Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

1819820821822823825»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭jaymla627

The above is more of a sign, that milk recording is been dropped because of the cost/money not their to pay for it and hassle of it, in a tough year.

Theirs a echo chamber on here re profitability levels in dairying at the minute, and sneering the average dairy farmer whos losing money/breaking even, the 2023 income survey results clearly show this…

Where the blind optimism coming from that their wont be a huge amount of exits in the next 2 years given the amout of stressors in play

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Maybe a little exodus might be no harm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭yewdairy

The number of dairy farms will drop, how much that affects the milk pools of the coops remains to be seen.

Dairy farm numbers collapsed from the introduction of milk quotas. We Supply aurivo, which came from connacht gold. When NCF merged with kiltogery coop to form Connacht gold in 2000 there were 2200 dairy farms supplying the two coops. Today the same region would hardly have 600 dairy farms.

The only thing that stopped the fall in numbers was quotas going and new entrants starting. New entrants have been incredibly important to the dairy industry . We would have some mess of an industry if quotas stayed and no new entrants star

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭visatorro

everyone assumes the smaller operator will be the first to go. a large herd can have no successor aswell. larger operations can be bad farmers too. larger operations mainly have larger debt. larger operations can lose rented ground too. a problem on a large farm is a bigger problem. any amount one man farms with no debt running a good show. even if you were milking 40-50 cows with no followers and another source of income with a tidy set up theres no need for rushing towards the exit gate either.

larger place can borrow more money easier alright but where does that end. have bigger milk cheques but unless its managed right your in bother too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Grueller

Agree 100%. I run 72 cows (75 atm) and have a simple system with almost all debt being wiped next year. Have off farm income as well as the cows and let me assure you I'll be running for no exit door. I won't be a millionaire from it but I'll be snug enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭straight

Ya, people are talking about sub 100 cow farmers but it looks to me that it's the bigger guys are in trouble. Any contractor/supplier will tell you the guys that are not able to pay their bills. Alot of them are overstocked and just keep digging deeper instead of selling a bunch of animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Talk in the locality was one of the largest operation nearly in the county I'd say going wallop with unpaid land rents and whatnot. Farmer had a name for being mad for cows and doing their stint in new zealand and operating like there in taking green field sites all in rent and building fresh milking and housing facilities on them. Like greenfield but with housing systems. Don't know any more after but for the average joe the name was always mentioned by the thousand acre tillage farmers in opposition for land and the small dairy farmer just keeping their head down.

Labour, development, land cost, machinery, increased hassle it all adds up.

If the banks that financed the above let him go wallop, they'll have no chance of recovering whats owed on rented converted blocks , and face a years long process to get whatever collateral put up, and then he can play the cute wh***re and go the pip route…

In fairness the above business model unless outside capitial was used to prop up the businesses for 23/24 isnt a solvent going concern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭visatorro

I'm not anti big farmer. Plenty successful people expanded and will flourish. Just don't right off the little lad yet!! And smaller farms will get out no doubt about it either.

But everyone will go for slightly different set of circumstances whatever the scale.when I ever I went looking at secondhand parlours ,all the lads that had exited had more cows than I had and all the lads that had upgraded had less cows than me.anyway lads entering and leaving milk8ng is healthy .don't put much store in the tradition of carrying on the farm myself.let each man or woman make his own decision s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 international xl

Barryroe have taken over a couple of farms lately

Its not the next two decades the co-ops/wider dairy industry need to be worried about, theirs still a good conveyor belt of teenage/20 somethings coming behind their parents now that will help keep farms dairying , its the issue with the above successor group having kids alot later in life and alot fewer thats the timebomb…

The whole foundation of the Irish dairy industry is built on shadow family labour units, that wont be their in the future

Given how often we heard that over the past 20 years they must have most of them now.the other west cork coops don't seem to engage in that type of activity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭straight

Wilsons auctions are selling a few farms for banks all the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

So how does that work. Do they just keep the most of the milk cheque for a few months or are they actually running the farm and providing the labour themselves.
    From what I know about barryroe is that the lads that owe the most money aren’t dairy farmers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭yewdairy

This simply does not happen. All coops stopping money out of milk cheques to clear money from agri business side of the coop. But that's as far as it goes.

It at it's very basic level would be illegal to interfere with the running of another business. Even if there is money owned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

well they do have them up for sale… but whether they are actually sold is a different story… they had one in my parish up for sale 2months ago.. and never went for auction… and they have had one in another parish not too far away up for sale a good few times but it has never been sold..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭older by the day

I don't know. The COOP here are very dependent on the smaller farmer coming in, not asking the price and charging it to the account. The young guys and bigger men are well tuned in, a 15 euro bonus per ton ain't much good if they they charge 20 extra at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,957 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭green daries

Aurivo bought donegal also ....not that many got In in reality.. it just about stabilised the coops numbers. Good for they poached the two bunches in Galway and athlone the milk pool would have shrunk before now . Be very few milking cows in sligo parts of roscommon and letrim in another couple of years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭mf240

Id say the weather and the bullshitification of farming by ever increasing regulations have made a few consider their future , but some may just have got to an age to retire and have no sucessor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭mf240

The few big lads round here are getting bigger still anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The big lad here is getting bigger. Built a new 30 a side parlour a few years ago which is to be taken out this winter and moved to a block of land he's leased for 15 years. Currently the sheds are being built, pits already in and full. Water and roadways all in. Fencing on going. A new rotary is coming to replace the parlour being moved and groundworks well underway for that too. He's in the 500 cow bracket, keeps all replacements and all work contracted out. Only machine he has is an old Massey and a quad. Fair operation though. Has to draw silage about 15 miles though from another farm he's on a long term lease

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,283 ✭✭✭tanko

Could they not try eating less or going to the gym????

Advertisement