. Oh wait:

You can pick damned near every metric you care to pick and find Russia is near guaranteed to be behind the "West".

Politically? Don't make me bloody laugh. For all the ills of Western democracies, and lord knows they exist, they still pop up surprises, a sure sign that people's votes actually matter, for good or ill. Trump, Brexit, our own recent referendum. Indeed Ireland's laws and culture has shifted massively since the 1970's on a few levels. The list is long.

Russia? Same tzar dictator on his throne for over 20 years, with a brief period where he got his tipsy placeholder to keep the throne warm, until putin changed the constitution so he could be tzar for life(A Russian chap I know was shocked to find out US presidents are only allowed by law to hold office twice). His recent "election"? It was far more a vote of loyalty to the fatherland than an actual democratic election. Only mental cases in rubber rooms with crayons for sport were surprised putin won. Again.

Of course he trots out the Kremlin Script re the CIA coup in 2014. For the craic actually look up how many CIA coups actually succeeded since WW2. You might be surprised. Hint: in the vast majority of cases they failed, or they supported a right wing military junta who already had support, who usually reneged on the US deals(QV Panama, where they had to send the troops in).

FFS they fired everything they had at dirt poor Cuba, 90 miles from the US coast and after huge sanctions, various CIA "attempts", the Bay of Pigs fiasco, even poisoned cigars for Castro, never mind and actual fecking US military base in Cuba, Castro died in his bed and the government remains. This same "CIA" were apparently able to cause a coup in Kiev, followed by a number of local and government elections that reduced the "nazi/far right" element the "CIA" supported. And in a country with all the world's press and observers on the ground watching all this. Really? If you believe that I've some magic beans to sell you

Of course he trots out the Ukraine shelling Donbas killing civilians, leaving out the fact that both were at it and casualties were on both sides. Never mind - and these Kremlin grifters never mention this inconvenient fact - that the vast majority of casualties were in the first two years of that war. Look up any source you like and find out how many died in Donbas in 2021, 2020, or 2019.

How many have died(inc. Russians BTW)since putin's moronic "SMO"? How many have been displaced? How many towns and villages flattened? We can see the zone of destruction from fcuking space for god's sake. A zone that will be "dead" to people for at least a generation(unexploded ordinance is still being pulled out of the killing fields of The Great War). Russia doesn't have the cash to fix it that's for sure. Compare and contrast and see if you're in possession of a mind to change.

The level of Kremlin spin word for word bullshíte spewing from Bowes lips was enough for me after three minutes. No doubt Boris Johnson scuppering peace popped up among all the usual Kremlin bullet points, minus the usual Kremlin memory holes of Wagner coups etc of course. Interesting conversation? I'd expect a more interesting conversation from an overfed hamster, or a rock.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

They need to hit energy and transport infrastructure and make the Russians realise the war can come to them too, they don't need to target supermarkets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

The Americans need to authorise a mass strike on military targets…. and take out that **** bridge too….. the war can be ended. Biden needs to step up but is suspect he is thinking about his legacy.

"Democracy is the worst kind of government, except for all those other kinds" ~Chruchill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

God forgive me, but think next time I want to hear of Chay Bowes is to read a news story that he has annoyed the wrong oligarch (or Putin), and is howling for Irish and EU consular assistance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Hmmm I'm a little bit suspect on this (not yourself @rogber , rather the messaging of this report).

Don't get me wrong, I'd fully believe that Russia are bypassing sanctions wherever they can, and this is undoubtedly an opportunity for the poorer countries around Asia to use some leverage to extort money out of their neighbours, but the idea that the Russian economy has been "flourishing", as stated in the article, even prior to this invasion, is one that is hard to corroborate with the sheer inequality in the country and the rampant poverty in the majority of the country. Yes the top are creaming it, but there is no doubt that effects of the invasion are affecting the working demographics, countless assaults on fossil fuel infrastructure, and regular reports here of economic isolation from other countries and alliances.

I'm kind of surprised as the economist generally is solid on it's reporting, this feels like it's almost trying to be a bit…. click-bait-y?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'm not surprised Russia appears to be doing well, they're effectively at full employment, their industrial productivity has gone through the roof ,

GDP (minus the refined oil and natural gas exports ,) is likely way up , if the tank that used to cost 4 million now costs 6 because of black market increases ,ect - GDP goes up,

And if that tank gets blown up , the scrap collection adds to GDP too.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

You just said to hell with it if it hits apartment buildings, give them a taste of their own medicine.

So no hitting supermarkets, but innocent apartment buildings….. are ok?

Ukraine is fighting with 2 hands behind their back:

1. Western restrictions on where their weapons can be used (I assumed with the recent US/Ukraine security agreement, the US would treat Ukraine like any other ally and have little to no restrictions on how their arms can be used. If the UK was attacked, the US would not restrict the UK on what they can target etc… we've seen near carte blanche with arms to Israel). I appreciate the support the US has provided, but the slow reluctance has dragged this out too long. I was of the opinion of not escalating it, but I see now if the US and the West went all in the moment Russia attacked, this war would be over by now. The gloves need to come off. We've gone from no western tanks to Ukraine, to Leopards in Ukraine, to Leopards in Kursk etc…
    2. Ukraine won't sink to the level Russia will and commit wanton war crimes in the name of retribution, like attacking or passing a destroyed apartment block as collateral damage.

Sorry number 1 was a bit of a rant, I just feel the slower western counties support Ukraine the more it will cost Ukraine and also those western countries. It makes the whole bleed Russia slowly make more sense.

GDP is linked to military production so it is not a real indicator of civil progress. Full employment is because all the dole people are dead in Ukraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

Rising GDP based on ramping up weapons production to fight your neighbour is a country eating itself. Like a rabid dog eating its own foot.

The word "flourishing" is definitely over the top, headlines are often designed to attract attention, and Russia's economy supposedly growing by 4 percent can be taken with a pinch of salt. But did you actually listen to the report? The main focus is on how they are getting around sanctions and it's backed up by a lot of statistics: huge leap in goods exported from Europe to Kazakhstan, Turkey, and other countries since 2022, alongside huge leap in those countries' exports to Russia, and they are precisely the kind of goods Europe may no longer export to Russia.

I said I wouldn't care if they hit an apartment building, I didn't actually advocate it, two very different things. Of course there was anger in my post after the Kharkiv attack and my phrasing was a bit reckless. However I do think they should at least hit energy infrastructure in a tit-for-tat fashion. It's dirty tactics? Sure, but so was invading Kursk and forcing tens of thousands to flee their homes, technically speaking also criminal. Every act by Ukraine is an attempt to end the war and can be justified on those grounds, just like when the allies bombed German cities in WW2.

For those of us who don't speak french could you explain exactly what happened here and has the video been verified? Looks pretty dramatic

Edit: so apparently it's a passenger car that got hit, 5 killed?

Post edited by rogber on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

In Pokrovsk Ukraine may be in serious trouble, as is the supply lines are being effected and that puts a lot of Ukrainian forces short of supplies in south Donbas.

It increases the risk of a front collapse for Ukraine there.

Behind it there is a lot more open, empty and flat country for Russian forces to rapidly advance In..

It's the same old story, the Ukrainian Forces are outnumbered and short of ammunition and that's all on the west.

At this stage it is hard to see how Russia will not end up with most of the Donbas and if things go well for them all of it and a lot more.

Unless Donbas is part of some master plan I cannot think of, it's going to fall to the Russians within weeks. Reports are not good at all down South.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Yes the front seems to be crumbling rapidly.

Is there a plan to all of this? The Kursk invasion etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

ASAP Rocky shot his new music video in Ukraine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Try and sift through sources before just constantly every day posting random Twitter posts. Becomes thread SPAM after a while. IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

What's spam about his post? It's video footage of a Ukrainian attack on Belgorod.

As for others including myself posting twitter links. Certain twitter accounts have proven themselves to be reliable sources of info 99% of the time. Why not post them?

• Advertisement

The irony of English and Western music being played in the car.

In the early days of the Kursk invasion there were a lot of bold predictions in the thread. Anyone who said "let's give this time and see where it all leads/what the knock-on effect is" was attacked as "contrarians", "pessimists" etc, which was bang out of order and just an attempt to stifle proper exchange. Maybe those aggressive posters, who've gone very quiet, can enlighten us now?

Maybe we should have known Putin doesn’t really care about his own people so Kursk wasn’t going to distract him from his idea of ethnically cleansing Ukraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭jackboy

As we have seen in the past if Russia try to rapidly advance they will do so by driving large slow moving convoys up the road. They will get absolutely shredded from the distance.

Let's hope so. We've seen time and again that once the surprise effect goes, it's very hard for either side to make significant advances

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement